Sponsored by:

(more) Lightweight Glass Drama

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 02:01 PM
Audioguy
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts
Default (more) Lightweight Glass Drama

The car had been in the garage all day yesterday. I came home in the evening and did the obligatory lustful walk around, and was greeted with a completely trashed windshield...

The glass spontaneously cracked in multiple places, with no significant temperature change yesterday. The strange part is nothing happened to cause this; no one had been in the garage, and all the glass damage is to the inside pane of the two layers. The outside pane is completely intact.

Anyone else see this on the windshield?

-Audio
Old 01-30-2022, 03:30 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

Ouch! That sucks. At least if there was a huge temp change when there could be a plausible reason. There is no excuse for what happened to that windshield. I am in CT and during the winter we can see significant temp changes and my garage is not heated. I wonder what the dealer is going to say?
Old 01-30-2022, 03:34 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,159 Likes on 993 Posts

Originally Posted by rodneyr
Ouch! That sucks. At least if there was a huge temp change when there could be a plausible reason. There is no excuse for what happened to that windshield. I am in CT and during the winter we can see significant temp changes and my garage is not heated. I wonder what the dealer is going to say?
That's not an acceptable reason though. Car wind shields should be designed to endure these temperature changes.
The following users liked this post:
PhilDunfy (10-25-2022)
Old 01-30-2022, 03:36 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,084 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
That's not an acceptable reason though. Car wind shields should be designed to endure these temperature changes.
Agreed. I had hoped since we hadn't heard about this issue in a while that it had been resolved.
Old 01-30-2022, 03:36 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,953 Likes on 4,846 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Yeah, esp. with all that winter testing Porsche does with their cars.
Old 01-30-2022, 03:46 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,564 Likes on 865 Posts

I am just curious what has to happen for Porsche to recall/issue stop sale. Given the use case for a GT3, its a matter of time before the front wind shield cracks and shatters and kills/injures the occupants during high speed driving. This lightweight glass issues started with the small triangle rear glasses, then was found on the larger door glass but now I believe this is the third front windshield cracking (at least the third incident that was posted which I read, maybe there are more). I would escalate this with the gov agency that tracks these types of complaints. I wouldnt treat the front windshield cracking as annoyance but more of a safety issue.
Old 01-30-2022, 04:08 PM
pjazz
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 136 Posts

I know nothing about 992s, but I do know all windshields are designed to crack, but never shatter.
Old 01-30-2022, 04:17 PM
George P.
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Audioguy
The car had been in the garage all day yesterday. I came home in the evening and did the obligatory lustful walk around, and was greeted with a completely trashed windshield...

The glass spontaneously cracked in multiple places, with no significant temperature change yesterday. The strange part is nothing happened to cause this; no one had been in the garage, and all the glass damage is to the inside pane of the two layers. The outside pane is completely intact.

Anyone else see this on the windshield?

-Audio
That’s what happened to my windshield last month. Climate controlled garage (detailers). No one touched the car. Spontaneous crack. When I came to look the guy said Another showed up by the time I got there. I noticed a 3rd that showed up between the last time they looked and my arrival.

When they changed the glass the installer commented that the cracked windshield glass looked like it had already been replaced once and wasn’t installed correctly. Likely at port?

It took almost 3 weeks to get a new windshield.

my cracks were on the INSIDE. You could feel them with your fingernails.

Last edited by George P.; 01-30-2022 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-30-2022, 04:41 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gpoulos
That’s what happened to my windshield last month. Climate controlled garage (detailers). No one touched the car. Spontaneous crack. When I came to look the guy said Another showed up by the time I got there. I noticed a 3rd that showed up between the last time they looked and my arrival.

When they changed the glass the installer commented that the cracked windshield glass looked like it had already been replaced once and wasn’t installed correctly. Likely at port?

It took almost 3 weeks to get a new windshield.

my cracks were on the INSIDE. You could feel them with your fingernails.
I’m sorry to hear this. Glad it got fixed. I guess the reality is buying cars during Covid will have these types of quality issues due to suppliers not using proper materials/personnel. What I am surprised is Porsche not issuing any recalls and letting cars be in use.
Old 01-30-2022, 05:03 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 517 Posts

I wonder what the ratio is of windshields cracking on a purely track car vs one driven on the street? Is it possible that this new light weight glass can’t take the slight flex of the chassis when driven on less than perfect surfaces?
Old 01-30-2022, 05:08 PM
George P.
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
I wonder what the ratio is of windshields cracking on a purely track car vs one driven on the street? Is it possible that this new light weight glass can’t take the slight flex of the chassis when driven on less than perfect surfaces?
Both mine and the OPs cracked while sitting in a garage.
Old 01-30-2022, 05:14 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by Gpoulos
Both mine and the OPs cracked while sitting in a garage.
Understood, but the initial event that started the process may not have occurred while it was sitting there.

Thermal cycling could also do it with high figment tolerances.

Last edited by Dr. G; 01-30-2022 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-30-2022, 05:20 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Understood, but the initial event that started the process may not have occurred while it was sitting there.

Thermal cycling could also do it with high figment tolerances.
I was actually thinking about the same thing that it isnt only a factor of thin glass but thin glass on a car that is very stiff/rigid. Glass probably starts fracturing while driving the car as chassis doesnt flex much and the cracks get worse with temperature fluctuation.
Old 01-30-2022, 05:28 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,209 Likes on 643 Posts

Bummer. Unfortunate that Porsche choose marketing and losing an extra pound over a dependable durable glass they used for previous cars.
Old 01-30-2022, 05:30 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,140 Posts

I’ve had 3+ hard track days at COTA bouncing over bumps and sausages, mine hasn’t broke (yet).
The following 5 users liked this post by raymort:
balucipher (10-21-2022), CarmineGT3 (02-01-2022), jfr0317 (02-02-2022), lockie (01-30-2022), tjg81296 (01-31-2022)

Quick Reply: (more) Lightweight Glass Drama