The manual is not very helpful.
Old 03-23-2021, 03:14 PM
Johnny_C
Advanced

Received 65 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddyG
The manual is not very helpful.
This video was all I needed:

Even after configuring Homelink properly, I could only live with it for a month before opting for this 80's solution:

Amazon Amazon

The 992's Homelink (with GPS) works well some of the time, but it is kludgy at other times. For example, The option to activate/open does not always intelligently appear before or after starting the car in my garage. When reversing out of my garage and driveway, the option to activate/close does not appear, as the full-screen backup camera in displayed instead. Once I'm on the street and click into Drive, the activate/close feature does not necessarily appear. Additionally, the option to activate/open does not always appear when returning home, which may be due to which screen is displayed at the time. The option to activate Homelink is buried a few levels down in a menu, which is very annoying for a feature that's accessed so regularly. I even tried assigning it to a programmable button, but the button's no solution either. It does not activate Homelink, nor does it consistently take you to a screen from where you can. In the end, the 80's tech worked best for me, as I can always hit the easy-button without looking. And really, that's the only thing I have found to bitch about. It is otherwise an astounding car in every way. BTW, I ended up using the programmable steering wheel button for the 360 degree surround view, which does not always auto-activate as soon as I'd like it to.

The following 3 users liked this post by Johnny_C:
ER911S (03-23-2021), G650 (01-01-2022), johnohara (07-29-2023)
Old 03-23-2021, 06:56 PM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 753 Likes on 474 Posts

I fould the programming easy, just have the remote for the door and a ladder with the back of the garage door opener so you can access the learn button, the issue I have is getting the backup camera off so I can close the door, was much better before they sent the Homelink thru the PCM like the old 991 used to do. Hope someone at Porsche was fired for this change
Old 03-23-2021, 07:42 PM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Received 239 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny_C
This video was all I needed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO142p3Rzho

Even after configuring Homelink properly, I could only live with it for a month before opting for this 80's solution:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The 992's Homelink (with GPS) works well some of the time, but it is kludgy at other times. For example, The option to activate/open does not always intelligently appear before or after starting the car in my garage. When reversing out of my garage and driveway, the option to activate/close does not appear, as the full-screen backup camera in displayed instead. Once I'm on the street and click into Drive, the activate/close feature does not necessarily appear. Additionally, the option to activate/open does not always appear when returning home, which may be due to which screen is displayed at the time. The option to activate Homelink is buried a few levels down in a menu, which is very annoying for a feature that's accessed so regularly. I even tried assigning it to a programmable button, but the button's no solution either. It does not activate Homelink, nor does it consistently take you to a screen from where you can. In the end, the 80's tech worked best for me, as I can always hit the easy-button without looking. And really, that's the only thing I have found to bitch about. It is otherwise an astounding car in every way. BTW, I ended up using the programmable steering wheel button for the 360 degree surround view, which does not always auto-activate as soon as I'd like it to.
Thanks the video worked for me
Old 03-24-2021, 10:51 AM
ScottTurbo
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Did I understand that video to say you have to put the car in park to use the home link, please tell me that is wrong?
Old 03-24-2021, 11:02 AM
streetlegal
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottTurbo
Did I understand that video to say you have to put the car in park to use the home link, please tell me that is wrong?
That's what I figured out (first-time Porsche owner) you have to do when backing out of the garage. Otherwise, the back-up camera stays displayed until you're likely out of range of the Homelink. So, I just backup until I'm clear of the garage, go into Park and the Homelink button displays immediately. Not ideal, but it's not a daily for me, so I guess I can live with it. But, it always (in all of my 285 miles thus far) presents the button reliably at the gate entrance to our street and at the garage entrance to our home.
Old 03-24-2021, 11:04 AM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

I back out of the garage, then hit the X in the top left corner to exit the backup camera. I have homelink programmed on my hot button on the steering wheel, hit that button and it pops up.
Old 03-24-2021, 11:37 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 258 Posts

I back out of the garage, then hit the X in the top left corner to exit the backup camera. I have homelink programmed on my hot button on the steering wheel, hit that button and it pops up.
I programmed mine the same, however from the garage the delay waiting for the PCM to boot up before the button becomes functional is a PITA.
The following 2 users liked this post by NVRANUF:
hcvone (03-24-2021), mortgagebruce (02-20-2022)
Old 03-24-2021, 11:47 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 753 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
I programmed mine the same, however from the garage the delay waiting for the PCM to boot up before the button becomes functional is a PITA.
more than a PITA, IT'S BEYOND STUPID, why do you make something work worse than it did on the 991's
The following 2 users liked this post by hcvone:
mortgagebruce (02-20-2022), NVRANUF (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 12:29 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Homelink was so simple in my 991s, but I didn't even bother to set up homelink in the 992.
I just clipped the garage door opener on the visor. One press to open, one press to close.
The button is always right there regardless of what's showing on the PCM when leave or when I get back home.
No home screen widget, no bootup delays, no competition with the camera.

If I could only get a clip-on button for auto stop/start I'd be all set.
The following users liked this post:
Steve 96C4S (03-30-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 12:36 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by hcvone
more than a PITA, IT'S BEYOND STUPID, why do you make something work worse than it did on the 991's
Yes, 100% beyond stupid! I was just being polite. It's a Canadian thing.
hcvone (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 12:39 PM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by digits
Homelink was so simple in my 991s, but I didn't even bother to set up homelink in the 992.
I just clipped the garage door opener on the visor. One press to open, one press to close.
The button is always right there regardless of what's showing on the PCM when leave or when I get back home.

Easy fix for auto stop/start go to Sport mode everytime you drive the car, cancels stop/start.
Steve 96C4S (03-30-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 02:18 PM
RCorsa
Pro

Received 436 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by digits

amen. Same here. Those are 2/4 annoyances coming from a 991.2 to a 992. The third is the issue with trickle chargingand the lack of a spoiler button. Don’t even get me started on those ones
Old 03-24-2021, 03:46 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Easy fix for auto stop/start go to Sport mode everytime you drive the car, cancels stop/start.
I avoid sport mode until the oil is nice and warm because I want those early upshifts in normal mode. I do hit quite a few stop signs between cold start and ready-for-sport-mode that can trigger auto stop/start - but I guess I could setup Individual mode to just disable stop/start and it'd work as you suggest. Or, of course, I could use sport mode and just watch the revs/manual shift. After two prior 991s I guess I just have some habits formed from when I had a physical stop/start button - but it's never too late to change 'em.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:29 PM
Razzou
AutoX

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts

I had no problem programing the homelink but it will only pop up on the screen 1 out of 10 when i am leaving or carriving to the house. I programed the diamond button on the left side of the steering wheel to connect homelink. Just push it if you don't see it on the screen.
The following 2 users liked this post by Razzou:
hcvone (03-25-2021), mortgagebruce (02-20-2022)

Quick Reply: How to program homelink