Sponsored by:

Break-in the GT3 on the track at Pacific Raceways

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 10:41 PM
Dr.JDK
Instructor

Received 190 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Break-in the GT3 on the track at Pacific Raceways

I took delivery of the car in March, but the weather in Seattle, oh, what can I say. With lots of praying and hoping, I finally had some clean sessions on the track with the 992 gt3 at Pacific Raceways yesterday. I wanted to ignore the reminder on the dash for the 932 miles break in procedure, but for the car’s sake, I always kept it under 7k rpm except a few occasions.

I drove 38 laps or 100 track miles yesterday and it was a blast. I have to say that this car is just unbelievable and it’s a step up, if not a huge one, from the 991 generation gt3/gt3 rs. The front end grip inspires so much confidence at corners like turn 2 and through the chicanes of turn 5a and 5b. Compared to the 718 Spyder, I can carry much more lateral load through corners. The high speed stability made the car stick to the ground through turn 1 where if flat out, car can go at 150+ mph.
My benchmark for comparison is the 718 Spyder. I track the spyder with purely stock set up, so no aggressive camber and it is on steel brakes. The biggest differences I noticed are 1, weight distribution induced driving style differences; 2; rear-wheel steering inspired agility through chicanes, and 3) much more aero equals much more stability. To elaborate, through low speed corners, I don’t have to do much trail-braking and the spyder can rotate itself quite easily. Whereas the 992 GT3, trail braking from high speed into lower speed corners requires more driver’s effort to control the car, steer, while downshifting to lower gears. It is not necessarily a downside as the 911 can accelerate earlier out of the corner thanks to the RR arrangement.
I can’t wait for the next track day. In the meantime, here are some photos of my new 992 gt3 and my best lap of yesterday’s sessions.

View this post on Instagram
The following 3 users liked this post by Dr.JDK:
lockie (04-09-2022), redpriest (04-11-2022), subshooter (04-09-2022)
Old 04-09-2022, 11:33 PM
lockie
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 111 Posts

Have you tried the Ridge?
Old 04-09-2022, 11:39 PM
Dr.JDK
Instructor

Originally Posted by lockie
Have you tried the Ridge?
Ha, another shark. Yes, I am going to the Ridge on May 10th. First time tho.
Old 04-09-2022, 11:57 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Ridge is bigger, safer and more fun. Congrats on blue GT3
The following users liked this post:
lockie (04-10-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 12:26 PM
lockie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Ridge is bigger, safer and more fun. Congrats on blue GT3
I agree. It really is a much better track. Esp with the new paving and curb refinements.
Old 04-10-2022, 12:29 PM
lockie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr.JDK
Ha, another shark. Yes, I am going to the Ridge on May 10th. First time tho.
I will be there also on the 10th and 11th.. I'm happy to give you a ride along to show you the lines. I guess I will have to put numbers on to tell us apart

Last edited by lockie; 04-10-2022 at 12:34 PM.
Targa Tim (04-10-2022)
Old 04-14-2022, 02:41 PM
Ted@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Congrats on the Shark! I'm sure we'll see you at the track soon!

Both tracks have their merits... Pacific is definitely a throwback. Big speed, big consequences, and tons of thrills! The Ridge is less straightforward and gives you lots of opportunity to get creative with your lines.

Here's a good lap for those that haven't seen Pacific before!
Ted@dundonmotorsports.com
Dundon Motorsports
+1.253.200.4454

www.dundonmotorsports.com

Targa Tim (04-15-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 01:45 PM
dsteding
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted@dundonmotorsports

Both tracks have their merits... Pacific is definitely a throwback. Big speed, big consequences, and tons of thrills! The Ridge is less straightforward and gives you lots of opportunity to get creative with your lines.

https://youtu.be/vgBkt82tfRI
You were flying Ted! That was a fun day, I’m up for organizing another one soon.
Ted@dundonmotorsports (04-15-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 02:42 PM
Dr.JDK
Instructor

Originally Posted by lockie
I will be there also on the 10th and 11th.. I'm happy to give you a ride along to show you the lines. I guess I will have to put numbers on to tell us apart
That will be awesome. I will look for a sibling among the crowd on the 10th then.
lockie (04-16-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 02:45 PM
Dr.JDK
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ted@dundonmotorsports

https://youtu.be/vgBkt82tfRI
Thanks for the video. I have watched it over and over along with another amazing lap (sub 1:25) done by a yellow 992 GT3. It is just amazing how capable this car is on the track.
Ted@dundonmotorsports (04-15-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 02:46 PM
Dr.JDK
Instructor

Originally Posted by dsteding
You were flying Ted! That was a fun day, I’m up for organizing another one soon.
Please do, I will be down for that. It’s a shame that I missed the first one.
Old 04-17-2022, 10:53 PM
C6 ZED
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dr.JDK
I'm curious to learn your opinion and that of others regarding the track surface at Pacific. I haven't been there since the track was re-paved a couple of years ago. The PNWRPCA club held one of their DE days on the new pavement where a number of attendees had significant windshield & paint damage from thrown up deteriorating asphalt in places. At the time, it was rumoured that an improper asphalt mix was used that couldn't withstand the forces from high speed cornering but I've not seen the cause confirmed. I do know at least one club member won't return due to that incident. Did you see any evidence of degraded track surface? Perhaps no longer issue?
Old 04-17-2022, 11:20 PM
dsteding
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by C6 ZED
Dr.JDK
I'm curious to learn your opinion and that of others regarding the track surface at Pacific. I haven't been there since the track was re-paved a couple of years ago. The PNWRPCA club held one of their DE days on the new pavement where a number of attendees had significant windshield & paint damage from thrown up deteriorating asphalt in places. At the time, it was rumoured that an improper asphalt mix was used that couldn't withstand the forces from high speed cornering but I've not seen the cause confirmed. I do know at least one club member won't return due to that incident. Did you see any evidence of degraded track surface? Perhaps no longer issue?
I’ve heard that story. I’ve done dozens of days there the past two years and haven’t seen it though. The track certainly needs repaving, especially 9 through 1, but that is coming with the revenue from the garages that have been built and the other plans.
Old 04-18-2022, 01:39 AM
Dr.JDK
Instructor

Originally Posted by C6 ZED
Dr.JDK
I use trackwrap for my headlights. I have dynoshield for my windshield. And My car has ppf. I am not sure what other tracks will do to the car, but I ran my spyder on pacific raceways without windshield protection film and I got some small chips on the windshield. But with proper protection, my cars are fine after a track day at Pacific Raceways. The main reason I prefer going to Pacific Raceways is that it is so close to Seattle.

Quick Reply: Break-in the GT3 on the track at Pacific Raceways