Notices
992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It’s not all cookies and cream on track…

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 04:42 PM
Doublej
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by raymort
So, I was able to view the video on my office computer. I definitely hit something. You can see the left front of the car bounce at the beginning of second 11 on the video. You can also hear the vibration.
I can't see what it was, but I was enough on the limit that it wouldn't have taken much.
Definitely see and hear this in the video. Looked with the steering wheel was a bit to handle part way through. You had it briefly for the counter-steer but then it whipped out of your hands (hence the wipers got activated). Lots of people break digits when it does that by holding on too tightly. I think you certainly did the best you could and kept it cool by the looks of it. Glad it turned out ok.

Appreciate you sharing as well.

JJ
The following users liked this post:
raymort (09-26-2022)
Old 09-26-2022, 04:49 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Here is the track precision app data. I don’t have a time mark with the video, but it looks like ESC was just starting to activate for several yards before this happened. It may have tried to brush the brake a little causing the bump/disturbance and it upset the car. I have 3.12s on, which are very grabby.

Old 09-26-2022, 04:57 PM
Doublej
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 73 Posts

Here is the track precision app data. I don’t have a time mark with the video, but it looks like ESC was just starting to activate for several yards before this happened. It may have tried to brush the brake a little causing the bump/disturbance and it upset the car. I have 3.12s on, which are very grabby.

You certainly didn't think to long and hard about it all before getting on with it. Full throttle immediately once you were settled!
raymort (09-26-2022)
Old 09-26-2022, 05:02 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doublej
You certainly didn't think to long and hard about it all before getting on with it. Full throttle immediately once you were settled!
Lol. Yup. I had a lap to finish. Still got a 2:25 after I had to also slow for a yellow at T12…

Last edited by raymort; 09-26-2022 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-27-2022, 11:16 PM
lovetoturn
Burning Brakes

Received 893 Likes on 458 Posts

Nice save. It also looks like you were a little wider than the other guys in front. I know a lot of klag or marbles tend to live out there nearer the outside rumble strip. I bet you could have hit a large enough piece or pieces of rubber and that upset the left rear tire's grip and then you go for a ride. Your steering angle was smooth and constant until it wasn't.
raymort (09-27-2022)
Old 09-27-2022, 11:25 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
Nice save. It also looks like you were a little wider than the other guys in front. I know a lot of klag or marbles tend to live out there nearer the outside rumble strip. I bet you could have hit a large enough piece or pieces of rubber and that upset the left rear tire's grip and then you go for a ride. Your steering angle was smooth and constant until it wasn't.
Yeah, that’s as good of a possibility as I’ve come up with. The left front fender really bounced and the noise is pretty distinct. Must have been a big chunk, if that’s what it was.

There is a new bump developing just past T18 on the inside right. Pretty significant. Maybe there is one developing here too.
Old 09-28-2022, 04:40 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,483 Likes on 2,269 Posts

scary moment
early and good save!
raymort (09-28-2022)
Old 09-28-2022, 06:04 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Just sharing an “event” I had on track yesterday. It appears I hit something but not sure what. Maybe tire rubber or some stones, but the car yawed heavy at 90+.

But when you are at or near the limit, things can happen fast. Good to spend time training for events like this.

Btw, the video doesn’t really convey how quick and far the car yawed - but my hands sure show it…

Wanted to share to show that not everything is a perfect lap!

(Btw, not sure why the vbox data isn’t working)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LqDSN9...ature=youtu.be

IMHO, you definitely hit something on the track (at about the 11 sec. mark) which upset the car and caused the sudden oversteer. I don't see anything visible on track in the video but whatever it was, it was significant enough to cause the front end of the car to bounce very noticeably. Nice driving and nice save...ESC aided or not.

Last edited by DreamCarrera; 09-28-2022 at 06:05 AM.
raymort (09-28-2022)
Old 09-28-2022, 12:15 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Weird. Looks/sounds like there were two distinct moments where something upset the car? Like two different rumbles.
raymort (09-28-2022)
Old 09-28-2022, 07:24 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Weird. Looks/sounds like there were two distinct moments where something upset the car? Like two different rumbles.
This

First rumble when something (rubber, marble, lizard) upset car . It could even be the ESC activating (weird though)
Whatever it is, its your rear that lost traction - so at limit of adhesion for situation - your G meter was max at 1.46

2nd rumble may just be the TC activating.

Whatever the reason - nice save.

Had a major spin and crash in my race car this year. Reviewing video showed that I picked up the throttle 2 percent more and 0.1 second earlier than usual leading to loss of traction and oversteer. Unfortunately at 188KPH out of a downhill corner there was no chance to save.
At the limit, stuff happens. Keep driving
raymort (09-28-2022)
Old 09-28-2022, 07:30 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GentlemanRacer
This

First rumble when something (rubber, marble, lizard) upset car . It could even be the ESC activating (weird though)
Whatever it is, its your rear that lost traction - so at limit of adhesion for situation - your G meter was max at 1.46

2nd rumble may just be the TC activating.

Whatever the reason - nice save.

Had a major spin and crash in my race car this year. Reviewing video showed that I picked up the throttle 2 percent more and 0.1 second earlier than usual leading to loss of traction and oversteer. Unfortunately at 188KPH out of a downhill corner there was no chance to save.
At the limit, stuff happens. Keep driving
Yep! Thanks for the insight.

I was definitely riding the line. That’s also why I take drift and car control lessons. In fact, I’ll be doing 4 days of it this next month!

Old 09-28-2022, 07:35 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Go to 1:20 for something sort of similar (except it was expected). But I lost traction at -1.4G around turn 2 at Thunderhill. It happens a lot there if you throttle-lift to steer.

PiB993 (10-05-2022)
Old 09-28-2022, 07:43 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Go to 1:20 for something sort of similar (except it was expected). But I lost traction at -1.4G around turn 2 at Thunderhill. It happens a lot there if you throttle-lift to steer.

https://youtu.be/4oCw_flzyR8?t=80
One of my instructors pushes to have either the front or rear wheels stepping out on every turn - otherwise you aren’t on the limit. Of course on the limit, there is no reserve.
Old 09-28-2022, 08:03 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

One of my instructors pushes to have either the front or rear wheels stepping out on every turn - otherwise you aren’t on the limit. Of course on the limit, there is no reserve.
Yeah. If you're at the right slip angle, your wheels are riding that line. Someone explained it to me that there's a certain angle where the wheels are sliding diagonally across their contact patch and you actually have more surface area to grip, even though you're kinda losing traction at the same time.
Old 09-28-2022, 08:07 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Yeah. If you're at the right slip angle, your wheels are riding that line. Someone explained it to me that there's a certain angle where the wheels are sliding diagonally across their contact patch and you actually have more surface area to grip, even though you're kinda losing traction at the same time.

Plenty of slip in this lap. A little too much for best time (esp in T13 and T20 plus the bump in T12).

This was first session of the day, so I’m looking to see how each corner is gripping.

Quick Reply: It’s not all cookies and cream on track…