Sponsored by:

3RS Security

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2024, 01:55 AM
lockie
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 111 Posts
Default 3RS Security

I've seen recent videos about how easy it is to steal the new cars electronically without physically breaking into them.
I signed up for the Porsche Geo Tracking Service but am wondering if anyone else has looked seriously into any other systems. I have also set up the Geo Fence to alert me in the event of the Car being moved. I've probably done everything that can be done, but thought I would check as when I track I have to leave the car outside overnight unattended.

Last edited by lockie; 03-07-2024 at 02:08 AM.
Old 03-07-2024, 02:20 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 608 Likes on 372 Posts

Hide an AirTag in the car?
The following 2 users liked this post by Mech33:
AlexCeres (03-09-2024), lockie (03-07-2024)
Old 03-07-2024, 08:48 AM
Justaroofer
Banned

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by lockie
I've seen recent videos about how easy it is to steal the new cars electronically without physically breaking into them.
I signed up for the Porsche Geo Tracking Service but am wondering if anyone else has looked seriously into any other systems. I have also set up the Geo Fence to alert me in the event of the Car being moved. I've probably done everything that can be done, but thought I would check as when I track I have to leave the car outside overnight unattended.
As old school as it is, LoJack makes an amazing user interface. I track personal and work vehicles and makes for quick recovery supposedly.
The following users liked this post:
lockie (03-07-2024)
Old 03-07-2024, 08:49 AM
2006Z06
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Here in Toronto (which i understand is ground zero for autotheft thanks to the port of Montreal and our accommodating criminal justice system....i digress), the TAG system of installing a number of randomly hidden RFID devices in a car seems to be one of the popular preventative measures.
The system also includes a small etching on driver and passenger glass to alert the scoundrels so that they'll hopefully move on to the next car.
My insurer actually paid to have the system installed on one of my cars already ...thinking about installing it on the RS this spring when it comes out of the den.
There is an affluent area of the city that's been a particular hot-spot of theft as most owners are leaving vehicles on their driveway, and i understand that many have installed this system resulting in a notable decrease of theft....just hearsay mind you.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2006Z06:
lockie (03-07-2024), TOporschefan (03-07-2024)
Old 03-07-2024, 01:30 PM
PoorPorscheMan
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006Z06
Here in Toronto (which i understand is ground zero for autotheft thanks to the port of Montreal and our accommodating criminal justice system....i digress), the TAG system of installing a number of randomly hidden RFID devices in a car seems to be one of the popular preventative measures.
The system also includes a small etching on driver and passenger glass to alert the scoundrels so that they'll hopefully move on to the next car.
My insurer actually paid to have the system installed on one of my cars already ...thinking about installing it on the RS this spring when it comes out of the den.
There is an affluent area of the city that's been a particular hot-spot of theft as most owners are leaving vehicles on their driveway, and i understand that many have installed this system resulting in a notable decrease of theft....just hearsay mind you.

In QC its mandatory for most insurers I believe

Its well worth the 600 bucks. They try to recover even if cops wont so thieves tend to stay away from what I know. Stealing a tag car is like taking a live grenade back to the safe house
Old 03-07-2024, 04:45 PM
smellycat
Instructor

Received 127 Likes on 55 Posts

there are a few different options. I just watched this video. Gave a few different options:

Old 03-07-2024, 05:59 PM
lockie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smellycat
there are a few different options. I just watched this video. Gave a few different options:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHIw...IHRoaWV2ZXM%3D
I saw that and it was quite shocking actually. Definitely worth watching.
I am currently thinking the Porsche GPS Tracking activation might be as good as the Air Tag.
Old 03-07-2024, 06:01 PM
lockie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2006Z06
I am not sure if there is a dealer in B.C. i couldn't locate one. It does look to be a great deterent.
Old 03-07-2024, 06:32 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

Airtag is less than $25. You can set locations and get alerts. It is a no-brainer to put one of them in the car. You have to change the battery say every 6 months.
Old 03-07-2024, 07:21 PM
Justaroofer
Banned

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by rodneyr
Airtag is less than $25. You can set locations and get alerts. It is a no-brainer to put one of them in the car. You have to change the battery say every 6 months.
Most phones will now detect airtag. Samsung for example will notify you that there's an are tag with you.
Old 03-07-2024, 11:10 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,742 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by Justaroofer
Most phones will now detect airtag. Samsung for example will notify you that there's an are tag with you.
so you’re saying it’s easy for thieves to find out whether there’s an AirTag in the car and locate it, or just that AirTags work with Samsung phones as well as Apple?
The following users liked this post:
BlazinPond (03-09-2024)
Old 03-07-2024, 11:34 PM
Boneguy
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm also in Toronto with a 3RS and when it comes out of the den... It will be getting the Ghost CANbus system. It is similar to that TAG one described by the sounds of it. As mentioned... Toronto is a hotspot. I'm not playing around with dinky detectable airtags.
Old 03-08-2024, 12:04 PM
lockie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Boneguy
I'm also in Toronto with a 3RS and when it comes out of the den... It will be getting the Ghost CANbus system. It is similar to that TAG one described by the sounds of it. As mentioned... Toronto is a hotspot. I'm not playing around with dinky detectable airtags.
Could this be installed by the Porsche Dealership once you buy the system.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:24 AM
Boneguy
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

You may be able to. I'm personally not as the distributor also does the install... Or at least has done it on a friend's car. I will look into insurance tho.

My monthly insurance went up 2.5x compared to my 991.2 3RS. Anyone here seen insurance rates decrease after installing antigtheft systems? There was one or two mentions in this thread, hoping for some Canadian examples. Canada is know for its insane insurance rates!
Old 03-09-2024, 10:15 AM
2006Z06
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Boneguy
You may be able to. I'm personally not as the distributor also does the install... Or at least has done it on a friend's car. I will look into insurance tho.

My monthly insurance went up 2.5x compared to my 991.2 3RS. Anyone here seen insurance rates decrease after installing antigtheft systems? There was one or two mentions in this thread, hoping for some Canadian examples. Canada is know for its insane insurance rates!
i'm with Chubb, just under $3k....waiting to hear if there's a discount if anti theft device installed (insurer paid for its installation in my redeye).

Quick Reply: 3RS Security