Sponsored by:

Process to jack up both sides of the car

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2023, 11:41 AM
Doublej
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Process to jack up both sides of the car

So my situation is, I have a 4-post lift already in my garage with a center sliding hydraulic jack. I routinely use it to jack up either the front or rear if I need to remove wheels or swap wheels side to side (depending on wear from track days). The hydraulic pump seized on my jack so I'm left going back to basics for a while and using my floor jack. Easy enough if I'm jacking up just one side but if I need to swap side to side, I need both sides up.

Given there are 4 jack points, what is the process to jack up one side, rest on jack stands, then jack up the other side onto jack stands. Are there points other than the jack points where stands can be placed? It always seems precarious to jack up one side then the other. Looking for advice or others' experiences here.

JJ
Old 06-01-2023, 12:04 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,145 Likes on 984 Posts

A lot of guys use these: https://jackpointjackstands.com/all-products/

They are specifically made for Porsches and other low profile cars that can't be lifted via their suspension or framing.

I also have a four post lift but have a sliding jack on it also. I just bought a second one so I can lift the entire car up while on the 4-post lift. (to do brake fluid flushes, rotate tires on my wife's honda etc)

Last edited by subshooter; 06-01-2023 at 12:07 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by subshooter:
Diablo Dude (06-04-2023), GrantG (06-02-2023), hamiltonia (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 12:33 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

Porsche's chassis is so stiff that if you are lifting from the rear jacking point,eventually the front will come up as well on that same side you are jacking. Same goes if you are jacking from the front jacking point,the rear will come up eventually as well.
So let's say you need your rear on jackstands : jack from the front jacking point until the rear comes up as well,put a jackstand in the rear. Repeat on the other side. Done!

Last edited by neanicu; 06-01-2023 at 12:35 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by neanicu:
Alan C. (06-02-2023), shrimp money (06-01-2023), Winnetka (01-26-2024)
Old 06-01-2023, 01:08 PM
codebrown
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Porsche's chassis is so stiff that if you are lifting from the rear jacking point,eventually the front will come up as well on that same side you are jacking. Same goes if you are jacking from the front jacking point,the rear will come up eventually as well.
So let's say you need your rear on jackstands : jack from the front jacking point until the rear comes up as well,put a jackstand in the rear. Repeat on the other side. Done!
+1
Except I'd jack from rear and have front be lifted. I've done it this way whenever I washed the car and wanted to take off wheels.
Old 06-02-2023, 04:49 PM
Doublej
Racer

Originally Posted by subshooter
A lot of guys use these: https://jackpointjackstands.com/all-products/

They are specifically made for Porsches and other low profile cars that can't be lifted via their suspension or framing.

I also have a four post lift but have a sliding jack on it also. I just bought a second one so I can lift the entire car up while on the 4-post lift. (to do brake fluid flushes, rotate tires on my wife's honda etc)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEwnSoLGx34
I do find those sliding jacks to be a pain. I have to back up onto wood to get high enough to even be able to pump the jack. Not sure I'll fix the pump or not. Maybe just get a quick jack insetead.

JJ
The following 2 users liked this post by Doublej:
arinl (01-27-2024), Winnetka (01-26-2024)
Old 06-02-2023, 04:50 PM
Doublej
Racer

Thanks, I'll try this.
Old 06-02-2023, 05:54 PM
Jbravo23
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 715 Posts

The following users liked this post:
Diablo Dude (06-04-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 06:03 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

My plan for when I finally get my similar but different Targa GTS is to use my ratcheting jack stands and additionally get a set of four Rennstand 18M-P08 Jack Pads.

This setup is VERY secure, "easy" to use and VERY versatile for many different vehicle types.

Last edited by wingless; 06-02-2023 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-27-2024, 02:41 PM
Winnetka
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbravo23
Is this the consensus for the 992 (non-GT3 GT2RS cars)? If you need a rear jack point, use a suspension junction point to lift up the car. I use two trolly jacks and 4 Esco jack stands for my other cars; that's my plan for my 2024 992-T.
Old 01-27-2024, 02:54 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,561 Likes on 863 Posts

This makes for a very scary experience in reality. I tried lifting my GT3RS and to be able to lift both sides high enough to fit a jack stand, I ended up also lifting the opposite side whereby only keeping 1 tire making contact with the ground. There was quite a bit of diagonal “movement” at one point where the car was tilting on a diagonal axis. I would not recommend doing this.

To be specific, I started lifting from the driver’s side rear. I lifted it high enough that I could fit a jack stand to the driver’s side front jack point. This caused passenger rear to also lift and at the highest point my car started tilting back and forth between driver’s side front and passenger side rear. There is no way I would do this.

OP - I have a 4 post lift with a rolling jack as well. And in my case I was looking for a more easier way to raise the car as its a bit of work to lower the 4 post lift, open ramps, get ramp extensions, raise the lift, position rolling lift, etc. Its many steps. But this mentioned method for me wasn’t worth the risk.
Winnetka (01-27-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 03:02 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,741 Likes on 2,702 Posts

For those who are not getting a lift nor Quickjacks, I love these:

https://jackpointjackstands.com/
Winnetka (01-27-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 04:37 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

I hate jacking up my car on all points. It just scares me. I would recommend quickjacks: Portable Car Lift for your Garage or Shop - QuickJack
I just store the ramps under the middle of the car and the unit on the side of the garage. This is much easier and safer.
Winnetka (01-27-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 05:00 PM
Jbravo23
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 715 Posts

The AC jacks can be used from the rear of the car to lift the entire back. They are low and long enough (also pricey) to do so. The problem is the newer cars have diffusers that would need to be removed first to access a center lift point.

For now I just use two jacks. Hope to build a two car detached garage with all the goodies at some point in the future. Nice recessed lift in the floor would make life easier.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...BoCPmwQAvD_BwE
Winnetka (01-27-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 07:14 PM
Winnetka
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 27 Posts

It can be awkward watching a unibody car like a 911 getting jacked from a corner. For me, the only safe, practical way I see myself working on my 2024-911T is via the Quickjack, Jackpoint or if you’re able to afford the MaxJack it has solid reviews. Then RennStands seems to have some drawbacks with tilting. The bottom of the car has been closed off so well, nothing is clearly visible as a safe 5th jackpoint, front or rear. I did lift the side of my car yesterday using trolly floor jacks.

Last edited by Winnetka; 01-28-2024 at 03:12 PM. Reason: .
rodneyr (01-28-2024)

Quick Reply: Process to jack up both sides of the car