Notices
992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 GT3 RS & why extremely few will push it to the max on the track!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 11:40 AM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 76 Posts

Tire warmers make a significant difference for setting record laps.(factory use them)
No kidding around with that. But besides that, it’s rare for the laptimes to be replicated, hence it Will not happen as its hard. Wtf Jörgs brake tip to force them wings up is top dog Development driver tip.

Hitting a button or braking to manage aerodynamics might sound easy, but at Nürburgring, at those speeds, it becomes a real challenge. Sometimes it's also about delicately tapping the brakes to adjust the wings.

Mainly, I'm saying that most will likely use automatic DRS, and then the car will give max aero through the fast twists mid up Kesselchen hill, making it slower up Kesselchen. This will repeat at various points, and you've got to know the speeds and realize how aerodynamics can actually work against you.

Also, there's no reason to run manual DRS if you're not up to speed. Close to factory pace)

Previous RS models never had anything that could actively work against you and clearly, speeds drop if you don't know what you're doing in 992 RS. Sure DRS Auto is ok, but it Will miss things, and thats why Jörg overide it.

That alone is enough for me to see how hard it's going to be for the average person to grasp. Because generally, people seldom dive into the data to see how the wing makes the car slower or faster on different stretches.

Even if you have Jörg’s YouTube lap as a guide, it’s hardly repeatable, though it is possible.

I had the privilege of being invited by Jörg to their premiere event for the Master RS at SPA in April 2023. We were 10 people from all over the world at the MASTER RS EVENT premiere.

All 10 of us got our own RS to basically have free rein with after a classroom session that thoroughly went over every feature of the car down to the correct tire pressure and so on.

Since I hadn’t driven at SPA for about 7 years, and this was only my second time visiting SPA, I chose to just let the car do its thing. I disengaged the ESC NeXT step from full-off and set the gearbox and DRS, etc., to automatic.

Haha, I ended up focusing on finding Vmax and braking points. I messed with the DRS button a few times but quickly gave that up; it’s doable, but tricky in a borrowed car. It’s also tough because I have to find the spots where the aerodynamics are helpful or slowing me down. In theory, it’s easy, or if you have, say, Jörg's answers, but we didn’t have that here. It takes time to go over the data charts, maybe try out how much a max wing slows you down on the straights versus a retracted wing, etc., to increase understanding.

We did have VBOX data 📊 logger in all cars and Mark Webber was all over us to pick up speed & brake better etc. Anyways Jörg was the fasters on Cup R, and all us 10was on CUP2.

I didn’t come to a whole lot of conclusions in those two days, other than the car is more advanced and complex than many realize. You can really mess up with the wing extended in the wrong place, and if you let the car handle it through automatic DRS, it can still mess up with the wrong wing setting. You really need to CHECK YOUR DATA on this car if you want to find success. Unfortunately, most don’t do that.

Anyway, I figured out that I don’t need to brake at all before BLANCHIMONT 2; it’s easy to stay on full throttle through BLANCHIMONT 1 low wing, then just a slight lift off the throttle (no braking) just before BLANCHIMONT 2 (press DRS to now get Max aero …and then back on the gas. This, I would say, is not doable in a 992 GT3 at these speeds.

Here is me in the RS first time.

View this post on Instagram

Last edited by Nur93; 04-11-2024 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-11-2024, 05:53 PM
pepinozaur
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

jfyi

I did 285.x GPS without touching DRS, standard car -no WP, no PCCB.
June 2023 - warm weather
maybe 80% gas, 90l tank
I brake before the dip
Driver - 105 Kg

So far from ideal.. maybe GT3RS can do 292 GPS as-well Those camshafts might help a lot.
The following users liked this post:
Nur93 (04-11-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 06:09 PM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pepinozaur
jfyi

I did 285.x GPS without touching DRS, standard car -no WP, no PCCB.
June 2023 - warm weather
maybe 80% gas, 90l tank
I brake before the dip
Driver - 105 Kg

So far from ideal.. maybe GT3RS can do 292 GPS as-well Those camshafts might help a lot.
No 992 GT3 RS Will pull as high Vmax as 992 GT3 on Nurburgring. Here is my data 📊 in my 💯 % stock 992 GT3- data 📊 from 10hz Porsche track presicion app via CarPlay/ PCM.

My Vmax is 292 real GPS speed in to Tiergarten dip, and then i got 299 km / h on the speed display in car. Just as i go in to Tiergarten dip i go of gas pedal and brake.

Last edited by Nur93; 04-11-2024 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-11-2024, 06:48 PM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

I also tried low downforce (flat wings front/back) through BLANCHIMONT 2, haha, I wouldn’t recommend that. Then you are a bit on the slide. Also I turn in to aggressive and dont let car out to right i guess. Hence I slide …

But low wing and full throttle through BLANCHIMONT 1 is fine, as the video above shows.

Also, in the video in above post, I deployed max aerodynamics just before BLANCHIMONT 2, no slide and full grip even faster speed vs video below and just that action alone slows the car down quite effectively, so there’s no need to actually brake with the wheel brakes. The aero itself provides quite good braking when you’re at that speed and deploy the flaps (wings).

View this post on Instagram
Old 04-11-2024, 06:52 PM
pepinozaur
Racer

992 GT3 record lap - vmax=286 kmh
992 GT3 MR record lap - vmax=289kmh (perhaps more drag and still faster!)
992 GT3RS record lap - vmax=289kmh

Idk how to explain the speeds above, but they are what can be seen in each vid.

I did - 285.4kmh (Garmin)

It seems your car is pretty fast, or the weather/other factors helped you reaching 292kmh!

Nur93 (04-12-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 07:02 PM
pepinozaur
Racer

Originally Posted by Nur93
I also tried low downforce (flat wings front/back) through BLANCHIMONT 2, haha, I wouldn’t recommend that. Then you are a bit on the slide. Also I turn in to aggressive and dont let car out to right i guess. Hence I slide …

But low wing and full throttle through BLANCHIMONT 1 is fine, as the video above shows.

Also, in the video in above post, I deployed max aerodynamics just before BLANCHIMONT 2, no slide and full grip even faster speed vs video below and just that action alone slows the car down quite effectively, so there’s no need to actually brake with the wheel brakes. The aero itself provides quite good braking when you’re at that speed and deploy the flaps (wings).

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CyOvY...lsNTkwOXZkMXJj

Only 2:37 best lap @SPA in the RS ... at least I had a passenger. A lot of time left on the table for me there as I need more practice, I pressed the brakes to get high DF mode in Blanchimont2 as I have seen somewhere Lowest speed was 204-205 gps (Garmin)

That reel is crazy, I remember watching it some time ago. Nice save!
Nur93 (04-12-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 08:07 PM
Orca911
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 202 Posts

To get this thread back on topic for the GT3 Technical Forum.....is that the Bose or the Burmeister system playing 'Careless Whisper' and what was the CXX code for the yellow stripe on your wheel?

thanks for these posts!!
Nur93 (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 04:43 AM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pepinozaur
992 GT3 record lap - vmax=286 kmh
992 GT3 MR record lap - vmax=289kmh (perhaps more drag and still faster!)
992 GT3RS record lap - vmax=289kmh

Idk how to explain the speeds above, but they are what can be seen in each vid.

I did - 285.4kmh (Garmin)

It seems your car is pretty fast, or the weather/other factors helped you reaching 292kmh!
hehe thanks, i know, my 992 GT3 is fast on the straights, not even factory Drivers got faster data 📊 on Döttinger as you say. But I know Jörg got a LOT of wind against his car that record lap day, but still RS wing game is big and on long straights its seen i guess….

You could see my 292 KM real GPS speed lap here. (299 km on speedo), i guess I could go a few km faster if pushing car more in to the Tiergarten Dip on full throttle. But people die at this spot rolling the car hence I dont push to hard here. The Tiergarten section of the Nürburgring received new asphalt as part of the resurfacing works that were completed by the end of f
February 2022. Hence its not as big danger here nowdsys as I am sure you know. Prior to this it was really crazy-scary doing 300 km in to the Dip.

Last edited by Nur93; 04-12-2024 at 04:50 AM.
Old 04-12-2024, 05:14 AM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Orca911
To get this thread back on topic for the GT3 Technical Forum.....is that the Bose or the Burmeister system playing 'Careless Whisper' and what was the CXX code for the yellow stripe on your wheel?

thanks for these posts!!
haha thanks Buddy, I always opt for light spec car, hence no fancy things to pork the car up. I am in it for the drivetrain. Haha thats accually true, hence my cars dont have, pdc, rear Camera, lift system, lights that follow the road (thats “nonsense” )

Also Weisach is for “posers” my car Will be No Weisach as Jörgs car is no Weisach (hehe)

Last edited by Nur93; 04-12-2024 at 05:17 AM.
Old 04-12-2024, 05:16 AM
redpriest
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 86 Posts

I agree with you about fully exploiting;
the limits here are much higher. At the same time, the car is so friendly to drive and superior even in slow speed sections that I think a beginner can get a lot out of the car.
The following 3 users liked this post by redpriest:
BlazinPond (04-12-2024), Nizer (04-12-2024), Nur93 (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 05:59 AM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by redpriest
I agree with you about fully exploiting;
the limits here are much higher. At the same time, the car is so friendly to drive and superior even in slow speed sections that I think a beginner can get a lot out of the car.
Very well put Sir..

I Agree 100%,

I mean geting close to cars limit. Thats my take, that Will be extra hard in this 992 GT3 RS.

992 GT3 RS is Like NISSMO GT-R like cars is easy and its no issue for rookie. But its few Nissan GT-R average Joe like geting to the cars limit. Sama on new 992 GT3 RS. Other than that the new GT3 is very easy safe for all driver for sure. Thats also why its not as fun to drive as GT4 RS I think.

your posts make me realize that I need to clarify… largely, the new RS to me is like a Nissan GT-R, easy to drive and inspiring confidence for everyone - but there is a limit. Anyone can push the cars decently, but it takes a lot of ***** and a lot of insight and knowledge about the car’s potential along with an interest in interpreting data to approach the car’s full potential.

It’s not something we average Joes can manage just like that, despite the car being nice and easy to drive up to a certain point.

Last edited by Nur93; 04-12-2024 at 06:31 AM.
Old 04-12-2024, 07:42 AM
pepinozaur
Racer

Default GY R on 3RS

Nordschleife - Good Year Supersport R, on cup2r improved a bit to 2.45g and .13g lateral, and about 2g under braking. This is fantastic for gt3rs on regular tires and close to Cup2Rs. I did multipe 7:01 in traffic and 6:53 or 54 ideal lap. I am a bit ashamed of this, but I was in that group that thought DRS available is the same as DRS enabled… so maybe these tires in good hands will do a virtual best of 6:4x

I used 2 sets of GY R and now I put Cup2. For me, the GY is the superior tire, it has more front grip and grips nicely till cording.
Everybody in the 3RS gang told me that Cup2 is the better tire, what is your opinion guys?

Also looking for GY SS RS launch for 3RS as they seem to shine on GT4RS already. Mid June…

trofeo rs will be another tire to look for pretty soon..

also cup2r fronts seem to become available starting the end of April… crazy how michelin was producing only rears…

mthreat (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 09:57 AM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

It is difficult to get the max on the track because 90%+ of the people that drive the car don't have the skill to get anywhere near the max capability of the car. This is a very basic concept and unless you are a pro driver you will not be able to unleash the full potential of the 992 GT3 RS or any car.
Nur93 (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 11:51 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Best thread in forever around here, thanks Nur93.

Agree with the comment above, but also even with the skill to push the limit in a street car, no full cage, that's asking for trouble. Maybe when I was younger...

The Dunlops (Goodyear) I preferred on the 991.2 over the Cup2, expect the same will be true here.

Wish I had this thread last fall when I was there with my car!
Nur93 (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 01:03 PM
Orca911
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 202 Posts

Quick Reply: 992 GT3 RS & why extremely few will push it to the max on the track!