Sponsored by:

992 GT3 Impressions (Manifold)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 01:38 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,487 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS
Just curious, what other cars are in the same class with similar performance capabilities? GT3 is a $200k car, not anything is close to it's performance around that price off the top of my head
I would say pick any track of your choice and look at each car within a 3 car radius both up and down of the 992 GT3 in lap times and that is the competition. Of those 3 +/- which have better low speed suspension quality? Price can be looked at in so many ways I’m not really even factoring it in. Some of the cars that sell for a much higher MSRP of the GT3 could be had on the used market for lower price than a used GT3 and market value is all over the place by region and etc.
The following users liked this post:
Manifold (01-25-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 02:17 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 2,700 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Originally Posted by dixonk
I would say pick any track of your choice and look at each car within a 3 car radius both up and down of the 992 GT3 in lap times and that is the competition. Of those 3 +/- which have better low speed suspension quality? Price can be looked at in so many ways I’m not really even factoring it in. Some of the cars that sell for a much higher MSRP of the GT3 could be had on the used market for lower price than a used GT3 and market value is all over the place by region and etc.
Not sure I understand what you're trying to say. Look at each car within a 3 car radius?

Comparing MSRP to a different cars current, used pricing is a tough ask
Old 01-25-2024, 04:14 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,860 Likes on 2,218 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but worth pointing out that I have not seen a single other person claim the 991.2 3RS has a better suspension than a 992 GT3. I'm not speaking to how visceral they are or feel or any other attributes. But how can you not feel the far superior double wishbone as better?

I've had the Touring and 991 2RS back to back on the track 3 times and the difference is very noticeable.

The next 2RS with a double wishbone is going to be insane
You need to define what you mean by 'better suspension'.

Driven hard on the road, 992 GT3 turns in and loads up better than the 991.1 GT3. On the track, the difference is less.

I'm not seeing any technical reason why double wishbones are going to ultimately deliver substantially more max grip (else all performance cars would use them).

Old 01-25-2024, 04:21 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,733 Likes on 2,699 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I'm not seeing any technical reason why double wishbones are going to ultimately deliver substantially more max grip (else all performance cars would use them).
All serious performance cars use them where not impeded by cost or packaging constraints.
Old 01-25-2024, 04:24 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
All serious performance cars use them where not impeded by cost or packaging constraints.
Then why has Porsche not used them in other 911 variants?
Old 01-25-2024, 04:26 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Because of the cost/revenue figures (costs less to use struts and customers of non-GT cars don’t demand them, yet…).

I guess it’s possible that they’ll see wider use in 992.2. They were always going to install race parts in GT products first.

Last edited by GrantG; 01-25-2024 at 04:28 PM.
PTS (01-25-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 04:28 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
Because of the cost/revenue figures (costs less to use struts and customers of non-GT cars don’t demand them, yet…).

I guess it’s possible that they’ll see wider use in 992.2
Mazda puts double wishbones in the Miata. Porsche can't afford to do that in a non-GT 911? Not even in Turbo/S?
Old 01-25-2024, 04:32 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,551 Likes on 876 Posts

At the end of the day Porsche is still a mass produce car company and thus will do as little as they need to, which maximizes profits. Decisions are based on $$, not what's best for performance.

In contrast, you take something that is specialized and low volume like Gordon Murray's T.33 & T.50 and you better believe they will do what is best for performance, but that is also baked in to the cost.
AlexCeres (02-28-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mazda puts double wishbones in the Miata. Porsche can't afford to do that in a non-GT 911? Not even in Turbo/S?
They’ve only just developed the front wishbones that can be installed without impacting frunk space. TTS was made prior to GT3 and doesn’t prioritize ultimate cornering performance in the same way.

Maybe next one will get it.

Miata is the most tracked/raced car in the world - great that it uses proper suspension at that price. They prioritize handling and light weight beyond all.

Last edited by GrantG; 01-25-2024 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-25-2024, 04:45 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 2,700 Likes on 1,223 Posts

You don't see any technical reason why a double wishbone front end is superior for grip over a mcpherson strut system? Come on.
Old 01-25-2024, 06:15 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTS
You don't see any technical reason why a double wishbone front end is superior for grip over a mcpherson strut system? Come on.
Grip is ultimately down to the tires and keeping the contact patch connected to the pavement. I understand that double wishbones help maintain the camber as the suspension moves, but with stiff enough springs and active damping, the car doesn't roll much anyway, and my understanding is that struts and multi-link can be designed to produce similar grip to double wishbones. I'm not an expert on any of this, just going by what I've read.
Old 01-25-2024, 06:39 PM
Porsche444
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 267 Posts

Grip is ultimately down to the tires and keeping the contact patch connected to the pavement. I understand that double wishbones help maintain the camber as the suspension moves, but with stiff enough springs and active damping, the car doesn't roll much anyway, and my understanding is that struts and multi-link can be designed to produce similar grip to double wishbones. I'm not an expert on any of this, just going by what I've read.
LOL, that’s is sooooooo true, going what “I’ve” read. On my GT4 & .2 GT3, I dealt with uneven tire wear, I went with what I read and guess what, it was wrong!!!! In hindsight, for the GT4, anyone tracking and with pace should immediately switch to 3 ways, I wasted sooooo much time and $$$ doing this and that. I was told by a semi pro driver that at Buttonwillow, a stock 992 GT3 should get down to a 1:50/1:51, and I did a 1:53, I did like 7 sessions and at end of the day, the tire wear was so even across the tires, I was totally blown away. And btw, just like all the people writing about and bashing the CUP2, weak sidewalls etc, crappy tire, this CUP2 with tread rating of 220 was incredible. This is true live experience on the road, not read, not heard, but experience on the track. Can anyone explain how my tire wear was sooooo even with a totally stock 992 GT3? Only mod was -2.5 all around, I’ll tell you, it’s the suspension, plain and simple. I didn’t magically change my driving style, nothing diff besides the car.

There are too many arm chair quarterbacks/writers, others don’t drive fast enough, others maybe too fast, so the dynamics change way to much, so take all “read” items with a grain of salt and only way to confirm results are to try it yourself and make your own opinion. You and I can drive exact same car, but I’d bet 2 totally different opinions.

In my opinion, this is the best suspension I have ever driven on a track, hands down.
Mr Mojo Risin (01-27-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 06:54 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

If suspensions didn’t move at all, it wouldn’t be an issue and with stiff suspensions they move less. But any street legal Porsche has a suspension that moves quite a bit - way more than enough to notice the difference between struts and double wishbones.

If there is an optimum amount of camber when loaded in a corner, you basically need to have that amount at rest on a strut car (so you have very little tread on the ground in a straight line for braking). Since wishbones gain camber as they load, you can have less static camber for better braking and still have optimum camber in corners.

And then there is the way these things behave with curbing and uneven surfaces - wishbones handle that far better.

Last edited by GrantG; 01-25-2024 at 06:55 PM.
Manifold (01-25-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 07:14 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche444
LOL, that’s is sooooooo true, going what “I’ve” read. On my GT4 & .2 GT3, I dealt with uneven tire wear, I went with what I read and guess what, it was wrong!!!! In hindsight, for the GT4, anyone tracking and with pace should immediately switch to 3 ways, I wasted sooooo much time and $$$ doing this and that. I was told by a semi pro driver that at Buttonwillow, a stock 992 GT3 should get down to a 1:50/1:51, and I did a 1:53, I did like 7 sessions and at end of the day, the tire wear was so even across the tires, I was totally blown away. And btw, just like all the people writing about and bashing the CUP2, weak sidewalls etc, crappy tire, this CUP2 with tread rating of 220 was incredible. This is true live experience on the road, not read, not heard, but experience on the track. Can anyone explain how my tire wear was sooooo even with a totally stock 992 GT3? Only mod was -2.5 all around, I’ll tell you, it’s the suspension, plain and simple. I didn’t magically change my driving style, nothing diff besides the car.

There are too many arm chair quarterbacks/writers, others don’t drive fast enough, others maybe too fast, so the dynamics change way to much, so take all “read” items with a grain of salt and only way to confirm results are to try it yourself and make your own opinion. You and I can drive exact same car, but I’d bet 2 totally different opinions.

In my opinion, this is the best suspension I have ever driven on a track, hands down.
I've tried Cup 2 in the 991.1 GT3, 991.2 3RS, and 992 GT3 (mine and a friend's). I've gone through many sets and am not a fan. Sometimes they grip well, but pushed hard they overheat and fall off after a few laps. They're also not good in the wet or at cooler temps, and are hopeless on cool wet surfaces. I found that the Goodyear tires for these cars are generally better than Cup 2, and Nankang CR-S v2 even better.
Old 01-25-2024, 08:43 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,551 Likes on 876 Posts

The bigger issue with struts is the amount of toe change. Yes to a degree camber, but toe is what dictates stability and with struts the toe changes are big compared to wishbones.
Manifold (01-26-2024)

Quick Reply: 992 GT3 Impressions (Manifold)