TTS —> GT3

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2023, 09:20 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,958 Likes on 556 Posts

I have owned a bunch of GT3's and never wanted to daily them. Putting a 9k rpm car on a leash of traffic crawl or 50mph type speeds is not ideal, I feel much less guilty in one of my M cars or cayenne/ audi stuff.

the best 911 daily I had was my 18 manual GTS. way more torque than GT3, but more comfort too. more noise than my TT. still ripped on fun roads and occasional track days.

GT3 really needs/ wants / should be fed 70+ mph speeds and lots of variety of corners.
The following 5 users liked this post by C.J. Ichiban:
AlexCeres (07-03-2023), chance6 (07-04-2023), Manifold (07-03-2023), michaeldorian (07-04-2023), User 81423 (07-05-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 10:16 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,886 Likes on 2,228 Posts

Originally Posted by turboBEVO
I went from 992 TTS to GT3. My TTS was my daily sorta…had an Audi RS5 as my other daily. As others have mentioned, the TTS is so versatile: so fast and so comfortable. For a street car, it’s just marvelous. It was my 4th TTS.

But then during COVID I got bit w/ the track bug. I tracked the TTS but eventually gave into the allure of the GT3 and have had it for about 1.5 years. I basically only use it to/fro/on track. On the street, it’s just a little to rough for my taste (on Chicagoland’s crummy streets). It’s just a little loud and uncomfy w/ the LWB seats. And also, to me it doesn’t come ‘alive’ until > 5 k RPM. All subjective of-course.

But on the track, the experience elevates beyond fun to emotional! 8k to 9k RPM with scalpel like handling! Of all the stupid cars I’ve wasted $$$ on, my GT3 is far and away my favorite!

But if I didn’t do track days, I’d go back to a TTS.

Good luck!
Problem with tracking a GT car is that you discover how happy the car is in its proper environment, driven nearer to its limits, and that can make the car feel perpetually underdriven on the road. Because the GT cars (other than GT2) don't have a ton of torque, you need to wind them up to high revs to get strong acceleration, and you may not have space to do that between corners on the road, or will be going too fast by the time you get to high revs. You can have some fun carving corners in a GT car on the road, but many good corners on the road are blind, so visibility limits cornering speed.

By contrast, with a TTS, you can easily do satisfying bursts of acceleration between corners which are close together, and the car corners well too.

Last edited by Manifold; 07-03-2023 at 10:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
phefner (07-09-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 10:28 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I like your M2 idea. I had an M2, now have a 991 Touring. I’m going back and getting an M2 for the wife because I miss it so much. The M2 is a fantastic daily, and with a GT3 it’s the perfect combo.
Old 07-03-2023, 10:29 AM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 346 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Problem with tracking a GT car is that you discover how happy the car is in its proper environment, driven nearer to its limits, and that can make the car feel perpetually underdriven on the road. Because the GT cars (other than GT2) don't have a ton of torque, you need to wind them up to high revs to get strong acceleration, and you may not have space to do that between corners on the road, or will be going too fast by the time you get to high revs. You can have some fun carving corners in a GT car on the road, but many good corners on the road are blind, so visibility limits cornering speed.

By contrast, with a TTS, you can easily do satisfying bursts of acceleration between corners which are close together, and the car corners well too.
I would agree with this 100%. Someday I will get a GT3 and track it. (Can't really afford the consumables right now)

Last edited by ENCT; 07-03-2023 at 10:31 AM.
Manifold (07-03-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 01:53 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,173 Likes on 577 Posts

Just to add some data points to OP's query - I have a 97 993tt that has been lightly modded with new Borg Warner K24's, cat bypasses, gutted mufflers, GT3 street type alignment on M030 springs and Bilsteins. Its not slow at all - roughly 400whp. The bypasses greatly reduce the lag even without VTG and old air cooled engine noise is unmatched. It won't rip to 9k but you won't need to. It's one of those "just feels right" cars. Sadly there's not many left and you're not going to recreate that feel with any 991/992. Its a Merlin engine Spitfire/P51 in the age of F35's.

Your quest is all over the map in a sense. You're not going to find one vehicle that ticks all the boxes. The new GT cars are not analog like the old cars. They're way more advanced and that's why their envelope of performance is so ridiculous nowadays. Car and Driver's Lightning lap has the new 992 TTS going 25 seconds faster per lap than the 997 turbo on street tires at VIR. 25 seconds a lap difference is insane. Point being that's all car and very little to do with the driver. With that some degree of isolation occurs. Confidence comes from the car masking/isolating the danger from your senses.

If you want the ultimate road feel and analog feedback, get a sportbike. If you want timeless aesthetics and a good ROI - 993.
The following 2 users liked this post by eclou:
AlexCeres (07-03-2023), Manifold (07-03-2023)
Old 07-04-2023, 04:01 AM
Justaroofer
Banned

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
Just to add some data points to OP's query - I have a 97 993tt that has been lightly modded with new Borg Warner K24's, cat bypasses, gutted mufflers, GT3 street type alignment on M030 springs and Bilsteins. Its not slow at all - roughly 400whp. The bypasses greatly reduce the lag even without VTG and old air cooled engine noise is unmatched. It won't rip to 9k but you won't need to. It's one of those "just feels right" cars. Sadly there's not many left and you're not going to recreate that feel with any 991/992. Its a Merlin engine Spitfire/P51 in the age of F35's. Your quest is all over the map in a sense. You're not going to find one vehicle that ticks all the boxes. The new GT cars are not analog like the old cars. They're way more advanced and that's why their envelope of performance is so ridiculous nowadays. Car and Driver's Lightning lap has the new 992 TTS going 25 seconds faster per lap than the 997 turbo on street tires at VIR. 25 seconds a lap difference is insane. Point being that's all car and very little to do with the driver. With that some degree of isolation occurs. Confidence comes from the car masking/isolating the danger from your senses. If you want the ultimate road feel and analog feedback, get a sportbike. If you want timeless aesthetics and a good ROI - 993.
Funny you mention the isolation of senses. I have often described to most that the 992 TTS is so good is gives a dangerous false sense of confidence to even the most unskilled driver.

On the flip side the GT4RS robs the sense of hearing and van be borderline distracting to the enjoyment.

Last edited by Justaroofer; 07-04-2023 at 04:23 AM.
Manifold (07-04-2023)
Old 07-04-2023, 09:06 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by mattyf
I like your M2 idea. I had an M2, now have a 991 Touring. I’m going back and getting an M2 for the wife because I miss it so much. The M2 is a fantastic daily, and with a GT3 it’s the perfect combo.
It’s a pretty solid combo. I have an M2CS manual that is very fun. My three quirky wishes to make it a better daily would be for a larger fuel tank, a taller 6th gear, and a fuel door area water drain (it’s like a bath tub). It’s honestly pretty good as is though.

End of the day my 2018 X3 M40 gets most of the miles. One of my favorite vehicles. Super well rounded.
Old 07-04-2023, 06:37 PM
michaeldorian
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassJ
It’s a pretty solid combo. I have an M2CS manual that is very fun. My three quirky wishes to make it a better daily would be for a larger fuel tank, a taller 6th gear, and a fuel door area water drain (it’s like a bath tub). It’s honestly pretty good as is though.

End of the day my 2018 X3 M40 gets most of the miles. One of my favorite vehicles. Super well rounded.
My M2 CS is more fun more of the time as a road car compared to my GT3. If I only had to keep one car for every thing my CS stays. I love it. Also manual with CCB’s. I have similar wishes. Larger fuel tank, longer gears and I wish it sat just 10-15mm lower. It’s just too tall and this would make it look so much better. I just don’t want to mess with the stock suspension. I think the lack of torque feeling in a manual GT3 makes it a bit not the most fun on the road. It just feels like a lot of work outside or spirited driving.

Oddly enough, you can drive the m2 faster in more places simply because of the more forgiving suspension.

TTS in manual or the GTS as someone else mentioned would be a hoot.

If the SC was available to more folks, I would be all over that.

Last edited by michaeldorian; 07-04-2023 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-04-2023, 08:54 PM
GT3NYC
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

So I’ve just come from a 992 gt3 Pdk to a turbo s and it’s a really interesting one.

First impressions of the turbo s compared to the gt3 is that it feels YYYYYUUUGGGGE, like an SUV big in relation to the gt3, bizarre how different they feel on the road considering it’s practically the same chassis. The bigness I think comes from the weight but also the steering feel which on first impressions is just heavier and meaty in the hands. The tech in my turbo s is also quite a bit ahead which adds to the SUV comparison (ticked every box including night assist and inno drive etc).

The driving experience is also different based on road and road conditions, I wasn’t impressed or happy with how slow the gt3 felt on the highway which is why I bought a Mclaren 675lt for that type of driving not long after I got the gt3. On back roads I never felt like the gt3 was that inspiring either because the limit was so goddamn high. The only time I felt like the driving dynamics of the gt3 truly came together was on track. On track this thing is other worldly. I haven’t done A track day in the TTS but I know for a fact it’s going to be almost impossible to beat the feeling the gt3 had. Taking slow corners at the max and then feeling that rear wheel steer kick in in the gt3…. There’s nothing in the planet like it. Same for high speed corners that use downforce.

Although I’m praising the gt3 for its track advantages something tells me i will probably be quicker in the TTS but I can already tell it won’t be nearly half as fun.

I got the TTS for practicality I have little ones I throw in the back and to me it’s a better all round car. Speed, rear seats, build quality feels higher too (more sound deadening, no road noise, compliant suspension).

Depending on what you’re doing with the car I’d say you can’t really go wrong with a TTS. Gt3 is a machine built with a specific purpose and you better know how to use it, if you’re going to extract the cars and yours potential on track.

If you’re an average track driver and you want a car that can do it all you literally can’t beat a TTS. If you’re a canyon carver with competition /
amateur driving skills and have an ability to push a car to your very limits and you’re prepping for Carrera Cup then gt3.

my perfect scenario is 3RS for track use only and a turbo s for daily / the odd track day.

Old 07-04-2023, 09:02 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,886 Likes on 2,228 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3NYC
So I’ve just come from a 992 gt3 Pdk to a turbo s and it’s a really interesting one.

First impressions of the turbo s compared to the gt3 is that it feels YYYYYUUUGGGGE, like an SUV big in relation to the gt3, bizarre how different they feel on the road considering it’s practically the same chassis. The bigness I think comes from the weight but also the steering feel which on first impressions is just heavier and meaty in the hands. The tech in my turbo s is also quite a bit ahead which adds to the SUV comparison (ticked every box including night assist and inno drive etc).

The driving experience is also different based on road and road conditions, I wasn’t impressed or happy with how slow the gt3 felt on the highway which is why I bought a Mclaren 675lt for that type of driving not long after I got the gt3. On back roads I never felt like the gt3 was that inspiring either because the limit was so goddamn high. The only time I felt like the driving dynamics of the gt3 truly came together was on track. On track this thing is other worldly. I haven’t done A track day in the TTS but I know for a fact it’s going to be almost impossible to beat the feeling the gt3 had. Taking slow corners at the max and then feeling that rear wheel steer kick in in the gt3…. There’s nothing in the planet like it. Same for high speed corners that use downforce.

Although I’m praising the gt3 for its track advantages something tells me i will probably be quicker in the TTS but I can already tell it won’t be nearly half as fun.

I got the TTS for practicality I have little ones I throw in the back and to me it’s a better all round car. Speed, rear seats, build quality feels higher too (more sound deadening, no road noise, compliant suspension).

Depending on what you’re doing with the car I’d say you can’t really go wrong with a TTS. Gt3 is a machine built with a specific purpose and you better know how to use it, if you’re going to extract the cars and yours potential on track.

If you’re an average track driver and you want a car that can do it all you literally can’t beat a TTS. If you’re a canyon carver with competition /
amateur driving skills and have an ability to push a car to your very limits and you’re prepping for Carrera Cup then gt3.

my perfect scenario is 3RS for track use only and a turbo s for daily / the odd track day.
That's where I've wound up, at this point.
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
CarManDSL (07-05-2023), GT3NYC (07-04-2023)

Quick Reply: TTS —> GT3