Sponsored by:

3RS and PPF

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2023, 02:01 PM
Tik
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennology
I had the parts department look into getting me a matte black set and they said it wasn't available in the US yet. I decided to order them from Suncoast Parts however, they emailed me this morning saying it won't ship until June 8th. I have a feeling theirs is printed by a local vendor since it's a separate listing from all the other colors.

Anyway, this timeline isn't ideal for me so the search continues..
The black decals are a separate SKU because they include only the side decals. The colored decal sets also include the 'PORSCHE' script for the DRS wing, which is why I think they are listed separately.

Either way, I think the fastest option is to get the vector file and find a good installer who can cut some vinyl for you, particularly if your decals are black (this is the route I'm taking). A bit tougher for the colors as finding an exact match will be key.
Old 04-27-2023, 02:09 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,015 Likes on 564 Posts

I tried this and it works as long as you don’t compare the color and material to the original.

In the end, I decided to temporarily PPF over the stickers, order OE from Porsche and then PPF again. It’s a lengthy and not very cost effective, but in the end it will produce the desired look I want.
Old 05-17-2023, 05:12 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennology
I will be facing the same issue soon. I just reached out to the wrap shop in Germany to see if they are willing to sell the vector file.
I did so too, but they don't want to play ball. Did you have better luck ?
Old 05-17-2023, 05:17 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 880 Likes on 365 Posts

lucky for me no stickers...

car still sitting in cincy!!!

getting an update 5/22 but not overly optimistic

will send car to graham rahal at GRP for wrap

then home to LA
Old 05-17-2023, 10:41 AM
Rennology
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
I did so too, but they don't want to play ball. Did you have better luck ?
No luck here either. I found a guy that ordered me a set from a shop in the UK, but they did not match up to OEM as close as I wanted.

They could be a good temporary solution until OEM ones become available, but I ultimately decided to PPF over the ones already on the car.

Happy to sell them to someone if they're interested.

The following users liked this post:
Ukkid74 (05-19-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 10:47 AM
Asco
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 25 Posts

I ordered my set in red from my Porsche dealer. Attached a pic of the backside, maybe it helps some of you to know that the original ones are made using Oracal vinyl. If you google Oracal 970 it will give you all the sample colors and there are a few reds to choose from. Should be easier now to find the correct color. Maybe they use the same vinyl for the other colors as well.

The following 2 users liked this post by Asco:
Chris C. (05-18-2023), SuperDarius (01-18-2024)
Old 05-19-2023, 10:43 PM
Leo_g
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

My PPF installer did not remove trim/aero pieces at my request. I was warned by the dealer if something went wrong in putting them back on it would not be covered by warranty. And apparently they have
What parts are OK to be removed? Could you please make a list of them? I talked with a PPF shop and they told me that they would definitely remove the side mirrors. How is the hood getting wrapped specifically the fins?
Old 05-25-2023, 12:30 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

NO parts were removed on my car.

Originally Posted by Leo_g
What parts are OK to be removed? Could you please make a list of them? I talked with a PPF shop and they told me that they would definitely remove the side mirrors. How is the hood getting wrapped specifically the fins?
Old 05-25-2023, 12:38 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

I just sat down with my PPF guy and took a look at the car, it’s a disaster to cover, so many parts to remove. I honestly think that Porsche PPF option for the front is probably the best for now. The OE/standard PPF doesn’t even go to the edge of the front fender, it’s sloppy at best and will get destroyed within a few weeks of heavy driving.

This is a tough car to cover
Old 05-25-2023, 03:40 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 608 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmos
I just sat down with my PPF guy and took a look at the car, it’s a disaster to cover, so many parts to remove. I honestly think that Porsche PPF option for the front is probably the best for now. The OE/standard PPF doesn’t even go to the edge of the front fender, it’s sloppy at best and will get destroyed within a few weeks of heavy driving.

This is a tough car to cover
This seems unnecessary. A good PPF guy shouldn’t need to remove anything to do an amazing job and make the PPF virtually invisible. I don’t see anything on the RS that makes that significantly more challenging.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mech33:
Brian Himmelman (01-16-2024), Diablo Dude (05-26-2023)
Old 05-25-2023, 03:53 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
This seems unnecessary. A good PPF guy shouldn’t need to remove anything to do an amazing job and make the PPF virtually invisible. I don’t see anything on the RS that makes that significantly more challenging.
have you seen the car in person? Not sure how you can Adequately get around all the vents near the door and rear without removing them.
Old 05-25-2023, 05:01 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 873 Likes on 385 Posts

Agreed. If my Senna LM can be wrapped 100% without removing any panels, then the 3RS with its simpler front end and door design, should be a cake walk.

Originally Posted by Mech33
Brian Himmelman (01-16-2024)
Old 05-25-2023, 06:13 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Howdy all! We've completed a 3RS today and are currently installing on another 3RS in our Corporate location in Austin. If you're interested, let me see if I can get some pics of the areas in question. Also, you can put PPF over the decals, but as was mentioned above there will be "air channels" as PPF can not follow a 90deg angle. However, the air channels are at best 1mm give or take in width and at a distance are difficult to notice. Especially on light paints. Lastly, +1 to @Mech33 's comment above.

On a personal note, I've been on/off these forums for awhile under my personal log in and have a '20 GT4 and can be found at COTA or H2R.

Regards,
Chris

Le Petit Garage (01-21-2024)
Old 05-26-2023, 02:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by J9277655
Does it make sense to just PPF over the existing factory decals and OEM PPF locations? I assume this will simply provide a bit more coverage in these areas?
yes u can but wont look good.
try two condom at once....

I will peel the decal off mine and trash them.
Old 05-27-2023, 12:23 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Leo_g
NO parts were removed on my car.
Originally Posted by XPEL
Howdy all! We've completed a 3RS today and are currently installing on another 3RS in our Corporate location in Austin. If you're interested, let me see if I can get some pics of the areas in question. Also, you can put PPF over the decals, but as was mentioned above there will be "air channels" as PPF can not follow a 90deg angle. However, the air channels are at best 1mm give or take in width and at a distance are difficult to notice. Especially on light paints. Lastly, +1 to @Mech33 's comment above. On a personal note, I've been on/off these forums for awhile under my personal log in and have a '20 GT4 and can be found at COTA or H2R. Regards,Chris
I have a black WP car. I wanted to go Satin Xpel on the paint and Gloss on the CF. I was advised by the PPF shop that the black plastic aero trim behind the front and rear wheels would need removing.

Is this correct?

Thanks

Last edited by BrntRubber; 05-27-2023 at 12:24 PM.

Quick Reply: 3RS and PPF