992 S/T and GT3rs plush cash vs CGT

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2024, 10:29 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,807 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenchieDadRS
Delusional to think otherwise.
Totally different tools, kind of like a flat head screwdriver and a phillips screwdriver...yes both are screwdrivers but are different tools. They may share the same engine but the GT3RS is basically a street legal track car while the ST is more of a stealth cruiser besides one being manual and the other being PDK.
Old 01-13-2024, 10:31 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,807 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Originally Posted by RS Clubsport
100%. CGT eclipses every 911 deriviate xxx times over.
And that is why my period garage has a 997 4L and a CGT but given how much prices of CGTs have gotten up since COVID I just can't have over $2m sitting in my garage not working for me.
The following users liked this post:
dixonk (01-14-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 01:21 PM
BusDriver
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 63 Posts

Did not know there had been actual failures. Anyway, I’m still not too worried given that my CGT has never been in salt or even salty air. Biggest frustration is Porsche’s long delay in manufacturing the updated parts.

And a little perspective here you legends…

Most CGT owners are not using their cars like Thomas Bscher (200mph daily commute in his Mac F1), RS Clubsport (60k miles and endless track days), or mooty (constantly on the rev limiter). You legends are a different breed.

For most of us, it is a point A to A point car, being careful where it is parked, careful about speed bumps. And used when one is in the mood for the intensity and focus that comes with driving a million dollar 600 hp go-kart.

I love how responsive and pitch sensitive the chassis is, and can be steered almost entirely on throttle alone with minimal steering inputs. But the same sensitivity means that, if you are not concentrating, or make a mistake, it is super easy to spin the car.

So CGT is not a substitute for any 911, in the way that moonshine is not a substitute for a fine wine.

Anyway, enough said. I’m off to play in the snow with the Dakar and pretend to be Walter Rohrl 🙂

Last edited by BusDriver; 01-14-2024 at 01:23 PM.
WernerE (01-14-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 02:51 PM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 414 Posts

All 3 will do
GT3RS, S/T and Carrera GT

Or simply buy Mission X in 2-3 years. Save up
Old 01-14-2024, 08:32 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 195 Posts

Listen to the owners and ex-owners above.

Doubt any current CGT owner will take the other side of the trade. I know I won't.

It's everything as above. If you can, go for the CGT.
The following 2 users liked this post by CRex:
911Vintage (01-15-2024), SSTHO (01-18-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 11:13 PM
Justaroofer
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
Listen to the owners and ex-owners above.

Doubt any current CGT owner will take the other side of the trade. I know I won't.

It's everything as above. If you can, go for the CGT.
Considering PAG has put out a stop drive notice for all CGTs til Late Q3/Q4 when parts are available for suspension that are blowing up I'd stick the the ST/3RS.... or any other variant that won't blow.

Old 01-15-2024, 12:58 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,483 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by BusDriver
Did not know there had been actual failures. Anyway, I’m still not too worried given that my CGT has never been in salt or even salty air. Biggest frustration is Porsche’s long delay in manufacturing the updated parts.

And a little perspective here you legends…

Most CGT owners are not using their cars like Thomas Bscher (200mph daily commute in his Mac F1), RS Clubsport (60k miles and endless track days), or mooty (constantly on the rev limiter). You legends are a different breed.

For most of us, it is a point A to A point car, being careful where it is parked, careful about speed bumps. And used when one is in the mood for the intensity and focus that comes with driving a million dollar 600 hp go-kart.

I love how responsive and pitch sensitive the chassis is, and can be steered almost entirely on throttle alone with minimal steering inputs. But the same sensitivity means that, if you are not concentrating, or make a mistake, it is super easy to spin the car.

So CGT is not a substitute for any 911, in the way that moonshine is not a substitute for a fine wine.

Anyway, enough said. I’m off to play in the snow with the Dakar and pretend to be Walter Rohrl 🙂
legend I am not
but right on you are
the car is frisky and not easy to drive around
point a to point a is right

thus it's not a substitute for ST/RS. but an add
Old 01-15-2024, 01:01 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Don't agree on the A to A car. I did 9924 miles in mine in 12 months, all over Europe, left it on the street, in multi storey car parks, packed full of luggage for nearly 2 weeks. Not a better car on the planet for thrills. The GOAT.
we haver some strange ppl here in CA.
I don't mind the miles or even dents and scrapes on belly.
but it's not a car I drive anywhere.... ppl kinda follow you home.
Old 01-15-2024, 01:05 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Don't agree on the A to A car. I did 9924 miles in mine in 12 months, all over Europe, left it on the street, in multi storey car parks, packed full of luggage for nearly 2 weeks. Not a better car on the planet for thrills. The GOAT.
the car is not GOAT
YOU are.
10k in 12 months!!!
I did 4k in 12 months and many thought that was too much hahahahah
Old 01-15-2024, 03:31 AM
yoshi86
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you all for the input. This is extremely helpful.
My view is the GT3rs and ST are definitely NOT the same car, but I should be report back in a few months when I get the ST and do a back to back comparison.

I understand the CGT is an "addition" type vehicle, but I am somewhat confined in garage space and a consolidation would help with that is where this thought exercise rooted from.
The difficulty is that 1-ST will be on lease for first 12months so won't be able to take advantage of CGT stop drive situation (I assume this reduces price?) and 2-I don't think anyone will let me extensively test drive a CGT (or let alone even around the block?) so you just have to go into it with blind faith.
I've been in one as a passenger but can't really know without rowing the gears yourself.

I'm not one to buy cars for investments so that angle is irrelevant, I do like to drive and enjoy my cars but lack of time, weather conditions and having more than 1 car limits the mileage I am able to realistically put on any of the cars anyways.
It seems that current/ex CGT owners are all in for the CGT and likely wouldn't take the opposite side of the trade (at fair mkt values), so that speaks volume to me.
​​​
Old 01-15-2024, 04:29 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

you actually have to be a good and confident driver to enjoy the CGT.

if you're the kind of person who thinks a 991.2 GT3 clutch is tough to work in traffic , skip it

if you're unable to conceptualize owning a car without nose lift, skip it

if you have never taken traction control off on a 911, skip it.

common thread I see with people who really like CGT- their early track day cars were 993/996/997 or weirder stuff (2010 ACR, 05 FGT, C5 z06) so they don't expect helpful nannies. or they have 2 wheel, open wheel car or kart experience.

driving the CGT requires "track day" level focus and command of the vehicle when you're around other cars. it's completely exhilarating.

parallel side note- guy complained about his 911 handling recently...I asked if he'd ever taken ESC off- he said no. I said it's fine- when you can take ESC off and "play" with the car, you will learn how it handles. He's probably better off with a 918 vs a CGT. Nothing wring with that- a lot of people are.
The following 2 users liked this post by C.J. Ichiban:
993RR (01-15-2024), Scrappy1972 (01-15-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 06:45 AM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Received 327 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by BusDriver
The risk in continuing to use your car - and I had lengthy discussions with the Head of Underwriting for Chubb in the UK extrapolating data on the likelyhood of failures based on number of cars/mileage estimations before and after the 2019 failures - is that in the unlikely event you have an accident attibutable to a component in a global stop drive campaign (akin to an aircraft grounding) you will not be insured and the potential for personal litigation from the third party/ies well, let's just say we don't want to go there.
rk-d (01-15-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 01:59 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 873 Likes on 385 Posts

The single biggest limiting factor for me with my CGT is the lack of nose lift. It makes the car a point A to A car, with careful planning along the way for gas stations, restaurant choices, etc etc.

CGT handling is actually much nicer and easier to predict than my TDF (without traction control, that car is evil). Especially now with the Cup 2 on the CGT, it changes the handling characteristic completely.

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
you actually have to be a good and confident driver to enjoy the CGT.

if you're the kind of person who thinks a 991.2 GT3 clutch is tough to work in traffic , skip it

if you're unable to conceptualize owning a car without nose lift, skip it

if you have never taken traction control off on a 911, skip it.

common thread I see with people who really like CGT- their early track day cars were 993/996/997 or weirder stuff (2010 ACR, 05 FGT, C5 z06) so they don't expect helpful nannies. or they have 2 wheel, open wheel car or kart experience.

driving the CGT requires "track day" level focus and command of the vehicle when you're around other cars. it's completely exhilarating.

parallel side note- guy complained about his 911 handling recently...I asked if he'd ever taken ESC off- he said no. I said it's fine- when you can take ESC off and "play" with the car, you will learn how it handles. He's probably better off with a 918 vs a CGT. Nothing wring with that- a lot of people are.
Old 01-15-2024, 02:12 PM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Received 327 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
The single biggest limiting factor for me with my CGT is the lack of nose lift. It makes the car a point A to A car, with careful planning along the way for gas stations, restaurant choices, etc etc.

CGT handling is actually much nicer and easier to predict than my TDF (without traction control, that car is evil). Especially now with the Cup 2 on the CGT, it changes the handling characteristic completely.
I have the KW damper kit on mine with front and rear axle lift. 50mm increase in ride height in a few seconds up to 50mph plus a far superior adjustable damper to the non-adjustable OEM Sachs. My main reason for having them was the handling improvement, but it's let me get into and out of spots I'd have struggled with before. These and Cup2 tyres have transformed the car.
911Vintage (01-16-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 02:13 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 685 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz

Have you tried an F40? It's a handful when the boost comes on..... for example, when exiting an on-ramp in second gear on cold pavement (ask me how I know). There's nothing to save you aside from skill and lady luck.

Quick Reply: 992 S/T and GT3rs plush cash vs CGT