Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

How to program homelink

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 12:40 PM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 753 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Razzou
I had no problem programing the homelink but it will only pop up on the screen 1 out of 10 when i am leaving or carriving to the house. I programed the diamond button on the left side of the steering wheel to connect homelink. Just push it if you don't see it on the screen.
Pretty much sums it up, it usuallys works but had to use the program button to make it ALWAYS work

Last edited by hcvone; 06-22-2021 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:03 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

If you program the button on the steering wheel, can you open/close the door that way while the back up camera remains displayed?
Old 03-30-2021, 04:31 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 292 Likes on 172 Posts

I feel like this is Porsche's 'BMW no detent turn signal moment' they went and made something very simple, very dumb for no good reason. Note BMW finally gave up on the no turn signal detent around 2018 and went back to having a detent.
The following users liked this post:
hcvone (06-06-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 06:38 PM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Received 239 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
If you program the button on the steering wheel, can you open/close the door that way while the back up camera remains displayed?
No the button just brings up the home link on the screen you still have to hit the button on the screen.
Old 04-05-2021, 12:19 AM
Rflichman
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not feeling great about how difficult it can be to programing Homelink, but then to have it only work occasionally once programed, is a bit much!
I decided to purchase a set of garage door openers from Amazon for less than $15.00, I will program them, problem solved!!!
Old 04-05-2021, 08:51 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rflichman
I'm not feeling great about how difficult it can be to programing Homelink, but then to have it only work occasionally once programed, is a bit much!
I decided to purchase a set of garage door openers from Amazon for less than $15.00, I will program them, problem solved!!!
The programming was fine, it's more a daily use issue for me
Old 04-05-2021, 01:11 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,191 Posts

I've been using a combination that works extremely well. A hard wired Button on the wall, Alexa, a system called TailWind and Homelink.
When I enter the garage I push the Button on the wall and the garage door opens -or- I can ask Alexa to do it.
When I leave, TailWind closes the garage door automatically as I leave it's sensing perimeter, and this distance can be adjusted on their app.
When I return Tailwind opens the garage door, when I'm about a block away. This distance can also be adjusted on their app.
As I pull into the garage HomeLink pops up and I can press that "X" on the PCM to close the garage door -or- I can ask Alexa to close the garage door -or- I can push the button on the wall.

HOWEVER . . . when all's said and done, why Porsche couldn't just have stayed with a button on the bottom of the rear view mirror is completely lost on me. IMHO it's a tech geeks solution to a problem that didn't exist!
Old 04-05-2021, 01:47 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

My only guess is that software code costs a lot less, and can be adapted to more platforms, than buttons. I've worked out a fairly efficient approach with the GPS and diamond button on the steering wheel. Not as good as an old-fashion button, but not bad now. My only remaining nit is that I wish there were someway to close the doors without getting out of the back up screen. As is, I back out, put it in park, close the doors, and put it back in reverse -- which seems needlessly cumbersome when any entry-level car on the market is easier. But hey, at least we don't have to pull the motor out to change spark plugs....
Old 06-05-2021, 07:09 PM
Cpiguy
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts

I thought I was going crazy trying to make Homelink work properly. Tesla has this figured out. They do the exact same thing, and it works perfectly, including the Homelink locations appear on top of the rear view camera image when backing up.
Old 06-08-2021, 04:18 PM
ER911S
Pro

Received 222 Likes on 132 Posts

It actually works fine once you get the hang of it. It's the user that has to be trained lol.
I have one of the custom button programmed for homelink, When I get relatively close to the house, I click on that button and the center screen will populate what you have programmed. if you program your garages with location turned on, once you get close to your house (around 50 feet), the choices will pop. A solid tap on the name with your finger (screen will acknowledge the input with a little "strength signal" for a second) works just fine. Practice with it a few times and you will quickly find the right way to tap the screen so that it sends the signal.
My only issue is in the morning while PCM syncs my iphone, I cannot access the homelink and have to wait for it.
Valid point from Tom that doing it with PCM rather than separate buttons is probably cheaper and easier for Porsche.
On the positive side of things, it did save us a few grams and if it does not work well, Porsche can fix it with a software update.
The automatic opening features of other systems do not work for me as I keep dogs in the garage and I sometimes do not want the doors opened when I come home.

Last edited by ER911S; 06-08-2021 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:24 PM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ER911S
It actually works fine once you get the hang of it. It's the user that has to be trained lol.
I have one of the custom button programmed for homelink, When I get relatively close to the house, I click on that button and the center screen will populate what you have programmed. if you program your garages with location turned on, once you get close to your house (around 50 feet), the choices will pop. A solid tap on the name with your finger (screen will acknowledge the input with a little "strength signal" for a second) works just fine. Practice with it a few times and you will quickly find the right way to tap the screen so that it sends the signal.
My only issue is in the morning while PCM syncs my iphone, I cannot access the homelink and have to wait for it.
Valid point from Tom that doing it with PCM rather than separate buttons is probably cheaper and easier for Porsche.
On the positive side of things, it did save us a few grams and if it does not work well, Porsche can fix it with a software update.
The automatic opening features of other systems do not work for me as I keep dogs in the garage and I sometimes do not want the doors opened when I come home.
BINGO It's the morning backout that is the issue, every time my car knows where the house is coming home without fail, of course every time I drive the 991.2's I curse Porsche because it worked so well why change it
Old 06-10-2021, 03:42 PM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Received 239 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by ER911S
Where do you do this?
Old 06-10-2021, 07:49 PM
racerdj
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

By reading all the comments and watching the video, can I assume there are no buttons to program on the rear view mirror? Any advise for needing two opener locations?
Old 06-10-2021, 08:24 PM
ER911S
Pro

Received 222 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddyG
Where do you do this?
In the homelink settings to do program the location.
This should help to program buttons
The following users liked this post:
Steve 96C4S (06-11-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 08:10 PM
brakerlord
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just as a FYI - it may not be possible with all devices. I ended up getting a MyQ Wifi opener + remote which could also be paired with the car's Homelink (the stupid unit the house had couldn't pair before, even though it was listed as Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin supported).

Last edited by brakerlord; 06-23-2021 at 08:33 AM.

Quick Reply: How to program homelink