Sponsored by:

Possible to order a 992 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 08:13 PM
k_h_d
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Possible to order a 992 GT3?

I am curious if it’s possible to order a new 992 GT3 and what the wait is. I am toying around with the idea of selling my 2019 Carerra T and placing an order if possible. Other than a GT3 there is nothing else I would even consider getting rid of my T for, and even then I am not sure I would be happy doing so as I love the T.

If ordering and waiting is possible I assume pricing at MSRP would be standard?

is there any way to put rear seats in a GT3?

Lastly is the GT3 more expensive to maintain and higher maintenance for non track car?

Last edited by k_h_d; 06-03-2021 at 08:18 PM.

Popular Reply

07-20-2021, 02:44 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Here’s what will happen, some guys are going to pay huge mark ups for their first GT3 are going to be like little kids with a new toy. Then they’re going to get in their first GT3 and start driving it and say “ OMG what have I done??!!” The car is stiff. The car is rough. The car is noisy. You’ll hear every piece of gravel on the road. Unless they like driving a race car to work every day they’re going to hate it. Then they’ll say “ I’m over it” and sell it. Some guys have so much money they’ll sell it at MSRP.

I’ve had 3 GT3s, A 996, 997.1 and now the 991.2. It’s happened on every model. No so much on the 996 because most of us were track hounds. More on the 997, but not a whole lot. More on the 991.1 Every new GT3 there’s more internet racers that are dying for one but will hate it when it shows up.

I missed out on the 991.1 because of the stop build orders, so I got a 50th anniversary in the meantime. Even after 2 GT3s I’d forgotten how much of an animal the GT3 is. I was shocked how raw the GT3 is when my 3rd one showed up. And I know what it’s like. Imagine guys who are expecting a really nice smooth ride, and thinking they’ll daily it ( you can daily a GT3 but not many do) or wait till their wives find out what they just spent $200,000 on ( with ADM), when they ride in it for the first time.
Some will have a COW!

If you don’t want to pay an adm then just hang out. There will be some available after the wannabe track guys find out this isn’t the car for them. Even if they track the car, it won’t make you a super good driver, you still have to work at it and make a commitment. Some won’t go through with it.

This car isn’t for the guy who worries about his seat belt color matching his headlight ring color. It’s a drivers car with a hard edge. Every time a model comes out there’s more guys ( than the last time) who probably should have bought a turbo. They dump their GT3s within months. So do some research have your money ready. There’s always some guys who want the GT3 image and aren’t going to put up with what comes with it. There’s no sound deadening so you hear EVERY piece of crap on the road. The guys who worry about the stereo ( the music is the motor) isn’t the guy who wants a GT3 or RS. You can barely talk if you’re driving aggressively, my wife is usually shouting at me to “SLOW DOWN!!!”
Most of you will love the car. But watch the threads you’ll probably figure out who’s going to dump their cars quickly.
Heres another point. The new GT3 is probably the most incremental increase in performance ( since the 991.2) in GT3 history. So look for a 991.2 as guys move on to the new one( if your hunt for an allocation doesn’t pan out) The new upgrades are things that require the most skill to enjoy. Most of us would do nicely with the 991.2 GT3, So if you don’t want to play silly games and or pay stupid ADMs look for a 991 or even a 997. You’ll have to push hard to feel the improvement in aero, and the new double wishbone suspension ( some here are capable but many won’t notice the improvements)

One last thing. Don’t obsess with the long list of options. This car ( any GT3) is so amazing that you won’t give a flip what color your deviated stitching is at 165 mph.
The main thing is the feeling and the noise at 9000 rpm. Wait till you guys see all the “ what color wheels should I get to match my deviated stitching on my steering wheel?” threads.
Whatever you guys do I wish you all well and happy hunting!!! Don’t get discouraged with all this, just be patient and don’t lock yourself into only one option but be ready for anything.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:08 PM
Kurac
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 117 Posts

You aren’t getting MSRP on a 992 GT3 and that’s IF you are able to find an allocation. Based on what I’ve heard and read, many dealers have waiting lists 50 buyers deep. You may be able to jump up in line IF you pay a hefty ADM. So, the question would be, is a 992 GT3 worth >2X what you’ll get for your T on trade or private sale.
if I were you, I’d keep the T and tune it.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:22 PM
Captain P
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 236 Posts

This would be my first Porsche - followed the news for possible announcement date and called dealers to see if i can be on their list before the announcement - i think 2 months before. Then after the announcement, made another round of calls just to make sure. I got an allocation (with ADM). I suggest you start now and target summer next year. I genuinely do not know if you can get one this year - lots of people will have to drop off to get to you Possible, but slim.

Last edited by Captain P; 06-03-2021 at 09:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JohnnyF1ve (06-05-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 09:31 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,245 Likes on 2,732 Posts

Most dealers had a wait list ready to go before the car was even announced. I know people who are already on lists for the 992 GT3RS.

The probability of stumbling into an open, unclaimed allocation at sticker is not great. If you want a car this year, I tend to agree that an ADM is almost a certainty. I suspect that the people who got GT3s at MSRP (and plenty of them did) are those who had already lined up for the car in advance.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:53 PM
k_h_d
Instructor

That probably makes that decision for me then. I emailed the dealer I bought my T from anyways. I am sure they will respond letting me know fat chance. So are they just false rumors that I have read the 992 GT3 won’t be as limited production as in the past?

Last edited by k_h_d; 06-03-2021 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:55 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,245 Likes on 2,732 Posts

Originally Posted by k_h_d
That probably makes that decision for me then. I emailed the dealer I bought my T from anyways. I am sure they will respond letting me know fat chance. So are they just false rumors that I have read the 992 GT3 won’t be as limited production as in the past?
I'm pretty sure if you want a GT3, you'll eventually get one. Key word being "eventually".
The following 3 users liked this post by rk-d:
dashanin (06-04-2021), jimdillard (12-17-2022), WCGhost (06-05-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 10:19 PM
phila12180
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

I picked up my C2 on Tuesday and talking with the GM he was saying that they have so many people wanting GT3's that they won't be able to fill them until 2023 if then.
jimdillard (12-17-2022)
Old 06-03-2021, 10:58 PM
k_h_d
Instructor

Originally Posted by rk-d
I'm pretty sure if you want a GT3, you'll eventually get one. Key word being "eventually".
Only way I would make the switch is if it was easy. I would want sell my T in this current market and then place an order for a GT3, not having to pay a big premium. If I had to wait 6-12 months on the order I would be okay with that as I have an 86 Targa 3.2 targa to tide me over during the wait...
Old 06-03-2021, 11:38 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,880 Likes on 4,814 Posts

wrong forum
User 81423 (06-04-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 02:41 PM
seanhaus
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 150 Posts

Echoing most folks here - you will be able to get one eventually, but you need to change any expectation from 2021 to 2023. The Porsche dealers here in the Bay Area already have lists longer than the allocations they will ever receive.

The local dealer whom I have a great relationship was willing to sling me their last remaining allocation for a $125k ADM. I had a few hours to decide on it, but landed up taking the day to think about it. When I called him back the next day it was already claimed for OVER the above mentioned price. Insane times.

For now I will just keep my 992 in Sport+ and enjoy and see what happens in the next year or two. Enjoy your T and keep an eye open; either way you already have an incredible car!
The following 3 users liked this post by seanhaus:
jimdillard (12-17-2022), michaeldorian (06-07-2021), WCGhost (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 01:47 AM
WCGhost
Instructor

Received 170 Likes on 73 Posts

How long is the production run for the 992.1 GT3? Is it from 2022-2023 MY? Then is there a year gap and then a 992.2 comes out? I would really like one, but can not do the insane ADMs, but would be willing to wait 12-18 months to get one.
Old 06-05-2021, 03:25 AM
JohnnyF1ve
Racer

Received 404 Likes on 165 Posts

I'm not going to give away any details as I do not want to reveal any sensitive information that would upset my dealer who has given me an allocation, but I'm dead serious when I say very rich and very powerful people are asking for these cars. These are people who were not on the list in february, or last year, etc. These are people who have so much clout that (at least they think) they do not need to get in line early like the rest of us.

I'm talking political figures, sports figures, etc are calling dealers - including mine - and asking for our allocations that were already given out. Some of these are going to be given out to people in very high places, despite these ******** getting interested in the car months later than anyone else.

The reason I bring this up is because as other people are saying here, it is unlikely that you can get an allocation right now - even if you invite the dealer to take $50,000 extra on top of MSRP. Don't get me wrong, if you call every dealer in the nation maybe somebody will bump their list to give you an allocation for $50,000 ADM but I have a feeling that's long gone.

The situation is so much more complicated than when I got on the list at the beginning of this year, for example. Now, we have massive delays that Porsche is actively telling us about, my car is going from October to November delivery now as an example. We don't actually know how much delay and how few cars they're going to make this year because of these supply chain issues. I can say with certainty, that there will be less cars made than everyone would like to think. Up until the last few weeks or month, the narrative on rennlist has been that everyone who pays an ADM is stupid because they are going to make an infinite supply of these cars. Although Porsche has stated they would like to do that, we all know that categorically and measurably there is a real supply chain issue in basically every industry on Earth at the moment. They only run these cars for what two and a half years or something on the production line? If we're having supply chain issues right now I don't see how they're going to make up for that and make much more than they did during the last generation. And that's wishful thinking.

Very long winded answer, I haven't made a response about this kind of topic since I acquired my allocation. But since a new topic was made from a genuine interest perspective looking for the best car on the planet, I figured I would comment so at the very least the op can understand the dire situation.

Last edited by JohnnyF1ve; 06-05-2021 at 03:26 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by JohnnyF1ve:
jimdillard (12-17-2022), peeler (06-05-2021), TukeeGatorGT3 (07-19-2021), Ukkid74 (07-18-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 11:09 AM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,482 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurac
You aren’t getting MSRP on a 992 GT3 and that’s IF you are able to find an allocation. Based on what I’ve heard and read, many dealers have waiting lists 50 buyers deep. You may be able to jump up in line IF you pay a hefty ADM. So, the question would be, is a 992 GT3 worth >2X what you’ll get for your T on trade or private sale.
if I were you, I’d keep the T and tune it.
Whoa!! Hold the phone! MSRP is possible.
WCGhost (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 11:16 AM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by JohnnyF1ve
I'm not going to give away any details as I do not want to reveal any sensitive information that would upset my dealer who has given me an allocation, but I'm dead serious when I say very rich and very powerful people are asking for these cars. These are people who were not on the list in february, or last year, etc. These are people who have so much clout that (at least they think) they do not need to get in line early like the rest of us.

I'm talking political figures, sports figures, etc are calling dealers - including mine - and asking for our allocations that were already given out. Some of these are going to be given out to people in very high places, despite these ******** getting interested in the car months later than anyone else.

The reason I bring this up is because as other people are saying here, it is unlikely that you can get an allocation right now - even if you invite the dealer to take $50,000 extra on top of MSRP. Don't get me wrong, if you call every dealer in the nation maybe somebody will bump their list to give you an allocation for $50,000 ADM but I have a feeling that's long gone.

The situation is so much more complicated than when I got on the list at the beginning of this year, for example. Now, we have massive delays that Porsche is actively telling us about, my car is going from October to November delivery now as an example. We don't actually know how much delay and how few cars they're going to make this year because of these supply chain issues. I can say with certainty, that there will be less cars made than everyone would like to think. Up until the last few weeks or month, the narrative on rennlist has been that everyone who pays an ADM is stupid because they are going to make an infinite supply of these cars. Although Porsche has stated they would like to do that, we all know that categorically and measurably there is a real supply chain issue in basically every industry on Earth at the moment. They only run these cars for what two and a half years or something on the production line? If we're having supply chain issues right now I don't see how they're going to make up for that and make much more than they did during the last generation. And that's wishful thinking.

Very long winded answer, I haven't made a response about this kind of topic since I acquired my allocation. But since a new topic was made from a genuine interest perspective looking for the best car on the planet, I figured I would comment so at the very least the op can understand the dire situation.
Dire situation? Huh? Porsche is allowed to move the goalposts, i.e. produce the car for another 6-9 months to give the customer what they want. That's why the damn manual transmission was put back in the GT3 for example.
Another round of allocations are coming.
Safe to assume anyone who orders now isn't getting a car until 2022. Big deal.
Rich and powerful people?? Like Mafia? Teamsters?? lmao
Best car on the planet? Go on over to the 992 turbo forum and you'll get a whole new perspective on life, that's for sure. ha ha
The following 4 users liked this post by chance6:
GT3 Mike (07-19-2021), jimdillard (12-17-2022), michaeldorian (06-07-2021), WCGhost (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 11:20 AM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by seanhaus
Echoing most folks here - you will be able to get one eventually, but you need to change any expectation from 2021 to 2023. The Porsche dealers here in the Bay Area already have lists longer than the allocations they will ever receive.

The local dealer whom I have a great relationship was willing to sling me their last remaining allocation for a $125k ADM. I had a few hours to decide on it, but landed up taking the day to think about it. When I called him back the next day it was already claimed for OVER the above mentioned price. Insane times.

For now I will just keep my 992 in Sport+ and enjoy and see what happens in the next year or two. Enjoy your T and keep an eye open; either way you already have an incredible car!
lmao!! Gimmie a f* break. $125k ADM.
The following 4 users liked this post by chance6:
jimdillard (12-09-2022), michaeldorian (06-07-2021), superfast02911 (06-10-2021), WCGhost (06-05-2021)

Quick Reply: Possible to order a 992 GT3?