Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 39 Posts

The EU and "the Meanie Greenies"
Old 05-18-2022, 08:39 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
That was painful to watch, physically. The whining sound was beyond annoying, didn't finish video. This can't be what's in store.. who actually WANTS this?
Yes, I was surprised at the volume of it. Sounded almost like a jet. Not sure if that was intentionally placing one of the mics to amplify it or not.

However, this car is just a test mule. It will take years for Porsche to dial in this new technology. When they do, the advantages of instant torque and new technical wizardry will produce a car that will make current GT3s look a bit anemic on the track—at least from the performance side of things. Sadly, I don't know how they could replace the scream of the internal combustion engine.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:14 AM
17bhub
Rennlist Member

Location: Where I get the fresh scent of spent Jet Fuel & see Cold Smoke!
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Zero interest!
Old 05-18-2022, 10:40 AM
Geruvah
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hopefully, seeing the comments here, this means the self-proclaimed purists will not buy the car so people like me will actually get an allocation to get this thing after they take the years to sort out any kinks and everything.
Old 05-18-2022, 11:13 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 612 Likes on 295 Posts

Pretty sure it wont be years. I'll be much much sooner unfortunately. New Boxster/Cayman all electric releases are soon. 992 Gt2Rs will have some form of this with combustion. Regular 992.2 hybrid is probably signed off on now.
Old 05-18-2022, 01:38 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got a headache from the sound before he left the pit lane.
Old 05-18-2022, 01:51 PM
LJ-GT3
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I think they amp up the straight cut gearbox noise in order to generate some type of "emotional" response to throttle/brake inputs. Mission R has the same noise characteristics but lower volume. It's an engineering choice they're making to compensate for lack of IC sound. It's obvious the street cars will be more like Taycan than these cars. And I don't think the market will tolerate GT products with that sound, its a no go.
Old 05-18-2022, 01:52 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,965 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
Yes, I was surprised at the volume of it. Sounded almost like a jet. Not sure if that was intentionally placing one of the mics to amplify it or not.

However, this car is just a test mule. It will take years for Porsche to dial in this new technology. When they do, the advantages of instant torque and new technical wizardry will produce a car that will make current GT3s look a bit anemic on the track—at least from the performance side of things. Sadly, I don't know how they could replace the scream of the internal combustion engine.
Like many on here, I know what excites me, and it's sound and vibration when driving a car. I've also had the blessing to also test all different kinds of super fast cars, especially EV's like the Rimac and the Aspark Owl.. cars with 2000hp.

Last year at my car event we drove everything... and i can say that slower but more loud was more fun, than super fast but quiet. A Tesla is amazingly relaxing and impressive to drive, but it's not what we put on track, or for a Sunday drive. While I admire these companies, and I want to see them succeed. The lack of vibration and combustion sound, really leaves me cold.

IC for the win.. you can't change that special feeling that makes your ba11s tingle.
Old 05-18-2022, 03:04 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Like many on here, I know what excites me, and it's sound and vibration when driving a car. I've also had the blessing to also test all different kinds of super fast cars, especially EV's like the Rimac and the Aspark Owl.. cars with 2000hp.

Last year at my car event we drove everything... and i can say that slower but more loud was more fun, than super fast but quiet. A Tesla is amazingly relaxing and impressive to drive, but it's not what we put on track, or for a Sunday drive. While I admire these companies, and I want to see them succeed. The lack of vibration and combustion sound, really leaves me cold.

IC for the win.. you can't change that special feeling that makes your ba11s tingle.
I'll bet it's a lot more than just the noise and jitters. You can get plenty of sound and vibration from a riding lawnmower. The best thing about that ride is the beer waiting at the end of the job.
Old 05-18-2022, 04:16 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,965 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
I'll bet it's a lot more than just the noise and jitters. You can get plenty of sound and vibration from a riding lawnmower. The best thing about that ride is the beer waiting at the end of the job.
Ok.

Sound, vibration, and speed.

Get that lawnmower moving fast and you'll pick it every time over a tesla for having fun
Old 05-18-2022, 04:24 PM
market-research
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Performance wise it will be amazing. Most sports cars launched during the last 10 years are a lot faster than the previous generation. Better engines, better transmission, better suspension. But I still have most fun in 430 Scuderia or a 997.2 GT3 RS. Also have a 992 Turbo S and a 992 GT3 Touring manual. They are both amazing in a different way and extremely fast but no as exciting as the Porsches and Ferraris made between 2007 and 2012. I call these the magic 5 years of car making and they are more than fast enough for spirited twisty roads driving with a lot of involvement and drama.
Old 05-18-2022, 04:37 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Ok.

Sound, vibration, and speed.

Get that lawnmower moving fast and you'll pick it every time over a tesla for having fun
Zero turn Deere.
Old 05-18-2022, 04:39 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,997 Likes on 2,064 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I get just as excited at the launch of the newest Bluetooth activated washing machine...
Me too. I'll keep my archaic and boring Speed Queen washer and dryer and archaic 997 GT3 (or any NA GT3).

There's always something newer and "better" coming out. I have come to appreciate what I have and the older stuff. Enjoy what we have while we have it.
Old 05-18-2022, 04:43 PM
Gleebag
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 53 Posts

I’ll tend to disagree. This isn’t as remotely close to near future as people like to think or portray.

1. infrastructure is remotely close to handling it.
2. Cost to consumer.
3.Its no more “green” then the ICE. Due to mining/“recycling”.
Old 05-18-2022, 07:12 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 684 Posts

IMO race cars are the last things that need to go green.

Quick Reply: 2030 GT3!! Get ready folks.