ibuprofen for the sciatica

The following users liked this post:
JohnnyF1ve (02-17-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 08:05 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,174 Likes on 577 Posts

portable compact jump start. 9mm. Baby wipes and interior detail spray. Road flare, safety triangle or orange cone
The following 3 users liked this post by eclou:
JohnnyF1ve (02-17-2023), shrimp money (02-17-2023), subshooter (02-17-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 06:18 PM
rob944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 149 Posts

Do it. I drove mine from Tennessee to Vegas over the course of 5 days right after I bought my 991.2 Touring. I didn't bring anything special. Maybe I should have but didn't encounter any issues.

The following 2 users liked this post by rob944s2:
heshalosny (02-20-2023), JohnnyF1ve (02-17-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 08:31 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by mthreat
I can't seem to access that thread:

I don't know why you can't open the thread.
Old 02-17-2023, 08:45 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyF1ve
Nice replies. I will bring jerky for sure.

There's no dealers in my state, nor the state I'm driving to, nor within 8 hours when I'm at the destination.

The fact of the matter is, I can't just flatbed this car for 12 hours on a whim if it gets a flat or something breaks that actually matters for running the car. So, yes, it's really something I do need to consider. I'll basically have to rent a flatbed if something goes wrong unless it's a pluggable tire or something simple. And flatbeds might not be available, if that happens my car will be stuck for days? Not sure what roadside would do for me then.

Aannnnd for the record, my dealer had my engine out for 6 weeks as there was a defective valve in my car last summer. So, **** happens.

In the link I posted above (Post #8) the rennlist member drove across the country.

Route: Miami, FL-Atlanta, GA-Tail of the Dragon, NC-Nashville, TN-IL-KY-MO-IO-Omaha, NE-The Badlands,SD-Mt Rushmore, SD-Red Lodge, MT-Yellowstone National Park, WY-Boise, ID-Bandon, OR-San Francisco, CA-Sonoma, CA-Hoover Dam, NV-Grand Canyon, AZ-Hurricane, UT-Durango, CO-Ft.Worth, TX-Santa Rosa, FL- Miami, FL.

He didn't have any issues. I wouldn't worry. When he arrived home he posted this:

Day 15

Car and driver safely home!

Incredible journey. Will post a lengthy summary of my experience and link to pics and vids. Tons of vids. Right now driver needs rest. But here are couple of quick stats:

8,816 miles
15 days
25 states
Car has collection of dirt and bugs from all 25
Speeding tickets = Zero ( although I was pulled over twice - Idaho and Texas but charmed my way out of tickets...I think they just wanted to check out the car)

The GT3RS performed flawlessly in rain, shine and 115 degree temps.
Porsche - there is no substitute!

Last edited by fskof; 02-17-2023 at 08:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JohnnyF1ve (02-17-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 09:16 PM
JohnnyF1ve
Racer

Received 404 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by fskof
In the link I posted above (Post #8) the rennlist member drove across the country.

Route: Miami, FL-Atlanta, GA-Tail of the Dragon, NC-Nashville, TN-IL-KY-MO-IO-Omaha, NE-The Badlands,SD-Mt Rushmore, SD-Red Lodge, MT-Yellowstone National Park, WY-Boise, ID-Bandon, OR-San Francisco, CA-Sonoma, CA-Hoover Dam, NV-Grand Canyon, AZ-Hurricane, UT-Durango, CO-Ft.Worth, TX-Santa Rosa, FL- Miami, FL.

He didn't have any issues. I wouldn't worry. When he arrived home he posted this:

Day 15

Car and driver safely home!

Incredible journey. Will post a lengthy summary of my experience and link to pics and vids. Tons of vids. Right now driver needs rest. But here are couple of quick stats:

8,816 miles
15 days
25 states
Car has collection of dirt and bugs from all 25
Speeding tickets = Zero ( although I was pulled over twice - Idaho and Texas but charmed my way out of tickets...I think they just wanted to check out the car)

The GT3RS performed flawlessly in rain, shine and 115 degree temps.
Porsche - there is no substitute!

Don't get me wrong I agree. But a simple ragged tire or something would be all it takes lol.

Imagine a bad tire in the black hills in SD. No dealers for hundreds of miles!
Old 02-17-2023, 10:08 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Don't get me wrong I agree. But a simple ragged tire or something would be all it takes lol.

Imagine a bad tire in the black hills in SD. No dealers for hundreds of miles!
Why would you need a dealer to replace a tire?
Old 02-17-2023, 10:11 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,145 Likes on 984 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
portable compact jump start. 9mm. Baby wipes and interior detail spray. Road flare, safety triangle or orange cone
+1 on the 9mm. I will add your avatar too (minus the cat). I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned that having a gal with you in the car is the most important life experience (next to the sound of a flat 6).

On a serious note, I did an unbelievable 3000 mile road trip in 2017 during a European delivery of a 2018 Carrera 4. Picked it up in Leipzig and hit 13 countries. Instead of going straight to the Alps like everyone else (although I did that too), I went directly east all the way to Romania. I wanted to see Dracula's castle and drive on the Transfagarsen highway. Google it. Countries included the Czeck Republic, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Bosnia, Slovenia, Croatia, Italy, France, Switzerland, Lichtenstein etc.

I was extremely anxious about getting a flat or worse yet ripping a tire. Those countries just don't have MP4Ss at any gas station. (neither does the US). I took a plug kit with me and mapped out all the nearest Porsche dealership's along the way. Bosnia and Serbia were scary for me as they were not EU countries, my cell phone and nav system didn't work and in the areas I was in, NOONE spoke English. I spent a day/night in Belgrade too. It was awesome!

If I can do that in these countries, driving across America should be no big deal. Just bring a gal.

Last edited by subshooter; 02-17-2023 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-17-2023, 10:13 PM
JohnnyF1ve
Racer

Originally Posted by fskof
Why would you need a dealer to replace a tire?
I guess you have a torque rod that you put inside your car thats long enough to break 450lb ft? You travel with this?
Old 02-17-2023, 10:14 PM
JohnnyF1ve
Racer

Originally Posted by subshooter
+1 on the 9mm. I will add your avatar too (minus the cat). I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned that having a gal with you in the car is the most important life experience (next to the sound of a flat 6).

On a serious note, I did an unbelievable 3000 mile road trip in 2017 during a European delivery of a 2018 Carrera 4. Picked it up in Leipzig and hit 13 countries. Instead of going straight to the Alps like everyone else (although I did that too), I went directly east all the way to Romania. I wanted to see Dracula's castle and drive on the Transfagarsen highway. Google it. Countries included the Czeck Republic, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Bosnia, Slovenia, Croatia, Italy, France, Switzerland, Lichtenstein etc.

I was extremely anxious about getting a flat or worse yet ripping a tire. I took a plug kit with me and mapped out all the nearest Porsche dealership's along the way. Bosnia and Serbia were scary for me as they were not EU countries, my cell phone and nav system didn't work and in the areas I was in, NO ONE spoke English. I spent a day/night in Belgrade too. It was awesome!

If I can do that in these countries, driving across America should be no big deal. Just bring a gal.
Yea, I can see that being worrysome . Appreciate the well wishes
Old 02-17-2023, 10:41 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,097 Likes on 577 Posts

I guess you have a torque rod that you put inside your car thats long enough to break 450lb ft? You travel with this?
Before you go do a practice run of removing a wheel.
Odds are even if you find a tire shop they wont have a clue.
As far as a toe truck these guys are used to hauling fords and trucks especially in the areas that you are going to be driving through.
Remember the less you have to count on others the better and less damage .
I love the posts that say if you have a problem just call porsche roadside to rescue you, or a local toe truck.
Over the years Ive learned even though it sounds easy doesn't usually work out that way.
Your average toe truck driver doesnt really give a sh-t about your fancy six figure fancy sports car.
Just sharing my experience..
Take it for whats it worth, probably not much.. carl
The following 3 users liked this post by 4carl:
JohnnyF1ve (02-18-2023), Noah Fect (02-17-2023), shrimp money (02-17-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 12:01 AM
JohnnyF1ve
Racer

Originally Posted by 4carl
Before you go do a practice run of removing a wheel.
Odds are even if you find a tire shop they wont have a clue.
As far as a toe truck these guys are used to hauling fords and trucks especially in the areas that you are going to be driving through.
Remember the less you have to count on others the better and less damage .
I love the posts that say if you have a problem just call porsche roadside to rescue you, or a local toe truck.
Over the years Ive learned even though it sounds easy doesn't usually work out that way.
Your average toe truck driver doesnt really give a sh-t about your fancy six figure fancy sports car.
Just sharing my experience..
Take it for whats it worth, probably not much.. carl
No, you're exactly right! That's really my point. There's always a few guys like "you're worrying too much, its ez" ... but they obviously have no idea what they're talking about because you can't fit the torque bar in the car, and flatbeds aren't ready 24/7 in the middle of nowhere.
Old 02-18-2023, 12:42 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,871 Likes on 4,812 Posts

No, you're exactly right! That's really my point. There's always a few guys like "you're worrying too much, its ez" ... but they obviously have no idea what they're talking about because you can't fit the torque bar in the car, and flatbeds aren't ready 24/7 in the middle of nowhere.
Honestly, if driving the car wherever you are headed is going to worry you this much, maybe it's not the car to take.

Last thing you want is to have the joy of driving your GT3 muddied with anxiety and stress.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
4carl (02-18-2023), JohnnyF1ve (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 12:59 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,097 Likes on 577 Posts

If you do decide to go you do really need to have a way to remove the wheel.
The precision set can be carried but still its heavy 18lbs.
The Renntorq is in a small case i carry it in the trunk along with a jack/plugs/torque wrench.
Some think its overkill but I've been up sh-t creek before because i couldn't remove a wheel.
Although when i first got the car i did a practice drill by removing one front and one rear wheel
I bought the Renntorq and the Precision before the car came in.
Glad i did a practice run because i couldnt get the back nuts louse.
Not with the renntorq or the precision bar/ had to buy an extension that made the bar 63" long 5 1/2' and weighs 18 lb.
I had to put all my weight 150lb on a 5' bar it to break it louse 750ft lb .
Glad i did the drill now i know i can get a wheel off never could have done it on the road..
carl

Last edited by 4carl; 02-18-2023 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-18-2023, 09:08 AM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 622 Likes on 401 Posts

Sunglasses
Snacks
Credit Card

F it...just gas and go, throw caution to the wind. Don't overthink it!

Quick Reply: Long road trip, what to bring?