Lightning Lap - 2024 results

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2024, 10:22 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,559 Likes on 862 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
Wow. And moving on now.
How many american cars have you owned and how many of those were flagship cars? I have owned 2 C7 ZR1s (both manual) GT350 and a GT500. So I put my money where my mouth is. Been there done that. You get what you pay for. In fact with the new Z06, I think its a rip off because its still a chevy but you are now paying literally 50-60% more for a Z07 (vs 2015 Z07).
Old 02-23-2024, 10:52 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,877 Likes on 2,224 Posts

Originally Posted by JCviggen
With the 992 RS being so vastly different aero concept wise it's really going to depend on the specific layout of the track how much there is to gain (if anything)

I wonder if these cars all came on a brand new set of tires or if they had varying states of wear on them, some of the times are a little weird.
The fact that the C&D drivers aren't pros is also a factor. The may not be getting equally close the limit in the various cars. OTOH, the way they drove the cars is probably more representative of what the cars can do with advanced DE drivers, so the data is useful from that standpoint.
Old 02-23-2024, 10:55 AM
markiegt3
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Not wanting to start an argument and in the UK a Z06 is vastly more expensive than in the US, but surely in the US it is a performance car bargain relative to the competition, so surely that is a 'well done' to Chevrolet??
The following users liked this post:
Nine_thousand (02-23-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 02:16 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 306 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by markiegt3
Not wanting to start an argument and in the UK a Z06 is vastly more expensive than in the US, but surely in the US it is a performance car bargain relative to the competition, so surely that is a 'well done' to Chevrolet??
Rule #1 in America today is, "My tribe, right or wrong."
Old 02-23-2024, 03:35 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
everyone who has put a wheel on track knows that. But can still be in the ballpark comparisons. I am honestly shocked the 3RS wasn’t quicker, was expecting more.
It's a track with long straights (rewards power) and mostly short-radius corners (not as much benefit from aero), so it was not playing to 3RS strength perfectly. It did gain some by being able to brake very late after those long straights, though. Also, they pussied it through the S-es - the lift was not necessary. It is understandable and representative of what most drivers will do in real life, at least at first, so it's totally fair from that standpoint, but on the other hand, it's the place where the aero gives the most advantage, and they did not use 100% of the car's ability there. I wish they used Cup2 rather than Cup2R. I don't expect too many people doing enough seat time to approach the car's limits on Cup2Rs - that just becomes too costly.
Old 02-23-2024, 03:38 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by JCviggen
With the 992 RS being so vastly different aero concept wise it's really going to depend on the specific layout of the track how much there is to gain (if anything)

I wonder if these cars all came on a brand new set of tires or if they had varying states of wear on them, some of the times are a little weird.
They used multiple sets of tires per car. I think in the "behind the scenes" they mentioned the only car that did not get the best possible fresh tires for the hero laps was the M3.
Old 02-23-2024, 03:48 PM
Oileater
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
No, I dont want to deal with Chevy. This isnt expectation of X quality at a price point of Y. Its more like refusing to deal with the brand no matter what Nd no matter how cheap it is. Z06 could be $60,000 instead of $174,000 (my build was) and I still would think the same way. Its the total package of owning a corvette from lawn chair people to gas station talk to dealership waiting room environment. I’d rather buy a VW golf if I didnt have the means or an M2. Because those track times it posts makes up less than 1% of the time of ownership. The other 99% is filled with the points I highlighted. This isnt your prestigious GT40 of an american sports car manufacturer. Its a mass produced every cent of profit squeezed at the cost of quality chevy.

Sure. I migrated away from Corvettes and Camaros also for certain points you’re making. But I still give kudos to the GM engineers for making the Z06.

On a related note, does this circuit not also favor high horsepower cars? Which makes the results even more interesting.
Old 02-23-2024, 04:03 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
It's a track with long straights (rewards power) and mostly short-radius corners (not as much benefit from aero), so it was not playing to 3RS strength perfectly. It did gain some by being able to brake very late after those long straights, though. Also, they pussied it through the S-es - the lift was not necessary. It is understandable and representative of what most drivers will do in real life, at least at first, so it's totally fair from that standpoint, but on the other hand, it's the place where the aero gives the most advantage, and they did not use 100% of the car's ability there. I wish they used Cup2 rather than Cup2R. I don't expect too many people doing enough seat time to approach the car's limits on Cup2Rs - that just becomes too costly.
VIR esses are scary! One time, I increased my approach speed by too big of an increment and I wasn't sure the car would hold when I turned in, so I took a shortcut through the grass and re-joined the paved surface at the top. That was the closest I came to high-speed crash, and plenty of people have wrecked in the esses. 130+ mph average up the esses is a lot of speed.

Overall, I think VIR has enough fast corners (NASCAR, esses, south bend, hog pen) that the 3RS aero should work well there. But aero drag will certainty hurt the lap on the back straight and front straight. 3RS needs more power to complete the package, the aero has outrun the 4.0 NA engine.
Old 02-23-2024, 06:07 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,738 Likes on 2,700 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Overall, I think VIR has enough fast corners (NASCAR, esses, south bend, hog pen) that the 3RS aero should work well there. But aero drag will certainty hurt the lap on the back straight and front straight. 3RS needs more power to complete the package, the aero has outrun the 4.0 NA engine.
Of course the 3RS would be faster with more power (we’ll see that with the GT2 RS), but there is something very special about that NA dry sump Motorsport engine that is built to an incredibly high standard with razor sharp throttle response.

That makes it so much more satisfying and easy to modulate at the limit, that some people are not going to want to trade that for faster laps.

And this choice may not be available forever…
The following 2 users liked this post by GrantG:
BlazinPond (02-23-2024), EMdoc (02-25-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 07:30 PM
Bumpinjeep
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
They used multiple sets of tires per car. I think in the "behind the scenes" they mentioned the only car that did not get the best possible fresh tires for the hero laps was the M3.
BMW never really gives a **** about the Lightning Lap. Every year the cars they bring cars that have nails in the tires, the wrong tires, or worn out tires. Most of them don't even have the right options to extract the best times. Hell, look at this year's M2, it's the heaviest possible configuration AND worn out tires lol. With the right spec and a fresh set of Cup2s, the car is a 2:50 lap all day. Who sets lap records with a car with a sunroof when a carbon roof is available? Or the standard couch seats when you can have carbon buckets that literally hold you in place?
Some manufacturers sent out cars with multiple sets of tires and a pit crew to extract the best time possible (Ford with the R Compounds) while others are like "we got this car here with half a tank of gas, please put 87 unleaded in it when you're done and clean the bugs off the windshield."
Old 02-23-2024, 08:24 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
Of course the 3RS would be faster with more power (we’ll see that with the GT2 RS), but there is something very special about that NA dry sump Motorsport engine that is built to an incredibly high standard with razor sharp throttle response.

That makes it so much more satisfying and easy to modulate at the limit, that some people are not going to want to trade that for faster laps.

And this choice may not be available forever…
I didn't really find it difficult to modulate the 992 TTS.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:12 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,738 Likes on 2,700 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I didn't really find it difficult to modulate the 992 TTS.
Night and day difference. With AWD and softer suspension and computerized torque distribution, you can’t appreciate (nor require) the same throttle sharpness at the limit as the GT3.

Last edited by GrantG; 02-23-2024 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:14 PM
localmotion411
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 92 Posts

Ridiculous test. “Results” don’t tell us anything.

Like has been said, conditions vary wildly. Even the condition of the lump in the driver seat. Not to mention the setup and alignment on each car. These things vary from car to car from the factory and vary here.

Sorry I just find it impossible to give much merit to these showdowns.
The following users liked this post:
RE_Speed (03-14-2024)
Old 02-24-2024, 12:53 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Surprising to see an AMG GT best all of the Porsches....
Old 02-24-2024, 01:37 PM
Oileater
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

The Black Series is no joke.

Curious what the 992 GT2RS can do with the GT3RS aero.

Quick Reply: Lightning Lap - 2024 results