Sponsored by:

Identify this doohickey!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 08:50 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Identify this doohickey!

Put my new car up on my 4-post lift for the first time the other day. Was admiring all of the underbody ducting and air management when I noticed a small, clear plastic tube protruding from the bottom of the car behind and inboard of the front passenger tire. It's like a thick, flexible drinking straw, and is fairly loose--it moves around in the opening it protrudes from, but seems to be attached at some point above. It's located in between two of the three air channels behind the front passenger tire, just in front of the jacking location. I asked another forum member to look on his car, but he doesn't seem to notice this piece on his GT3.

I suspect it might be a drainage tube for water management or A/C condensation, etc., but I'm wondering if it's supposed to be so prominent. Can anyone else confirm this on their car, or does anyone else have insight into its function?

Thanks for any help.

Old 09-29-2021, 09:18 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,561 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by paradocs98
Put my new car up on my 4-post lift for the first time the other day. Was admiring all of the underbody ducting and air management when I noticed a small, clear plastic tube protruding from the bottom of the car behind and inboard of the front passenger tire. It's like a thick, flexible drinking straw, and is fairly loose--it moves around in the opening it protrudes from, but seems to be attached at some point above. It's located in between two of the three air channels behind the front passenger tire, just in front of the jacking location. I asked another forum member to look on his car, but he doesn't seem to notice this piece on his GT3.

I suspect it might be a drainage tube for water management or A/C condensation, etc., but I'm wondering if it's supposed to be so prominent. Can anyone else confirm this on their car, or does anyone else have insight into its function?

Thanks for any help.

Whatever it is, I have it on my 991 RS as well.

Off topic, do you have a picture of the new oil tank that is now made of plastic? I’m curious how the engine area looks.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:30 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

My vote is for AC condensation or the drain for gas overflow hole in the filler compartment. Easy enough test for the gas filler, just pour some water into the edge of it (not in the tank! LOL)
The following users liked this post:
XLR82XS (09-30-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 10:19 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
Whatever it is, I have it on my 991 RS as well.

Off topic, do you have a picture of the new oil tank that is now made of plastic? I’m curious how the engine area looks.
Very helpful--thanks. I will take a look re. oil tank.

Originally Posted by PistolPete
My vote is for AC condensation or the drain for gas overflow hole in the filler compartment. Easy enough test for the gas filler, just pour some water into the edge of it (not in the tank! LOL)
I think you're probably right...
Old 09-30-2021, 11:07 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 944 Likes on 547 Posts

Looks like a blown diffuser to me.

Quick Reply: Identify this doohickey!