Sponsored by:

Track experience after ED pickup

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 06:30 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,454 Likes on 2,258 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
I'm doing the winter wheel set because my ED is late Oct early Nov and I don't know what my route is yet. Was trying to do some passes in the Alps but I think most will be closed at that time of year. I also like the idea of saving tread on my own tires.

I'm still hitting the Ring for the tourist day on Oct 31st. I'll take it easy of course since its unfamiliar to me and temps will be colder then.
upside is there wont be too many others on the track at that time of year ... do your homework (watch lots of full lap videos stay off of video games) and you will have a fine time.

You could also checkin with Dale Lomas (B toG) who could coach you around (for a fee)
The following 2 users liked this post by Larry Cable:
GrantG (07-08-2021), subshooter (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 06:53 PM
peeler
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
upside is there wont be too many others on the track at that time of year ... do your homework (watch lots of full lap videos stay off of video games) and you will have a fine time.

You could also checkin with Dale Lomas (B toG) who could coach you around (for a fee)

why do you say stay off video games ?? I learnt the ring on GT5 and it was the best thing I ever did, watching vids didn’t even come close for me although I did. I done a trackday and was consistent 8min laps Nissan GT-R
Old 07-08-2021, 06:54 PM
peeler
Advanced

Just to add I don’t recommend chasing lap times
The following users liked this post:
raymort (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 06:57 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
I'm doing the winter wheel set because my ED is late Oct early Nov and I don't know what my route is yet. Was trying to do some passes in the Alps but I think most will be closed at that time of year. I also like the idea of saving tread on my own tires.

I'm still hitting the Ring for the tourist day on Oct 31st. I'll take it easy of course since its unfamiliar to me and temps will be colder then.
My ED is 10/12 and plan to hit the alps that week before hitting the Ring, Spa, and Monza over the following 10 days. Thinking it may be safer to elect the free winter tires and return them shot. lol.
Old 07-08-2021, 07:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peeler
why do you say stay off video games ?? I learnt the ring on GT5 and it was the best thing I ever did, watching vids didn’t even come close for me although I did. I done a trackday and was consistent 8min laps Nissan GT-R
for me, they do not transfer the right information about the forces on the car ... it leads (again) IMO to "Stefan Bellof syndrome" - you lap it (virtually) in your F150 with a 6:49 and you're good to go ...

many, if not all, rental companies around the Ring (e.g. RSR) ask during their pre-briefing if anyone has "learned" the track using a game ... YMMV
Old 07-08-2021, 09:02 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,140 Posts

for me, they do not transfer the right information about the forces on the car ... it leads (again) IMO to "Stefan Bellof syndrome" - you lap it (virtually) in your F150 with a 6:49 and you're good to go ...

many, if not all, rental companies around the Ring (e.g. RSR) ask during their pre-briefing if anyone has "learned" the track using a game ... YMMV
Do you consider iRacing a game? It may not translate the “feel,” but with a proper set up - you can sure learn the flow.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by raymort
Do you consider iRacing a game? It may not translate the “feel,” but with a proper set up - you can sure learn the flow.
never played it - so I can't comment ... I should imagine its a pretty good simulation...
Old 07-09-2021, 05:27 AM
Skullbussa
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by raymort
FWIW I used iRacing to get a jump start on Barber Motorsports Park before I participated in the Porsche Track Experience and I felt it helped give me a little more familiarity sooner with the layout. Although the elevation changes are way more pronounced in real life (and the tire model on the GT3 Cup car was hilariously bad).
Old 07-09-2021, 05:46 AM
peeler
Advanced

I agree it doesn’t give all the info camber elevation etc…. But I just needed to get used to what was coming next.

the game combined with a proper organised trackday was perfect for me. But nothing will ever compare to seat time on track.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:27 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
And the two trips with Trakcar in 2015 and 2017 were even better than the thread
I second that !!! Absolutely !!!
No holiday will come close to those trips. Hope you're well Grant
Old 07-09-2021, 10:14 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,733 Likes on 2,699 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
I second that !!! Absolutely !!!
No holiday will come close to those trips. Hope you're well Grant
For sure, Chris! Hope we can do it again sometime
Old 07-11-2021, 11:22 PM
gt3dc
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
That thread has to be one of the best ever on this forum.
I totally agree.

Quick Reply: Track experience after ED pickup