Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 09:05 AM
Joan Alcover
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by JuanilloTurboS
Well after driving it most of the day Sunday, the check engine light went away. Hooked up the Porsche trickle charger, seems to get disconnected, has anyone tried using the mode button to wake up the battery?
You have to keep it pressed to 10 seconds at least.

Having said that, please note the following (from a post by Nothingtoc):

In order to use the passenger socket charger, you need to follow the below procedure. The car has a lockout timer that shuts off the charger socket after 20 minutes or so. I know the CTEK charger gives a flashing green light whenever the battery is no longer detected.

1) Ignition key to off position, charger unplugged from wall.
2) Plug charger into charger socket located in passenger side.
3) Turn ignition key to 'on' position. Key must be in the car when turning the ignition to the on position. Do not stand outside the car with the key in your pocket. Otherwise turning the key attached to the car has no effect.
4) Plug charger into A/C outlet.
5) Turn off ignition AFTER 1 to 2 minutes. Charge shutoff circuit will be disabled and charger will work fine.

The above procedure allows the 992 to recognize the charger and will disable the power socket timeout.

Last edited by Joan Alcover; 03-29-2021 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:09 AM
JuanilloTurboS
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

Joan... Thank you!
Old 03-29-2021, 10:31 AM
Joan Alcover
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by JuanilloTurboS
Joan... Thank you!
BMG / NHDQ
Be My Guest / No Hay De Que.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:04 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Joan Alcover
You have to keep it pressed to 10 seconds at least.

Having said that, please note the following (from a post by Nothingtoc):

In order to use the passenger socket charger, you need to follow the below procedure. The car has a lockout timer that shuts off the charger socket after 20 minutes or so. I know the CTEK charger gives a flashing green light whenever the battery is no longer detected.

1) Ignition key to off position, charger unplugged from wall.
2) Plug charger into charger socket located in passenger side.
3) Turn ignition key to 'on' position. Key must be in the car when turning the ignition to the on position. Do not stand outside the car with the key in your pocket. Otherwise turning the key attached to the car has no effect.
4) Plug charger into A/C outlet.
5) Turn off ignition AFTER 1 to 2 minutes. Charge shutoff circuit will be disabled and charger will work fine.

The above procedure allows the 992 to recognize the charger and will disable the power socket timeout.
I had trouble with my Porsche Charge-o-mat pro disconnecting (it was plugged in to the passenger footwell) and I just resorted to driving the car around to keep the battery charged. Hey - it was great excuse to drive it!

I had also ordered a CTEK Lithium US charger thinking that I'd just connect it directly to the terminals, but yesterday I tried it for the first time plugged into the 12v footwell socket (I had the sold-separately 12v socket adapter) and I followed the instructions above. It worked!

I'm guessing the that trick is leaving the accessories on for a couple minutes before turning off the car and locking the door - maybe the chargers go through an initial sequence to monitor the battery capacity and if you turn off accessory power too soon the car hasn't seen the charger actually begin charging (just a guess) and then the car winds up disconnecting the footwell socket.

I'll try my Porsche-branded charger again in the footwell socket but this time I'll follow those instructions to see if it also works and report back.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:22 PM
JuanilloTurboS
Advanced

Follow the steps outlined from Joans post.... so far so good. Just got home , same as when I left.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:49 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by digits
I'll try my Porsche-branded charger again in the footwell socket but this time I'll follow those instructions to see if it also works and report back.
I followed the above procedure with the Porsche charge-o-mat pro in Li-Ion mode and checked back after about 30 minutes to find that the charger had turned itself off just like before. I guess I could try again and perhaps NOT lock the car but... nah. I'll just stick with the CTEK Lithium US since, for me, it works in the footwell socket.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:34 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

I tried all the tricks I found posted here, and couldn't get the cigarette socket to stay active. Maybe with more patience and effort, I could find just the right sequence, but it already felt like more effort than can be reasonably expected, so I ordered the battery clamps and just use them if the car is going to sit a while. On my other cars, I added wires to the power posts and have the connector poke up at the base of the windshield. If I get to the point where I need to trickle charge this car routinely, I'll just do that.
Old 03-30-2021, 11:26 AM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Received 336 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
I tried all the tricks I found posted here, and couldn't get the cigarette socket to stay active. Maybe with more patience and effort, I could find just the right sequence, but it already felt like more effort than can be reasonably expected, so I ordered the battery clamps and just use them if the car is going to sit a while. On my other cars, I added wires to the power posts and have the connector poke up at the base of the windshield. If I get to the point where I need to trickle charge this car routinely, I'll just do that.
Without a doubt, pop the hood and plug it in or use the clamps - easy as pie

If you're lucky you'll find a Battery Tender at Costco for $49 LifePo4 4.5amp - otherwise its typically $79 for the LifePo4 4amp direct from Deltran

​​​​​​​​​​​​https://www.batterytender.com/Batter...-12V-4A-Select
Old 04-02-2021, 03:03 AM
motown
Racer

Received 261 Likes on 96 Posts

Even though I charged my battery full the low battery notification wouldn't clear so I service it. They could clear it either. They ordered a new battery since the electronics sending the message is part of the battery now.

He said it is a 3,400 battery so glad warranty is covering it.

What a deal.... note to self... don't fiddle in a non running car setting your car personalizing it for 45 minutes.
Old 04-02-2021, 02:19 PM
JuanilloTurboS
Advanced

Originally Posted by motown
Even though I charged my battery full the low battery notification wouldn't clear so I service it. They could clear it either. They ordered a new battery since the electronics sending the message is part of the battery now.

He said it is a 3,400 battery so glad warranty is covering it.

What a deal.... note to self... don't fiddle in a non running car setting your car personalizing it for 45 minutes.

$3400.00 for a battery???😳😳😳😳
Old 04-02-2021, 03:11 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by motown
He said it is a 3,400 battery . . .
Note to self: When purchasing a 911 DO NOT get any configuration that requires the Li Battery! That is just stupid money. For what benefit?

Quick Reply: Battery