Quality Concerns with the new GT3

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2021, 03:25 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,829 Likes on 4,791 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive
To be fair, I loved the PDK car. But I only track 2-3x annually, and I do so for fun, not to be the most competitive driver out there. So I chose to go manual to have a bit more fun this time. Turning on blip shift feels strangely like PDK at times though.

In a perfect world we’d all own both transmissions.
I am similar, although I track a bit more (probably more like 6-8x a year, maybe a bit more depending on schedule) and for me because I am only doing it for fun, I actually prefer a MT car for track duty. The PDK or any DCT transmission makes the experience too much like a video game. I am not looking for the fastest lap times, simply being able to improve upon my own lap times, and doing it with a MT simply allows for more inputs from me, creating the most wide-ranging experience as possible every single time out for a track session.

The PDK is much better suited for daily duty as a daily driver -- in traffic, going from A to B, and back country mountain carving.

YMMV.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
kyrocks (12-03-2021), Mercuriell (12-02-2021)
Old 12-02-2021, 10:38 PM
johnr265
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

I will chime in. Overall, I am happy with the car but I have had a number of electrical gremlins. I know these aren't driving related and if the car didn't have them, I wouldn't care but if the car has them and they don't work, that bothers me. A couple of times, the main screen freezes, and then resets in the middle of driving. The sport mode rotator **** on the steering wheel sometimes freezes and I can't change the setting, I have had times where I couldn't shut off the auto-start/stop function for the same reason. Problems with the bluetooth connecting, and wireless Apple play doesn't work. Several times, I have had it say it couldn't tell if my key was in the car and asked me to bring it up to the dashboard.

I am also annoyed that on the right dash screen, there are certain screens you cannot remove from the rotation. I don't need the torque/hp screen for example but you cannot get rid of it. Likewise, you cannot add the radio display (if you have the nav on the main screen). All of these were possible in the 991.2. The base stereo on my last 3 GT cars was the sound package plus radio and it was just fine (I don't need a high end stereo in a GT car). The base stereo in the 992 is really bad. Reminds me of the one that was in my 04 GT3 which was AM radio quality.

I had a trim piece on the door that was broken on delivery and got a nail in the tire after 700 miles (but I don't blame Porsche for that ).

Again, all of this is in the spirit of nit picking. The car is otherwise beautiful and the interior looks great. The only real driving dynamic complaint is a weird one which happens when you are rolling through a stop, down shift into 2nd and give it gas. There is a very odd hesitation/lurch. I have been driving manual cars on road and track for 30 years, am a pretty proficient heel/toe driver, and have never seen this behavior in another car. Still trying to pin down exactly what's going on there. Seems like an electronic throttle position issue.

Last edited by johnr265; 12-02-2021 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:44 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by johnr265
I will chime in. Overall, I am happy with the car but I have had a number of electrical gremlins. I know these aren't driving related and if the car didn't have them, I wouldn't care but if the car has them and they don't work, that bothers me. A couple of times, the main screen freezes, and then resets in the middle of driving. The sport mode rotator **** on the steering wheel sometimes freezes and I can't change the setting, I have had times where I couldn't shut off the auto-start/stop function for the same reason. Problems with the bluetooth connecting, and wireless Apple play doesn't work.

I am also annoyed that on the right dash screen, there are certain screens you cannot remove from the rotation. I don't need the torque/hp screen for example but you cannot get rid of it. Likewise, you cannot add the radio display (if you have the nav on the main screen). All of these were possible in the 991.2. The base stereo on my last 3 GT cars was the sound package plus radio and it was just fine (I don't need a high end stereo in a GT car). The base stereo in the 992 is really bad. Reminds me of the one that was in my 04 GT3 which was AM radio quality.

I had a trim piece on the door that was broken on delivery and got a nail in the tire after 700 miles (but I don't blame Porsche for that ).

Again, all of this is in the spirit of nit picking. The car is otherwise beautiful and the interior looks great. The only real driving dynamic complaint is a weird one which happens when you are rolling through a stop, down shift into 2nd and give it gas. There is a very odd hesitation/lurch. I have been driving manual cars on road and track for 30 years, am a pretty proficient heel/toe driver, and have never seen this behavior in another car. Still trying to pin down exactly what's going on there. Seems like an electronic throttle position issue.
I think much of this is the PCM 6.0. I had a Taycan for a while, and had similar hiccups with CarPlay, and other things not linking or operating correctly at times. They are working on it.
The following users liked this post:
jfr0317 (12-02-2021)
Old 12-02-2021, 11:07 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by raymort
I think much of this is the PCM 6.0. I had a Taycan for a while, and had similar hiccups with CarPlay, and other things not linking or operating correctly at times. They are working on it.
there is no excuse for PCM 6.0 , CarPlay not to work perfectly in cars costing 6 figures.

Porsche is the most profitable car company in the world. They have the resources to properly test and prep our cars so they work without issues, but Porsche chooses not to spend enough to ensure optimal quality.

shame on them.
michaeldorian (12-03-2021)
Old 12-02-2021, 11:10 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,480 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
I’ll start by saying I am immensely grateful to even have one of these cars in the garage. It is a marvel of engineering in so many ways.

This is my 10th Porsche GT car. With all of the tracking and driving I did with the first 9, I had one unscheduled repair - a thermostat went out in my 991.1 RS. Never even a stray squeak or rattle.

My 992 GT3 has around 2000 miles on it so far. In the 6 weeks I’ve owned it, I’ve discovered the brakes suck when you drive the car hard, the passenger window spontaneously cracked, there are two interior rattles that drive me crazy and the cupholder is stuck in the dash and kind of just flops around if you are able to extract it by opening the glove box and pushing it out from behind.

I am starting to wonder if this car is going to have more issues like this pop up. I don’t understand how Porsche didn’t know the windows would crack with all the testing they did. There are so many reports on this forum as well as various Facebook groups about this issue. Surely they had some of this pop up during testing, and in the real world, lightweight glass all around is likely not worth the minimal weight savings.

The brake performance is inexcusable.Yes we are dealing with new environmental regulations but the bar was set so high with the 991 brakes, any customer who drives the car hard will have their expectations shattered with the stock 992 pads. It shouldn’t be up to me to troubleshoot and solve juddering and excessive dust on my brand new car.

The rattles and cupholder issue are indicative of poor quality control - likely as a function of the global issues we face today.

The car’s performance (stock braking excluded) is spectacular. Every time I drive it I am blown away. But I can’t help the feelings of disappointment about some of these issues. Porsche has set an impossibly high bar for themselves with previous models. For the first time I find myself wondering if this car will be a headache to own.
Gonna be tons of these used GT3s sitting on lots in about 6 months.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:10 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
there is no excuse for PCM 6.0 , CarPlay not to work perfectly in cars costing 6 figures.

Porsche is the most profitable car company in the world. They have the resources to properly test and prep our cars so they work without issues, but Porsche chooses not to spend enough to ensure optimal quality.

shame on them.
No doubt. Just saying there is hope that the software can be updated/improved.

The following 2 users liked this post by raymort:
jfr0317 (12-02-2021), michaeldorian (12-03-2021)
Old 12-02-2021, 11:12 PM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by Drifting

shame on them.
Yes, your position on the 992 cars is well-documented!!
Old 12-02-2021, 11:17 PM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by johnr265
I will chime in. Overall, I am happy with the car but I have had a number of electrical gremlins. I know these aren't driving related and if the car didn't have them, I wouldn't care but if the car has them and they don't work, that bothers me. A couple of times, the main screen freezes, and then resets in the middle of driving. The sport mode rotator **** on the steering wheel sometimes freezes and I can't change the setting, I have had times where I couldn't shut off the auto-start/stop function for the same reason. Problems with the bluetooth connecting, and wireless Apple play doesn't work. Several times, I have had it say it couldn't tell if my key was in the car and asked me to bring it up to the dashboard.

WTF - this sucks!! Wonder if folks are happy about their big ADM now.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:27 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by raymort
No doubt. Just saying there is hope that the software can be updated/improved.
I suspect time is the killer issue, not people or funds. And you can't hire people fast enough to "bend" dev time/launch schedules, especially since Covid. Products get released needing more testing in every industry, and early adopters are those people. You simply can't replicate real world use/abuse from 1,000s of drivers ... many complex medical product companies keep the full development team in place for a year or more to continue to "develop" the product post release based on real world performance and issues. No one can fix them faster. I suspect autos are the same.

These little issues will get fixed on their premier GT lines.That's where the resources come in - on the back end. Dev cycles are tight and this is where Covid hit the hardest

Last edited by Chris C.; 12-02-2021 at 11:37 PM.
jfr0317 (12-02-2021)
Old 12-02-2021, 11:31 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by chance6
Gonna be tons of these used GT3s sitting on lots in about 6 months.
LOL!
The following 3 users liked this post by Johnny5Alive:
DButcher (12-03-2021), michaeldorian (12-03-2021), vlee (01-04-2022)
Old 12-03-2021, 12:12 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

I spent 2.5 hours detailing my car today which gave me time to reflect on the time we’ve spent together and the miles I’ve racked up so far

The car is so gorgeous in person and washing it, by nature, allows you to see every angle, every detail. The car is incredible and I think I needed some driveway time to connect with it and realize the issues I’ve had so far really are small in the grand scheme. I’m excited to get them fixed and put some more miles behind me.

The following 7 users liked this post by sgroer:
-eztrader- (12-03-2021), Chris C. (12-03-2021), Eric5280 (12-03-2021), FourT6and2 (12-05-2021), GTDrivershop (12-03-2021), johnr265 (12-04-2021), michaeldorian (12-03-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-03-2021, 12:25 AM
rob944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 149 Posts

Want to trade? I’ve got a 2018 Touring, it’s got more miles (almost 10k) than the awesome green 992 you have there...but no brake dust 😉
Old 12-03-2021, 08:32 AM
csfastp
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
I spent 2.5 hours detailing my car today which gave me time to reflect on the time we’ve spent together and the miles I’ve racked up so far

The car is so gorgeous in person and washing it, by nature, allows you to see every angle, every detail. The car is incredible and I think I needed some driveway time to connect with it and realize the issues I’ve had so far really are small in the grand scheme. I’m excited to get them fixed and put some more miles behind me.

I totally agree with your assessments of the car. I came to that conclusion a different way. I was at the track yesterday and it was the first time I pushed the car hard and you quickly forget the small issues and focus on the big picture. How great this car is straight from the factory for track use. I was with friends that have GT3's and GT3RS's along with 2 other 992's and was great to see the differences of the cars on track. What a great day to spend with friends and the new GT3 992. Today will be wash day. I am going miss Smokies this year. ( the Texas group)
The following 2 users liked this post by csfastp:
johnr265 (12-04-2021), michaeldorian (12-03-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 09:19 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,557 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by csfastp
I totally agree with your assessments of the car. I came to that conclusion a different way. I was at the track yesterday and it was the first time I pushed the car hard and you quickly forget the small issues and focus on the big picture. How great this car is straight from the factory for track use. I was with friends that have GT3's and GT3RS's along with 2 other 992's and was great to see the differences of the cars on track. What a great day to spend with friends and the new GT3 992. Today will be wash day. I am going miss Smokies this year. ( the Texas group)
Can you elaborate on the differences you observed between GT3s and GT3RS?
Old 12-03-2021, 09:49 AM
csfastp
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
Can you elaborate on the differences you observed between GT3s and GT3RS?
The cars that I was driving with were all highly modified cars. ie brakes, tires and chassis mods. The GT3 992 were all from factory on modifcations except tire pressure. We had 3 991's on the track and 3 992's on track running nose to trail with equal divers. After a few drinks after track went cold and a your discussion the main differences are as follows"

1.Brakes on 992 tend cool off quickly and tend to grab at the end of the straights. We noticed this condition to ease as the temp rose during the day. 992 factory brakes are not up the standard and we know why. 2025 pads.
2. THe 992 on high speed corners has a lot of traction but is differcuilt to rotate if you have a corner in opposite direction. Again this a factory setup with no changes. Easy to change with chassis alignment. The 992 will be faster than the 991 when changes are made.
3. The straight line speeds are better than the 991. The 992 requires a little feathering of throttle.
4. THe wonderful Porsche understeer that we have all have learned to love is almost gone but is still apparent. But with a different alignment it will help even more.
5. The corners where we were only turning one direction 992 was a little quicker than the 991.
I hope this will give some insight on the new GT3. Only the third day on the track still a lot to discover but so far a great car.

Quick Reply: Quality Concerns with the new GT3