Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

992 TTS 1st to 2nd manual upshift fail

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2023, 12:15 AM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Are 992 TTS Owners Seeing Missed 1-2 Shifts In Auto Mode?

Originally Posted by chance6
Mine is a 2022...it did it maybe 3-4 times in normal mode and once in Sport mode, but that was in like October. Since then, I've had no issues. Damn thing is an absolute beast ...I was on I-88 tonight and the damn thing simply WALKS away from other cars with a simple jab of the throttle. And I'm still in Break-in btw. < 4200 rpm.
Mine is a 2021 with just over 2,000 miles. @chance6 : do you recall if your missed 1-2 shifts were in auto Normal and Sport modes or with the manual button pushed and shifting only with paddles. I drive so little in auto mode that I am wondering if it occurs then, as well. And, of course, my favorite mode is Beast Mode. I did a Porsche Club run on SoCal roads leading up to Mt. Baldy - lots of hairpins, esses and off-camber turns. I was so busy steering, I ran in auto (Sport+) with PDCC on and the car was amazing. I also drove a 992 TTS at the LA PEC and the on-track performance there was unbelievable.
Old 02-17-2023, 02:33 PM
rustyk
Advanced

Received 71 Likes on 29 Posts

Mine is a 2022, Feb build.

This does not happen when in Sport+…. Just normal and Sport.
Old 02-17-2023, 11:41 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,481 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by AtTheGlen
Mine is a 2021 with just over 2,000 miles. @chance6 : do you recall if your missed 1-2 shifts were in auto Normal and Sport modes or with the manual button pushed and shifting only with paddles. I drive so little in auto mode that I am wondering if it occurs then, as well. And, of course, my favorite mode is Beast Mode. I did a Porsche Club run on SoCal roads leading up to Mt. Baldy - lots of hairpins, esses and off-camber turns. I was so busy steering, I ran in auto (Sport+) with PDCC on and the car was amazing. I also drove a 992 TTS at the LA PEC and the on-track performance there was unbelievable.
Mine were only in Manual mode w/ paddle shifting. Car in automatic mode never missed any shifts. Just follows normal programming. It was paddle shifting in manual mode when engine was cold. I'm wondering if these are all low-mileage cars where this is happening / car in auto mode hasn't enough time to learn driving style / may be getting confused in manual, who knows.
Old 02-18-2023, 08:12 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,217 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by chance6
Mine were only in Manual mode w/ paddle shifting. Car in automatic mode never missed any shifts. Just follows normal programming. It was paddle shifting in manual mode when engine was cold. I'm wondering if these are all low-mileage cars where this is happening / car in auto mode hasn't enough time to learn driving style / may be getting confused in manual, who knows.
My car has 26,000km (16,000 miles) and still occasionally does this. I don’t see how it can be related to the PDK “learning the driving style” because there is nothing for it to “learn” on a 1-2 manually induced upshift.
Old 02-18-2023, 10:57 AM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 637 Posts

28,000 km and it will still happen on occasion. This is a programming issue.

Hoping it will be addressed with M-E PDK mapping.
Old 02-18-2023, 07:12 PM
chance6
Race Car

Okay then obviously software— I bet it will be fixed by 992.2, of course.

I will say though that my PDK has dramatically improved over the last 500-600 miles. Not sure why?
Old 02-18-2023, 07:13 PM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
My car has 26,000km (16,000 miles) and still occasionally does this. I don’t see how it can be related to the PDK “learning the driving style” because there is nothing for it to “learn” on a 1-2 manually induced upshift.
Well it is the same transmission after all, and maybe there is some unknown relationship… it’s not obvious of course. To me it’s likely just software / mapping.
Old 04-17-2023, 03:20 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Any updates on this? I just took my TTS in for service (haven't been driving it at all lately) and it refused to shift into 2nd gear normally on every attempt for the first 15 minutes of the drive. It felt like it fixed itself once everything was fully at operating temp (ie: i went on a freeway, over a bridge, then got off back onto side streets and traffic and it shifted fine). I mentioned it to the service advisor when I dropped it off and then I went with one of the mechanics to try to replicate it (which didn't happen of course since it was fully up to temp).

They're applying 2 recalls / software updates but neither sounded like it would do anything with the PDK.

Hope they can replicate it when it cools down or the software updates "fix" it. Drives me bonkers.

-mike
Old 04-17-2023, 03:37 PM
petermcm
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Mike
no never got to the bottom of it.
I can replicate it pretty much anytime I want. Porsche won’t do anything about it. The mechanic at my dealership also replicated the issue. Porsche just said it’s normal. That is bull ****.
I have got use to it and never use manual 1st to 2nd or if I do I know how to to make sure it shifts.

i have to say whilst it irritates me I absolutely love the car. In fact I have a new one ordered for July delivery.

sorry I can help further

peter
Old 04-17-2023, 05:21 PM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Finally an SA’s acknowledgement

Good that we are keeping this thread alive. A couple weeks ago, I asked a local service advisor if he had heard about this issue, and he said: “Yes, and maybe Porsche will do a software update for it.” I appreciated his honesty but, looking back, I think his comment about a software fix was not based on any official word but spoken in the same sense as many of us on the forum have optimistically stated.

I wonder, too, if the conversion from a 7-spd PDK to an 8-spd version for better mileage involved shortcuts on the mechanical redesign and/or the software programming to increase speed to market. I drive my Turbo S with paddles about 98% of the time, but suspect that there are a lot of drivers who hardly used the paddles, or when they do, it is for short durations after the car is warmed up. (I, too, have fewer failed shifts when the car is warmed up.) Accordingly, because there are not many reports, and it is not a safety issue in their eyes, Porsche might believe that they can ignore it. I provided detailed information to a customer support person at PCNA and never had a response even after following up. I will send my email message string to his attention again today with a cover note and also ask that it be forwarded to a manager.

I had always thought that I would not want to sell or trade in the car without disclosing the 1-2 shift issue, but the more I drive it, the more I think I’ll want to keep it beyond lease end, which means I’ll be the one living with the issue until it is fixed.
Old 05-15-2023, 06:32 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Just an update:

Porsche Fremont had my car for 3 weeks looking into the shifting issue and a couple interior rattles (very nice experience with them by the way, I wasn't in a rush to get my car back which is why they had it so long). I went out on a test drive after dropping it off w/ one of the mechanics and told them it probably wouldn't do it now since it was up to operating temp and he said he'd take it out the next morning to try and re-create the shifting issue. Sure enough, he was able to replicate it the next morning when it was cold. They told me there was a couple software updates for the car available when I dropped it off, but they held off on updating them until they replicated the shifting issue. Once they verified it, they reprogrammed the selector lever control unit and connect control unit. Neither of those fixed the cold shifting and they spent a week or so going back and forth with people in Germany about it -- they said the folks in Germany were aware of the issue and working on a fix. In my paperwork it says "UPDATE FOR PDK CONTROL UNIT SOFTWARE COMING OUT SOON." and they would contact me when it's available.

As annoying as the shifting is to me on such a nice car, compared to the (lack of) service from the local Dodge RAM dealer on my TRX, I'm happy they're at least acknowledging and working on it.

I'll post an update here once they notify me the PDK update's available and after it's installed to see if that fixes the problem.

-mike
The following 7 users liked this post by fleadh:
AtTheGlen (05-15-2023), CanAutM3 (05-16-2023), chance6 (05-15-2023), Mcx (05-17-2023), r00t61 (05-16-2023), turbonator (05-15-2023), zerix (05-16-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-16-2023, 03:52 AM
petermcm
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is the first time ever they have admitted there is an issue. Look forward to seeing the fix

thanks for your post
peter
Old 05-19-2023, 09:38 AM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Received 336 Likes on 197 Posts

i've had the same shifting issue - it was random, and inconsistent - they were unable to duplicate it, but the dealer did all the required updates at the time, mid-year 2021 - i'd say its rare when it happens these days and doesn't trouble me as after the one time it occurs it doesn't reappear (until the next rare occasion) - good to hear there may be an official update coming regarding the specific issue - i'll be sure to ask about it
Old 05-20-2023, 06:26 PM
SWxSec
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I’ve had all the software and PDK updates. Still can happen in Sport manual mode from first to second, but only when turning. What I’ve been told is that steering angle has everything to do with it. PDK will prevent an early up shift with sufficient throttle plus sufficient steering angle. To complete an up shift from 1 to 2 with “enough” steering angle and throttle, essentially must ring it out to near redline then shift. Or, reduce throttle, or, reduce steering angle. With those conditions in mind, 1 to 2 up shifts are always predictable. I wish the car would allow short shifting with throttle and steering angle. I have only tested this a bunch in Sport Manual mode. I don’t drive much in Sport+, need to test that more.
Old 05-20-2023, 08:06 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by devsecflops
\What I’ve been told is that steering angle has everything to do with it.
Happens to me in normal driving modes and in a straight line.

Quick Reply: 992 TTS 1st to 2nd manual upshift fail