Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 01:42 PM
JuanilloTurboS
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Battery

So after being apart for one full week without movement I go to start it this morning battery’s dead. Does have the key fob in the car affect battery drainage?
It sat for 6 days.

Last edited by JuanilloTurboS; 03-27-2021 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 02:26 PM
ER911S
Pro

Received 222 Likes on 132 Posts

Yikes, this makes no sense and I don't think it's normal. I hope others chime in but I hope it's a simple fix.
Old 03-27-2021, 02:39 PM
JeanLouis33
Racer

Received 328 Likes on 91 Posts

This is incomprehensible, unless something did remain on... I am irritated by the fact that every time you walk past it, it unlocks all by itself. I never left the key inside the car, so I have no experience of
this problem, but these cars ar NEW ! So are their batteries... it seems very unlikely that it emptied itself in such a short time, unless something was turned on, somewhere. The guarantee is running, call
the Porsche Centre so they come and collect it !
Old 03-27-2021, 02:47 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Sorry about that! I went through this with my car after getting PPF done. These cars have a lithium battery with a low-power shut off function. When the power drops below a certain level, the battery essentially disconnects itself from the car, so that you get zero power. The good news is that the battery isn't really dead. It just needs to be turned back on (for lack of better explanation) and it should still have enough juice to start the car and get recharged by the charging system.

In my case, the front trunk was locked shut, so I couldn't even get to the battery. If that's your situation, you'll need to pull the fuse box cover off in the driver footwell and look for the red trunk-opening jumper. You need to pull that jumper out (all the way!) and then apply 12v to that jumper and ground to the door latch or other clean chassis ground. You can use a charger or jumper cables from another car. If using a charger, just be sure it is set to deliver 12 volts whether or not it detects a battery. Many of the new smart chargers won't deliver power if they don't detect a battery, which they won't if the battery has shut itself off. Some chargers claim to have a mode for that, but I had no luck using them and instead used an old fashion always-on 12 volt battery charger. Once the trunk is open, you can remove the black plastic cover (no tools, just pull) at the back of the trunk, then apply 12 v to the positive battery posts and ground to the special ground post to the right of the battery. The battery should click back on within a few short minutes. Once it does, you can start the car and drive it around to charge it up. Hope that helps.

Of course, you can also call for roadside assistance and/or your dealer, especially if the car continues to die after 6 days. That's too short. But... in my case, the battery shut off after 4 day, I believe because the PPF guy had the key in his pocket and was constantly waking up the car (unintentionally) and draining power.
Old 03-27-2021, 02:49 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JeanLouis33
I am irritated by the fact that every time you walk past it, it unlocks all by itself.
Bingo! I keep meaning to look to see if there is a way to turn that off? But, at least in my case, I'm fairly certain this was why my battery got low enough to shut off.
Old 03-27-2021, 03:17 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

I hope it ain't so, but you may also find that even after getting the car jump started you could get a low battery warning that won't clear even after everything has been recharged. So far, I know of two of us (who lack the equipment to clear codes) have had to take cars to the dealer to get the low battery warning to go away. Porsche seems to have some 992 bugs that they need to work out.
The following users liked this post:
JuanilloTurboS (03-27-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 04:13 PM
JuanilloTurboS
Advanced

Great info guys!
Had to leave to a class in a rush early this am, was really bummed about not getting to drive it today. Actually sitting in class now LOL!
Guess ill call road side assist on the way home so I can meet-em ther.
Monday il lask service advisor if leaving key in car has anything todo with it.
Im guessing it does ifit keeps looking or waking the car up since its within range.
Old 03-27-2021, 05:31 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,482 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by JuanilloTurboS
So after being apart for one full week without movement I go to start it this morning battery’s dead. Does have the key fob in the car affect battery drainage?
It sat for 6 days.
I think you draw the lowest current by fully locking the car and key fob out of the car (obviously if you lock it).
Old 03-28-2021, 01:38 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 637 Posts

Make sure you keep your battery jumpers (i have a NOCO boost plus GB40) tucked behind your rear back seat...!

You will be able to get in manually with your key and save you from not having cables to jump the fuse box to open the trunk.

Last edited by Pad Bender; 03-28-2021 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-28-2021, 01:42 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pad Bender
Make sure you keep your battery jumpers (i have a NOCO boost plus GB40) tucked behind your rear back seat...!

You will be able to get in manually with your key and save you from not having cables to jump the fuse box to open the trunk.
How do you get into the trunk manually with the key?
Old 03-28-2021, 01:45 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
How do you get into the trunk manually with the key?
Just the door manually....if you have the jumper in trunk you are pooched.

Apparently...you can get into the trunk manually but the release is under the passenger side front wheel liner.
Old 03-28-2021, 01:59 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pad Bender
Just the door manually....if you have the jumper in trunk you are pooched.

Apparently...you can get into the trunk manually but the release is under the passenger side front wheel liner.
Thanks and understood. But once you get into the car, there's no way to open the trunk and get to the battery without the jumper in the fuse box, since the battery is shut off and essentially disconnected from the cigarette lighter. Right? That's what my owners manual seems to suggest, and certainly consistent with all my floundering when my battery shut down...? Did I miss a trick?

Edit: maybe I misread your earlier post. I think you are saying to keep the charger inside the car so that you can use it on the fuse-box jumper to open the trunk. If so, good advice.
Old 03-28-2021, 02:04 PM
JuanilloTurboS
Advanced

Had to jump the frunk through driver side access, switch wouldnt work needed to use key fob. Was able to jump start battery after that.

Did leave check engine light on tho,

Any way to pull up on PCM to see what that is? Gave up looking this am.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:56 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Thanks and understood. But once you get into the car, there's no way to open the trunk and get to the battery without the jumper in the fuse box, since the battery is shut off and essentially disconnected from the cigarette lighter. Right? That's what my owners manual seems to suggest, and certainly consistent with all my floundering when my battery shut down...? Did I miss a trick?

Edit: maybe I misread your earlier post. I think you are saying to keep the charger inside the car so that you can use it on the fuse-box jumper to open the trunk. If so, good advice.
Exactly...keep the charger in the cabin and not in the trunk. I have a NOCO GB40 tucked behind the back seats (near rear windshield) so it does not get thrown around or zap a passenger...
NOCO units worked for my buddy in getting the trunk to release via fuse charge and then car to start via trunk access.

Huge PITA for a battery that is turning out to be temperamental.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:40 AM
JuanilloTurboS
Advanced

Well after driving it most of the day Sunday, the check engine light went away. Hooked up the Porsche trickle charger, seems to get disconnected, has anyone tried using the mode button to wake up the battery?

Quick Reply: Battery