Notices
992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 GT3 RS & why extremely few will push it to the max on the track!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 10:42 AM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 76 Posts
Default 992 GT3 RS & why extremely few will push it to the max on the track!

Here are my very personal opinions: even more people will find it difficult to fully exploit the new 992 GT3 RS than ever before with previous RS models.
This has to do with DRS and the following text.

And I think ..This is what makes the new RS particularly interesting in my eyes:

That you need to have good track knowledge and be able to interpret 📊 data to ultimately take advantage of it on the track. Because with the new RS, you can easily drive astray if you don’t know where you need maximum aero vs. minimum aero, this is because the DRS auto evidently has its shortcomings. (On Nurburgring anyways) And you must be able to bypass the DRS system manually, which places enormous demands on the driver and this has never been the case with previous RS models. (Even with those, few can take the max out of them, but it’s certainly easier to approach the limits compared to the new 992 GT3 RS)

Untill here its my Words and text..Please read on from Sport Auto below. The text comes from the esteemed German *Sport Auto. I have just translated from German to American English as well as AI could!

*from here its *sport autos text…….

The GT3 RS adapts in the Auto-Aero function to the majority of the driving situations correctly, but as a track-passenger on the Nordschleife, where the flaps and wing in Auto mode might still be slightly raised or are already raised again, where a knowledgeable driver would wish for the Downforce to be low, that is the flat wing and flap position, in order to minimize air resistance in ideal conditions and thus to convert it into a better lap time.

In some sections of the Nordschleife, the RS has already brought so much downforce with its flat wing in Low Downforce that the Auto-Aero system would be sufficient, ensuring that one should not set the flaps and wing to High Downforce unnecessarily. To make sure that the Auto-Aero system does not set flaps and wing to High Downforce and thus unnecessarily increase downforce and air resistance, you should therefore engage the manually operated DRS button.

In nine Nordschleife sections, Jörg Bergmeister (factory driver who did the lap on NBR) has, with the DRS button, ‘overruled’ the Auto system and set wing and flaps in Low Downforce position:

from the end of Hatzenbach and Quiddelbacher Höhe, decelerating into Flugplatz up to braking into Schwedenkreuz left, entrance to Fuchsröhre up to braking before Fuchsröhre curb, Wehrseifen up to Breidscheid, behind Ex-Mühle through Lauda-Eck up to braking into Bergwerk, Kesselchen on braking into Mutkurve, from Eiskurve up to Pflanzgarten 1, along Bellof-S and on Döttinger Höhe. During the supertest lap, I only forgot to press the DRS button after Bellof-S, otherwise, the DRS zones prescribed by Jörg were reproducible.

*my text…Sport Auto And Christian G was still 10seconds slower in the 992 GT3 RS than Jörg Bergmeisters FACTORY lap on the Sama lap distance (20.6km)

Compare this to when sport auto Christian G was only 5seconds slower in 992 GT3 vs Lars Kerns factorylap in same lap distance (20.6)

Last edited by Nur93; 04-10-2024 at 12:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Orca911 (04-11-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 10:57 AM
Justaroofer
Banned

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Nur93
Here are my very personal opinions: even more people will find it difficult to fully exploit the new 992 GT3 RS than ever before with previous RS models.
This has to do with DRS and the following text.

And I think ..This is what makes the new RS particularly interesting in my eyes:

That you need to have good track knowledge and be able to interpret 📊 data to ultimately take advantage of it on the track. Because with the new RS, you can easily drive astray if you don’t know where you need maximum aero vs. minimum aero, this is because the DRS auto evidently has its shortcomings. (On Nurburgring anyways) And you must be able to bypass the DRS system manually, which places enormous demands on the driver and this has never been the case with previous RS models. (Even with those, few can take the max out of them, but it’s certainly easier to approach the limits compared to the new 992 GT3 RS)

Untill here its my Words and text..Please read on from Sport Auto below. The text comes from the esteemed German *Sport Auto. I have just translated from German to American English as well as AI could!

*from here its *sport autos text…….

The GT3 RS adapts in the Auto-Aero function to the majority of the driving situations correctly, but as a track-passenger on the Nordschleife, where the flaps and wing in Auto mode might still be slightly raised or are already raised again, where a knowledgeable driver would wish for the Downforce to be low, that is the flat wing and flap position, in order to minimize air resistance in ideal conditions and thus to convert it into a better lap time.

In some sections of the Nordschleife, the RS has already brought so much downforce with its flat wing in Low Downforce that the Auto-Aero system would be sufficient, ensuring that one should not set the flaps and wing to High Downforce unnecessarily. To make sure that the Auto-Aero system does not set flaps and wing to High Downforce and thus unnecessarily increase downforce and air resistance, you should therefore engage the manually operated DRS button.

In nine new Nordschleife sections, Jörg has, with the DRS button, ‘overruled’ the Auto system and set wing and flaps in Low Downforce position: from the end of Hatzenbach and Quiddelbacher Höhe, decelerating into Flugplatz up to braking into Schwedenkreuz left, entrance to Fuchsröhre up to braking before Fuchsröhre curb, Wehrseifen up to Breidscheid, behind Ex-Mühle through Lauda-Eck up to braking into Bergwerk, Kesselchen on braking into Mutkurve, from Eiskurve up to Pflanzgarten 1, along Bellof-S and on Döttinger Höhe. During the supertest lap, I only forgot to press the DRS button after Bellof-S, otherwise, the DRS zones prescribed by Jörg were reproducible.

The current RS is the Porsche Motorsport gift to the street scene. Between them and the GT division, lots of money invested. The ST will live in the shadows over time, while the 3RS will always shine as a pinnacle for performance.
The following 2 users liked this post by Justaroofer:
Gk101 (04-10-2024), Nur93 (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 12:41 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,810 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by Justaroofer
The current RS is the Porsche Motorsport gift to the street scene. Between them and the GT division, lots of money invested. The ST will live in the shadows over time, while the 3RS will always shine as a pinnacle for performance.
You make it seem like Porsche will never build another GT3RS. You do realize that the next GT3RS will be better than this one, right?
The following 3 users liked this post by usctrojanGT3:
adr0104 (05-01-2024), InfamousS/T (04-10-2024), tmslc (04-11-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 12:47 PM
Justaroofer
Banned

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
You make it seem like Porsche will never build another GT3RS. You do realize that the next GT3RS will be better than this one, right?
Sure if they shrink the body by 8-10%.
Old 04-10-2024, 12:53 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Next one 992.2 is THE final one that all of us will relate to. Not saying any more than that. 992.1 and .2 are it.
Old 04-10-2024, 01:33 PM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Just my 2 cents on the new RS in my Words …Here’s another example of why the RS is unique and why most will never experience its full potential at all… My guess is that the majority of those who own & drive a 992 RS will at best not even actually come close to a standard 992 GT3,(even when driving the 992 RS) This Will for sure be the case on shorter track when aero is not in play, hence RS is more pork-car and is not as fast straight on. My GT3 is even faster on the Nurburgring Vmax than factory laps Vmax in 992 GT3 RS

… it will require much more insight and understanding to extract what makes the 992 RS distinctly RS…..I’d like to highlight the long straight at Nurburgring which is not straight at all; it curves significantly as you hit 290 km/h on the dial right into the left turn towards the bridge.

I maintain full throttle here with the 992 GT3 and hit 299 km/h (on speedo) at the bottom of the Tiergarten dip…you hear the cars body scrape to bottom thats how to know if you are on it down here. (Thats real GPS speed of 292 km/h bottom Tiergarten Dip, in my 992 GT3)

Hence no need for more aero than 992 GT3. Consequently, you’d want to ride with DRS active and low wing throughout this section in 992 GT3 RS, which Jörg Bergmeister of course does in the RS during the record lap.

Now, to the interesting part, after the dip in Tiergarten where you always reach the highest speed (about 150-200 meters after the bridge), you usually need to brake in most cars since the dial shows 300 in the Tiergarten Dip..

Haha, in the new RS, you don’t need to brake here before the fast left/right section after the Tiergarten Dip.

The only reason Jörg Bergmeister lightly taps the brakes here is just to raise the front & rear wings, to maintain max aero pressure through the S section just after Tiergarten Dip. He was LOW wing on straight but force the wing up past the S section after Tiergarten Dip.(even the S section is straight its wing up for safety as its 300 in dip and still its a S section you drive straight on)

(You could also press the DRS button on the steering wheel(as i recall from test drivingbit) to lift the full wing front & back up but it's risky to fiddle with the wheel at 300km on the dial, hence you’d ideally tap the brakes to RAISE the wings here ..

Jörg therefore doesn’t press the brakes to slow down the car with the wheel brakes but it automatically adds just the right amount of braking to the car by raising full Aerodynamics & maintain full throttle through. This is what makes the RS my favorite car:-)

*here below is What sport auto say about this section …

The high-speed left bend after Döttinger Höhe leading into Antoniusbuche is taken with the low-wing DRS setting at a comfortable 285 km/h. Even in the Low-Downforce setting with flat wing and flaps, the 992 GT3 RS generates 138 kilos of total downforce at 200 km/h, almost as much as a standard 992 GT3 does in its High-Downforce setting (144 kilos at 200 km/h).Descending into the Tiergarten dip, the body now hunkers down even more onto the track for safety reasons on the Nordschleife.

The 992 GT3 RS shows off its impressive washboard stomach, so to speak. Apart from GT3 race cars, you have to be able to brake all cars, including street cars, in the left-right combination after the Tiergarten dip.But the GT3 RS is different: it blazes along the trails of Grello and Co. With minimal gas lift, it can fly through the curve combinations without braking, almost at full throttle through the serpentine bends. Incredible!And now, how is the seemingly impossible feat achieved of driving the left-right combination without braking?

Can you drive the combination almost fully and without braking? Now comes the internal so-called “Bergmeister Brake Tipping” function into play. While you’re still almost fully on the throttle in the Tiergarten dip with your right foot, you briefly tap the brake with your left foot. It all sounds theoretically easy, but if you’re really hammering down into the Tiergarten hole at 290 km/h, still in compression and you can hear the fully enclosed underbody briefly scraping, then it costs you a lot of overcoming at the first attempt to just lightly tap the gas and the brake.

G-Force Record: up to 1.95 g!

But the RS pays back the effort with magic. Within 300 to 350 milliseconds, the wing and flaps set themselves into the High-Downforce position by the brake tipping. It means that at 285 km/h, the RS generates a monstrous 860 kilos of downforce. Insane, that makes the wing miracle from Flacht even surpass the previous aero guru McLaren Senna, which achieves a maximum of 800 kilos of downforce.

This text highlights the sophisticated aerodynamic features of the Porsche and its impressive downforce capabilities, which are considered to be even more advanced than those of the legendary McLaren Senna.

Last edited by Nur93; 04-10-2024 at 01:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nur93:
lockie (04-11-2024), mthreat (04-11-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 01:57 PM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

good read.
thank you.

lets wait for the camber adjustment maybe we see this already with the 992.2 RS´s

so we count:
ABS
TC (adjustable)
ESP
Automatic transmission
electric steering
rear steering
aktive aero
(and all the engine adjustment)
active damper
active swaybars
= play station
but so good - that we still like it!
Nur93 (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 07:42 PM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jo_ker
good read.
thank you.

lets wait for the camber adjustment maybe we see this already with the 992.2 RS´s

so we count:
ABS
TC (adjustable)
ESP
Automatic transmission
electric steering
rear steering
aktive aero
(and all the engine adjustment)
active damper
active swaybars
= play station
but so good - that we still like it!
haha you have a god point, and thats why I accually think the 4RS is more fun to drive vs 3RS! 4RS is more old-school fun not as grippy not on rails as 3RS! I know Jörg also agree, but in terms of laptimes its 3RS..
Old 04-10-2024, 08:18 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 571 Posts

I don't disagree with the main point, but I think it's not such a big deal. It's not so hard to push a button when needed, especially given it needs to be done in the same place on every lap - it's just like shifting gears with paddles. It's only hard until you get used to it. Knowing when to press it is also going to be fairly straightforward - just look at the data. Find places where G-sum is below the maximum the car can achieve but aero is fully on - that's a potential opportunity to go faster with less aero. Then try it and see if it's indeed faster. For a familiar track, it should not take more than 1-2 days.

Also, unfortunately, most North American tracks are too slow for this to become a major factor.

I suspect what played a bigger role in Sportauto's lap difference was recalibrating the brain to more traction, especially on braking. RS decelerates like nothing else that's street legal, especially at high speeds, and it's very easy to overslow. But it's not that powerful compared to supercars, so it's critical to roll in as much speed as possible, especially on a fast track like the Ring - for many corners, if you overslow on entry, there is just no way to recover lost speed all the way until the next braking zone, so even a couple of mph will matter.

What's going to be truly diabolical is optimizing suspension and diff settings. SportAuto got suggested settings from Porsche, but the rest of us will not have such luxury for our tracks.

But it's all great stuff! It opens up the next level of driver development and allows mere mortals to glimpse into what drivers in advanced racing series have to manage.
The following 5 users liked this post by MaxLTV:
AlexCeres (04-13-2024), GrantG (04-10-2024), lockie (04-11-2024), Nur93 (04-11-2024), Orca911 (04-11-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 01:16 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,871 Likes on 4,812 Posts

The same sentiment was extant when the 765LT was first introduced and journo lap time were sometimes slower than the 720S (see Chris Harris).

Once people got used to the car, all was right again in the world.
AlexCeres (04-13-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 07:54 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,242 Likes on 2,730 Posts

Certainly can't be anymore busy than a heel toe downshift.
The following 4 users liked this post by rk-d:
adr0104 (05-01-2024), erik_plus8 (04-12-2024), MaxLTV (04-11-2024), superfast02911 (04-12-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 08:04 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 966 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Nur93
haha you have a god point, and thats why I accually think the 4RS is more fun to drive vs 3RS! 4RS is more old-school fun not as grippy not on rails as 3RS! I know Jörg also agree, but in terms of laptimes its 3RS..
agree 100%. DEs are not racing, so for me it’s what makes me have the most fun. I much prefer the 4RS to my 992 GT3, it’s more challenging to tame and I enjoy that. I said along time ago the GT3 was so good that almost anyone could get into it and put in quick laps while looking like an experienced driver. 4RS with its old suspension setup and smaller tires make you work, much trickier to tame which is a lot of fun! But, soon I will have laps in the 992 RS and might change my mind….
The following 2 users liked this post by disden:
Nur93 (04-11-2024), usctrojanGT3 (04-11-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 09:11 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Justaroofer
Sure if they shrink the body by 8-10%.
that is not how porsche works man. they just increased the body size to increase the front and rear track. they use light weight materials to offset the unfavorable weight variance with the added size.

i am not saying porsche will make them bigger, only it makes no sense for them to make them smaller.

adr0104 (05-01-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 10:03 AM
Orca911
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 202 Posts

As an intermediate track junkie I couldn't agree more.
I did have the opportunity to swap my GT3 allocation for a RS (granted with some strings attached). Money aside (realistically the RS deal would have been economically WAY better for me in the short term) I choose to stay with the GT3.
Why?
I don't need all that ****. The GT3 is probably too much car for me as it is. I should be in a Miata or an E36 M3, or a Ginetta or a Rush. In my opinion, the RS is total overkill for someone not on the track to prove something. And to be more provocative, the GT3 is overkill for someone not using it as a track car. I would love a Targa or a T for driving around "spiritedly" on public roads.
The following 3 users liked this post by Orca911:
adr0104 (05-01-2024), Nur93 (04-11-2024), usctrojanGT3 (04-11-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 10:48 AM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Here you go people, Ride it @NBR like Jörg’s Nordschleife settings

PASM: front axle rebound stage +3, compression stage 0, rear axle rebound stage +4, rear axle compression stage 0, PTV+ Coast 0, Power 0, DSC off, TC 0.

The following 3 users liked this post by Nur93:
mthreat (04-12-2024), pepinozaur (04-11-2024), superfast02911 (04-12-2024)

Quick Reply: 992 GT3 RS & why extremely few will push it to the max on the track!