Imback_Again
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 20 Posts

Oh, and a pistol!
Old 02-18-2023, 04:54 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,097 Likes on 577 Posts

it really doesnt take much space to carry what you need.
Tool bag,Renntorq,bag with compressor and jack/tire plugs, torque wrench, takes up less than 1/2 of the trunk.

Old 02-18-2023, 06:39 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,140 Posts

When are you doing the trip?

If it’s feasible, I’ll loan you my Hytorq wrench. So talking off a wheel will be super easy. It fits in a small case that you can store behind the wheel.
Old 02-18-2023, 06:48 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyF1ve
No, you're exactly right! That's really my point. There's always a few guys like "you're worrying too much, its ez" ... but they obviously have no idea what they're talking about because you can't fit the torque bar in the car, and flatbeds aren't ready 24/7 in the middle of nowhere.
First, torque wrench fits in the car just fine - most are 2 or 3-part. People who have seen one would know...

I would not go too far without a torque wrench in the car, but otherwise, it's exactly the same as any other road trip in a car. There is no difference.

And I do know what I'm talking about - I had over 50K miles across 6 GT3/Turbo S centerlock car roadtrips, most with track days in the middle - across most of the Europe and UK, and from Vancouver to LA, across Canadian rockies etc. Only 3 were cut short - broken windshield, exploded engine (known '14 GT3 defect), and fried ECU electronics (also factory defect). Flats are very rare, and most are either slow leaks (slime or even just adding air every few hours was enough to keep going) or catastrophic destruction. In the latter case, taking the wheel off was the least of the issues - it's a freaking 10-15 minute/wheel job for one person with just one tool needed if you know what you are doing. It's easier/quicker than just making a phone call to the tow company, not even speaking about waiting for the truck that can take many hours to show up, even in Germany. The bigger problem is that no one will have the replacement tire. I once had another GT3 owner send me two of his wheels with an uber, because no one had a replacement - not even two Porsche dealers nearby. But that's often the case with other cars. My wife's Cayenne had the same issue, and I had to put on a set of winters when she destroyed one tire on her Cayenne, because the replacement would take a week to get delivered.

So all in all, it the same as road-tripping in any other car, with all the related risks, just with a big-a$$ wrench in the car (I put it on the floor behind driver seat or on the shelf under the rear window to keep frunk free for luggage). Don't overthink it, and don't default to calling tow truck - it's the same car as any other.
The following users liked this post:
fskof (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 07:04 PM
BudFox6
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 43 Posts

Bring a good looking woman that doesn't complain.
Old 02-18-2023, 07:09 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyF1ve
I guess you have a torque rod that you put inside your car thats long enough to break 450lb ft? You travel with this?
Yes I do when I go on long trips. Its simple. Go over to the 991 GT3 section and there are many threads with pics on what tool to buy and how to use it.
Old 02-18-2023, 09:33 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,097 Likes on 577 Posts

If you’re carrying the renntorq, all you need is a regular 1/2 torque wrench.
It will break and retighten the nut to specifications .
the picture that I posted you can see the torque wrench at the bottom.
The first time I broke them loose it was almost impossible. Like I said earlier I had to actually buy an extension for the breaker bar..
I talked to John at Rentork Tools. He said that from the factory sometimes they can be really tight to the point where you can actually break the tool which has a maximum capacity of 700 foot pounds.
I’m glad I did it in my garage first never would’ve been able to do it on the road..
. I would recommend breaking loose and re-tightening them in your garage before your trip and make it a lot easier if something does happen.

Last edited by 4carl; 02-18-2023 at 09:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cadster (02-19-2023)
Old 02-19-2023, 11:26 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Honestly, if driving the car wherever you are headed is going to worry you this much, maybe it's not the car to take.

Last thing you want is to have the joy of driving your GT3 muddied with anxiety and stress.
This

I ride a Ducati Multistrada (on my third one for a total of 15 years). All had single sided swing arms (one nut similar to center locks). Have done countless week long trips. Did break down once in Canada with radiator leak from a rock. Prep the car but don’t over think this…
Old 02-20-2023, 09:42 AM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Radar detector, Waze
Old 02-20-2023, 02:05 PM
michaeldorian
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 285 Posts

I had the same anxiety about expensive car and miles thing until I forced myself to just enjoy the thing and hit the magical number where no one wants it any more. LOL. Drive the thing!

1. Oil / Funnel
2. Portable Tire Inflator
3. Lot’s of music
4. Ear plugs or AirPods with Noise Canceling for certain stretches of road.

Quick Reply: Long road trip, what to bring?