Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3RS and PPF

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2023, 10:50 AM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 687 Likes on 324 Posts

I usually only PPF the front end on Porsches but the cutouts behind the front fenders leave the sides rather vulnerable. Leaning towards full body PPF over top of the factory decals.
The following users liked this post:
XPEL (06-07-2023)
Old 05-29-2023, 06:06 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 346 Likes on 193 Posts

My experience with the modern ceramic coated PPF is that decals won't stick very well to it. So keep that in mind if you want to pull decals and then install new ones. The decals will go on, but the slightest touch and pull them off, like when you go to wash your car or as in my case dry it off. If you want a decal look, it may be safer to have them under the PPF or find a PPF that doesn't have ceramic coating in it.

Just my $0.02 hope it helps someone.
Old 06-07-2023, 06:22 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntRubber
I have a black WP car. I wanted to go Satin Xpel on the paint and Gloss on the CF. I was advised by the PPF shop that the black plastic aero trim behind the front and rear wheels would need removing.

Is this correct?

Thanks
XPEL's templates do not require the aero trim to be removed. Front or rear. I've pics of a completed install in Austin however it'll be difficult to see as the film is clear lol. Email me at cwhite@xpel.com if you'd like me to send you the pics.

-Chris

Old 01-16-2024, 09:12 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Asco
I ordered my set in red from my Porsche dealer. Attached a pic of the backside, maybe it helps some of you to know that the original ones are made using Oracal vinyl. If you google Oracal 970 it will give you all the sample colors and there are a few reds to choose from. Should be easier now to find the correct color. Maybe they use the same vinyl for the other colors as well.

this might be the ones as darker red matte metallic Series 970RA … 368M

SuperDarius (01-18-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 09:21 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Asco
I ordered my set in red from my Porsche dealer. Attached a pic of the backside, maybe it helps some of you to know that the original ones are made using Oracal vinyl. If you google Oracal 970 it will give you all the sample colors and there are a few reds to choose from. Should be easier now to find the correct color. Maybe they use the same vinyl for the other colors as well.

Originally Posted by ranger22
My experience with the modern ceramic coated PPF is that decals won't stick very well to it. So keep that in mind if you want to pull decals and then install new ones. The decals will go on, but the slightest touch and pull them off, like when you go to wash your car or as in my case dry it off. If you want a decal look, it may be safer to have them under the PPF or find a PPF that doesn't have ceramic coating in it.

Just my $0.02 hope it helps someone.
would 2x ceramic coat over the decal on top maybe keep them in place … obviously touchless washing will help avoid
Old 01-16-2024, 10:41 PM
Anthony dokic
Former Vendor

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Himmelman
would 2x ceramic coat over the decal on top maybe keep them in place … obviously touchless washing will help avoid

Look who it is! The legend himself.
Brian Himmelman (01-17-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 04:19 PM
SuperDarius
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

this might be the ones as darker red matte metallic Series 970RA … 368M

someone can confirm if is the right red the 368M?seems dark,and I don’t know if the decals are metallic or pastel…not having yet the car.
before I think the right one is 031 red….but maybe i’m wrong.

Last edited by SuperDarius; 01-18-2024 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-18-2024, 04:27 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SuperDarius
someone can confirm is the right red the 368M? I don’t know if the decals are metallic or pastel…not having yet the car.

Would need to order a sample to compare … up close the Pyro red has slight metallic … I have Tribute red front and rear from AHA Graphics on here which I won’t be able to tell how close til they are removed from plastic cover and compared but will report back
SuperDarius (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 04:37 PM
SuperDarius
Racer

Would need to order a sample to compare … up close the Pyro red has slight metallic … I have Tribute red front and rear from AHA Graphics on here which I won’t be able to tell how close til they are removed from plastic cover and compared but will report back
i have AHA RS decals for the wing plates too…but I have not the car to compare them

not big problems…but just to have the right ones when the car will be here.
Old 01-20-2024, 12:59 PM
SuperDarius
Racer

Brian,I ordered a sample of 368M ,this morning I was at my ppf guy and looking at the palette of Oracal i think is probabily more right the 970 M368 than the 631 M031 i have at home…

Will be here end next week,in the meantime if you can post some pics that report the colour of the Pyro decals in the more realistic way,would be great.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2024, 01:13 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Brian,I ordered a sample of 368M ,this morning I was at my ppf guy and looking at the palette of Oracal i think is probabily more right the 970 M368 than the 631 M031 i have at home…

Will be here end next week,in the meantime if you can post some pics that report the colour of the Pyro decals in the more realistic way,would be great.

Thanks
as at my PPF shop yesterday and the AHA red is much less dark than OEM see pic … I too will get a sample but feel like that 368M could be it

also have these Weissach RS from Suncoast as not available at build …. Need to decide soon which look to go with, leave factory or Tribute (Canada colors) or WS decal POLLING all opinions valued? thanks

Last edited by Brian Himmelman; 01-20-2024 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-20-2024, 01:41 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Read looks great and I think with your design white painted or wrapped endplates with red RS would be cool.
Old 01-20-2024, 01:56 PM
SuperDarius
Racer

as at my PPF shop yesterday and the AHA red is much less dark than OEM see pic … I too will get a sample but feel like that 368M could be it

also have these Weissach RS from Suncoast as not available at build …. Need to decide soon which look to go with, leave factory or Tribute (Canada colors) or WS decal POLLING all opinions valued? thanks
great,your car has same specs as mine!

i will paint the side plates of the wing white and then put RS decals…good also the Weissach decals,but with white on the back will looks better from my view.

have you noticed difference after ppf on the sides decals?now are no more matte…how it looks?

Again one month I hope…can’t wait.
Old 01-20-2024, 02:23 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Thanks
great,your car has same specs as mine!

i will paint the side plates of the wing white and then put RS decals…good also the Weissach decals,but with white on the back will looks better from my view.

have you noticed difference after ppf on the sides decals?now are no more matte…how it looks?

Again one month I hope…can’t wait.
yes matte side decals are no gloss but doesn’t look bad or change the color … I much prefer above PPF and matte look so have ordered replacement decals from dealer and will apply mirror on top of PPF and replace as they get beat up … the original will be protected safe under the PPF

will need to put a matte piece clear PPF like factory over the area in front of rear wheels as it will get peppered
Old 01-21-2024, 05:47 AM
SuperDarius
Racer

yes matte side decals are no gloss but doesn’t look bad or change the color … I much prefer above PPF and matte look so have ordered replacement decals from dealer and will apply mirror on top of PPF and replace as they get beat up … the original will be protected safe under the PPF

will need to put a matte piece clear PPF like factory over the area in front of rear wheels as it will get peppered
ok,understand…good idea,do you know if they leave the stock protection behind the front and rear wheels and go over with the ppf or they took them off?

my fear doing ppf is the risk that they can cut the paint with that cutter ,the ppf guy tell he doesn’t use it and he doesn’t take off parts of the car…,but,but…I tell him to make the car at home,in way I can make some random inspection to look what are they doing…

Usually on my former 911,i make only ceramic coat,but this time there are too much parts exposed to little stones,ecc…so I think there is no other way to protect them.

Quick Reply: 3RS and PPF