Sponsored by:

3RS and PPF

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2023, 08:43 PM
Tik
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 3RS and PPF

For those of you who have taken delivery and wrapped your cars in PPF, did your installer remove trim/aero pieces around the perimeter of the car (e.g., the vertical slats behind the wheels and the front lip) in order to make the install easier/cleaner? If these pieces were removed, any insights on how easily they come off? And how did you deal with your decals?

My installer swung by today to look at the car. Here are a couple observations:
  • There is factory PPF directly behind each of the four wheels and on the lower section of the rear quarter (in front of the rear wheels). These pieces leave something to be desired in terms of cleanliness of install and coverage - the ones behind the wheels still leave quite a bit of vulnerable paint exposed.
  • The PPF on the rear quarter in front of the rear wheels has the decal placed on top of it. If you want to remove this piece to wrap the full quarter, the decal is coming off too. If you wrap over it, you're going to end up with visible 'transitions' at the factory wrap and then again at the decal.
Curious what others have done here.
The following 4 users liked this post by Tik:
992GT3RS (04-21-2023), Finlander (04-26-2023), Gt_4life (04-20-2023), SuperDarius (01-18-2024)
Old 04-20-2023, 09:10 PM
Ukkid74
Burning Brakes

Received 603 Likes on 280 Posts

Great feed back & info. Plz keep us in the loop with pics and suggestions. Mine arrives July.
Matt
Old 04-26-2023, 07:29 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

My PPF installer did not remove trim/aero pieces at my request. I was warned by the dealer if something went wrong in putting them back on it would not be covered by warranty. And apparently they have seen that happen a lot.
My installer removed all the factory stonechip foil before putting the full ppf on. My decals are now in the bin unfortunately, because Porsche puts them on top op the stonechip foil.
So my recommendation for the people still waiting for their car that are going to do a full PPF, ask Porsche to not install the gt3rs striping and just deliver those stickers with the car !

I now have a "naked" car with full ppf, and I'm still deciding what to do. I'd love to put new original red gt3rs striping back on. But I'm also doing low key livery with my company name and or logo's. And I want that to be the same material and color for a uniform look. Unfortunately Porsche won't or can't say what brand, type and color of stickers they use. So unfortunately I might have to go without the original striping, unless someone here has the info on the red factory gt3rs striping stickers ?

Originally Posted by Tik
For those of you who have taken delivery and wrapped your cars in PPF, did your installer remove trim/aero pieces around the perimeter of the car (e.g., the vertical slats behind the wheels and the front lip) in order to make the install easier/cleaner? If these pieces were removed, any insights on how easily they come off? And how did you deal with your decals?

Curious what others have done here.

Last edited by bccars; 04-26-2023 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-26-2023, 11:09 AM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,015 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
My PPF installer did not remove trim/aero pieces at my request. I was warned by the dealer if something went wrong in putting them back on it would not be covered by warranty. And apparently they have seen that happen a lot.
My installer removed all the factory stonechip foil before putting the full ppf on. My decals are now in the bin unfortunately, because Porsche puts them on top op the stonechip foil.
So my recommendation for the people still waiting for their car that are going to do a full PPF, ask Porsche to not install the gt3rs striping and just deliver those stickers with the car !

I now have a "naked" car with full ppf, and I'm still deciding what to do. I'd love to put new original red gt3rs striping back on. But I'm also doing low key livery with my company name and or logo's. And I want that to be the same material and color for a uniform look. Unfortunately Porsche won't or can't say what brand, type and color of stickers they use. So unfortunately I might have to go without the original striping, unless someone here has the info on the red factory gt3rs striping stickers ?
LOL, you can’t ask Porsche to not install anything, it violates multiple laws. One of which is actually import customs, if it’s not on the build sheet they have to remove it or refund you. So, basically can’t ask them to leave them in the car, they need to be attached to the car or it’s an import violation.

I ordered up an extra set, the sides run about $700, the extended run $1500.

Remove when PPF and apply new set.
The following users liked this post:
User 81423 (04-26-2023)
Old 04-26-2023, 11:43 AM
Tik
Rennlist Member

This wrap shop in Germany managed to recreate the graphics in red. Not sure if it's the exact same red but it looks really good:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/_uAhoOmSh3Y

Suncoast has the decals listed, though they are coming from Germany and will take a few weeks:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...rsstripes.html

My installer has removed the stripes to apply film but I'm in a bit of an easier situation as my decals are matte black. Factory decals are a few weeks out but if we can get the vector files he can print them and reapply over the film.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tik:
bccars (04-27-2023), Brian Himmelman (01-15-2024)
Old 04-26-2023, 12:03 PM
Rennology
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tik
This wrap shop in Germany managed to recreate the graphics in red. Not sure if it's the exact same red but it looks really good:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/_uAhoOmSh3Y

Suncoast has the decals listed, though they are coming from Germany and will take a few weeks:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...rsstripes.html

My installer has removed the stripes to apply film but I'm in a bit of an easier situation as my decals are matte black. Factory decals are a few weeks out but if we can get the vector files he can print them and reapply over the film.
I will be facing the same issue soon. I just reached out to the wrap shop in Germany to see if they are willing to sell the vector file.
Brian Himmelman (01-15-2024)
Old 04-26-2023, 06:35 PM
Asco
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for the info as I will be facing the same issue in 2 weeks with my red decals. Will check with my dealer how long will it take to deliver the side decals and will order a set too if they can supply quickly, otherwise will need to search for a different solution…

Regarding the red decals, if anyone gets to know who manufactures them and what is the color code, I would highly appreciate that info as I want to wrap the wing end plates in the same color.
bccars (04-27-2023)
Old 04-26-2023, 06:42 PM
J9277655
Rennlist Member

Received 326 Likes on 105 Posts

Does it make sense to just PPF over the existing factory decals and OEM PPF locations? I assume this will simply provide a bit more coverage in these areas?
Old 04-26-2023, 06:57 PM
Tik
Rennlist Member

Doing so creates visible transitions (air gaps) at the edges of the factory PPF and at the decal. It also changes the decals appearance to glossy (or whatever the nature of your PPF is). All depends on what you're ok with.
bccars (04-27-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 01:40 AM
Leo_g
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Is it ok to do ppf without removing any of those stickers?
Old 04-27-2023, 01:48 AM
User 81423
Burning Brakes

Received 571 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Leo_g
Is it ok to do ppf without removing any of those stickers?
yes but not recommended

If the installer doesn’t have experience it will look no bueno
The following 2 users liked this post by User 81423:
bccars (04-27-2023), richk (05-17-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 03:37 AM
Asco
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 25 Posts

Just ordered a red set here in Europe, Germany has stock, delivery time 3 days, in case anyone needs..
Old 04-27-2023, 06:19 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Not LOL. First of all, I'm in Europe, so maybe our situation is different. Second, it is my dealer that proposed that to me. They then just put the stickers with the car, together with all the other bits that have to be installed at the dealer. The cars are not 100% assembled when they arrive at the dealer.

Originally Posted by cosmos
LOL, you can’t ask Porsche to not install anything, it violates multiple laws. One of which is actually import customs, if it’s not on the build sheet they have to remove it or refund you. So, basically can’t ask them to leave them in the car, they need to be attached to the car or it’s an import violation.

I ordered up an extra set, the sides run about $700, the extended run $1500.

Remove when PPF and apply new set.

Last edited by bccars; 04-27-2023 at 06:27 AM.
User 81423 (04-30-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 11:33 AM
Rennology
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I had the parts department look into getting me a matte black set and they said it wasn't available in the US yet. I decided to order them from Suncoast Parts however, they emailed me this morning saying it won't ship until June 8th. I have a feeling theirs is printed by a local vendor since it's a separate listing from all the other colors.

Anyway, this timeline isn't ideal for me so the search continues..
Old 04-27-2023, 11:38 AM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,015 Likes on 564 Posts

As of today, 180 days for replacement factory stickers.

Quick Reply: 3RS and PPF