Sponsored by:

Park Assist (sensors) yay/nay?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2022, 06:37 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 608 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by raymort
The sensors work way better than the camera. Fine if you don’t want it or don’t have it, but I can tell you the sensors work way better.

So, from that camera view, how close is the diffuser from the curb?
Do you have a picture of what is actually going on behind the car in that situation? Hard to tell from a single photo vs watching the live video as you back up, but from the camera it looks like the curb vertical plane is very close to the bumper plane based on the license plate angle projection (stop!), but the back-up sensors cartoon seems to suggest the curb is actually quite far from the center of the rear bumper still with lots of room to back up more. Which is correct?

That’s great if the sensors work reliably on the GT3 for things as low as parking curbs. I suppose that would have to be the case or one could get in real trouble relying on them!

Last edited by Mech33; 04-03-2022 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-03-2022, 07:05 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Do you have a picture of what is actually going on behind the car in that situation? Hard to tell from a single photo vs watching the live video as you back up, but from the camera it looks like the curb vertical plane is very close to the bumper plane based on the license plate angle projection (stop!), but the back-up sensors cartoon seems to suggest the curb is actually quite far from the center of the rear bumper still with lots of room to back up more. Which is correct?

That’s great if the sensors work reliably on the GT3 for things as low as parking curbs. I suppose that would have to be the case or one could get in real trouble relying on them!
This matches the inside image. There was more room that I didn’t need. Just wanted to show that the sensors work and the camera sucks.

Old 02-12-2024, 10:49 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,561 Likes on 863 Posts

The configurator for GT3RS has these holes irregardless of whether park sensor is chosen or not. Is this an error or do cars without sensors also has these holes?
Old 02-12-2024, 11:39 AM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,540 Likes on 869 Posts

No 360 camera and no LCA on GT cars. That makes no sense especially with the size of these wings.
Old 02-12-2024, 11:55 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,872 Likes on 4,812 Posts

Originally Posted by Shogunade
No 360 camera and no LCA on GT cars. That makes no sense especially with the size of these wings.
It actually makes all the sense in the world.

No GT owner that I know wants ADAS on their cars.
The following users liked this post:
BE-EB-992 (02-16-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 11:58 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

I dont have it, it has a camera?
Old 02-12-2024, 12:38 PM
luuping
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Not for me, I like the cleaner look.
Old 02-12-2024, 02:50 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,561 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by luuping
Not for me, I like the cleaner look.
So you are saying if you dont have park assist, the holes arent there? If you look at the configurator, the holes are always there even when not equipped.
Old 02-12-2024, 03:01 PM
luuping
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
So you are saying if you dont have park assist, the holes arent there? If you look at the configurator, the holes are always there even when not equipped.
Correct, no holes. The configurator seems to be wrong/misleading.
Old 02-12-2024, 07:50 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

For $610 hell yes. Much better value than most of the other options. Tech is not great, but good enough.
Old 02-12-2024, 10:44 PM
speed77
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 106 Posts

I specd them on mine. Not necessary. But they make sense as a relatively inexpensive option.
Old 02-13-2024, 08:39 AM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Received 739 Likes on 304 Posts

On my 2024 I did not add the parking sensors. Useless in my opinion. I program the button on the steering wheel to bring up the rear camera and that is all I need to make sure I am not going to hit something backing up. Porsche should include the surround view on a $200,000 plus car/ the added weight is nothing.

i also did not spec the chrono clock on the dash. I have that on three other 911 992 cars and I find that ticking hand going around and around rather pointless and actually annoying. Also that bump in the middle of the dash is ugly also. I like that the dash on my 2024 GT3 is clean looking and flat worth no useless pod-

does anyone actually use this chrono timer? Every serious track guy adds a track timer like the one that Garmin released and it helps guide you to faster track times,

keep in mind even without the chrono timer the GT3 comes standard with the sport mode round switch on the steering wheel,also no $4,000 lift gizmo that only lifts the car by 1”- having that will get the bottom damaged as you don’t build the discipline to exit parking lots at severe angle to allow on tire to hit the street before the other. Look under any car with the lift and it will be damaged and increases weight in front and also possible repair costs -

Bose stereo worth every penny.

carbon fiber roof definitely.

i had the bucket seats in my GT4 - a pain to climb into and out of/ I did the standard seats and they just fine, and a lot more comfortable to use both on and off track. And easier to adjust.
Old 02-13-2024, 03:13 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,742 Likes on 921 Posts

Pass. Learned how to back up a car without hitting crap decades ago...
Old 02-13-2024, 03:59 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Received 739 Likes on 304 Posts

In Europe the back up camera is an option as is the backup sensors- here in the states I think a back up camera is required on cars now as standard equipment.

the camera shows me the curb or parking cement block just fine. It is cinematic? No - but I am not watching a film or the view- just needs to show a good scale image of what is behind the car. Also I make it a point not to back in or pull in very far into a parking spot. Easy to know when you are clearly not going to hit anything - I can always get out and take a look and move the car a little if necessary.

plus not giving you front sensors or a front camera is simply Porsche being cheap bastards, on these GT cars the cost is high and no one wants to smash the front or back of the car parking.

the additional weight of sensors or camera have to be trivial.

The sensors don’t always work on low curbs or low parking blocks - I much prefer actually seeing what is behind me.

anyone with the camera only will find it works just fine - with no problem. All the guys on here advocating spending $600 for back up sensors no doubt paid for the sensors on their car.

Just like the front end lift- anyone that has the discipline to drive a low sports car in and out of driveways or over speed bumps properly - never regrets getting the $4,000 lift - ( sales tax and registration costs). But the guys that spent the money for the lift will swear it is necessary and if you look under their front bumper almost every car with the lift is damaged underneath. Why? Because they don’t take the time to properly drive over obstacles- and they will forget to push the button and even when you push the button - the lift is not always high enough to clear really steep driveways or speed bumps if taken head on and at too much speed. If you have a steep driveway at home and a 1” lift makes a difference - the gps system is a good investment but most obstacles are not repeated that often to program the car.

approach at a steep angle - so that one wheel clears the obstacle before the second which is still on the back of the obstacle and then the second front wheel will clear as you drive forward slowly! Ignore the goofs behind you wanting you to drive past fast - they are not going to repair the scratches to your front bumper.

i would pay for surround view however as this would help avoiding a parking space where one side is a planters curb. But I avoid curving my wheels by not parking in a spot where one side is a planter curb.

I park out in the sticks to avoid obstacles and door dings:

the most annoying people drive their best up old car and park it right up against your Porsche which is sparking in the sun - multiple rows away from other cars.

I even have my wife trained- everytime she is driving any car- particularly in a Porsche- I ask her to evaluate the parking lot terrain and she gets graded on the quality of her risk appraisal of the possible parking spots.

same with parking in the spot to avoid front end damage.

I point out cars that are parked with the front end hanging over the curb in front - and particularly the ones that obviously ground the bottom of their front end on cement.

save you money on the backup sensors and the lift and spend those dollars on other useful and options you will appreciate or that do something useful.
Old 02-14-2024, 10:29 PM
Jade992
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pictures of bumper

Does anyone without the parking sensors have pictures of their bumpers. Trying to decide how much “cleaner” of a look it actually is

Quick Reply: Park Assist (sensors) yay/nay?