Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

992 TTS 1st to 2nd manual upshift fail

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2022, 01:52 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
When you guys say when car is cold, why are you trying to redline a car when its cold?

Also transmission fluid of cars usually take much longer to get up to temp than engine oil. You really should not redline a car for the first 10 miles of driving it (at least).
Has only happened to me when the car is cold. Had the issue on my 991.1 and 991.2 TTSs as well as on the 992.1. But it doesn't happen every time.
The following users liked this post:
chance6 (10-25-2022)
Old 10-23-2022, 04:15 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,559 Likes on 862 Posts

Maybe its the car protecting the itself?

I have never had this issue in my GT3RS in 11,000 miles but I know its a different transmission all together. TTS revs so quickly especially in 1st gear. Maybe there is a delay somewhere and because of quick revving, it gets denied.
Old 10-23-2022, 05:30 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
Maybe its the car protecting the itself?

I have never had this issue in my GT3RS in 11,000 miles but I know its a different transmission all together. TTS revs so quickly especially in 1st gear. Maybe there is a delay somewhere and because of quick revving, it gets denied.
Possibly. I baby the car until the oil temp is at 200...I'm most often in manual mode/sport and I don't recall it happening in any of the "auto" modes.
Old 10-24-2022, 12:50 AM
rustyk
Advanced

Received 71 Likes on 29 Posts

I only try when fully at temp…. Happens way too often….
Old 10-24-2022, 09:50 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Happens all the time for me with my 2021 TTS when leaving home (before everything is up to temp) -- I don't remember it happening once everything is up to temp. Just normal driving, not hard or even "spirited" but I always have the car in "Individual Mode" (auto-off disabled, loud exhaust, sport engine, comfort suspension) and in manual mode. I live at the top of a hill and coast all the way down to the neighborhood where there's a couple 90 degree left / right intersections with stop lights or stop signs. Always get the failed upshift to 2nd when driving normally while attempting to grab 2nd gear while still turning. Haven't done any scientific testing to see if it's related to turning but it doesn't seem to happen nearly as much when going straight -- maybe it's related to the computers seeing a really cold differential and wheel speed differences (inside vs outside) and rejecting the shift. If I leave it in automatic mode it'll still shift normally (while turning) when everything is cold.

Haven't had the car in for its first service yet as I haven't been driving it much, but I hope they figure out a fix for this. This annoys me almost as much as not being able to use the center console shifter as a poor mans sequential shifter around town when turning.... otherwise this car is simply f*cking amazing.

-mike
Old 10-24-2022, 11:43 PM
rustyk
Advanced

Received 71 Likes on 29 Posts

Well said - the car is simply F$ing amazing.
Old 10-25-2022, 12:33 AM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,481 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh
Happens all the time for me with my 2021 TTS when leaving home (before everything is up to temp) -- I don't remember it happening once everything is up to temp. Just normal driving, not hard or even "spirited" but I always have the car in "Individual Mode" (auto-off disabled, loud exhaust, sport engine, comfort suspension) and in manual mode. I live at the top of a hill and coast all the way down to the neighborhood where there's a couple 90 degree left / right intersections with stop lights or stop signs. Always get the failed upshift to 2nd when driving normally while attempting to grab 2nd gear while still turning. Haven't done any scientific testing to see if it's related to turning but it doesn't seem to happen nearly as much when going straight -- maybe it's related to the computers seeing a really cold differential and wheel speed differences (inside vs outside) and rejecting the shift. If I leave it in automatic mode it'll still shift normally (while turning) when everything is cold.

Haven't had the car in for its first service yet as I haven't been driving it much, but I hope they figure out a fix for this. This annoys me almost as much as not being able to use the center console shifter as a poor mans sequential shifter around town when turning.... otherwise this car is simply f*cking amazing.

-mike
+1 on this- It's happened to me a couple times when the car is cold, and when turning at low speed, like less than 1 mile from home.
Old 10-27-2022, 05:43 PM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 636 Posts

I thought this would have been fixed by now? Surprised to see it’s still ongoing and no TSB issued by Porsche.
Old 10-27-2022, 06:12 PM
xxxandy911xxx
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche probably don't even know there is a problem.. I was told it was my driving style after going out with technician.
Old 10-27-2022, 07:33 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xxxandy911xxx
Porsche probably don't even know there is a problem.. I was told it was my driving style after going out with technician.
But maybe it is.

Old 10-27-2022, 07:41 PM
xxxandy911xxx
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It probably is but does that make it ok?
Old 10-27-2022, 07:52 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xxxandy911xxx
It probably is but does that make it ok?
I was kidding
The following users liked this post:
xxxandy911xxx (10-31-2022)
Old 10-28-2022, 09:55 AM
Simon H
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RD16RR
Happened to me as well...was just in for service (3 week’s) (spoiler error issue) and had reported that I had PDK miss shifts (happened 2 or 3 times) from 1st to 2nd — after 2 or 3 attempts to engage 2nd gear, then lifting off the throttle slightly to allow the rpms to drop, 2nd gear would engage (I can’t say that when the rpm’s dropped is what allowed it to shift, only that when they did drop, 2nd gear engaged)— service dept only checked to see if any PDK error message was recorded, and found that there wasn’t, so no action could be taken

My car was delivered December 22, 2020 and had a PDK update done during the Predelivery Inspection

If it happens even once, the best thing to happen is to report it either when the car goes in for service or simoly call in and have the service manager record it on your file at the same time they would typically check with the Factory Technical Dept
Good afternoon Sir, what was the spoiler issue , and did you get it fixed ?. Just picked up my brand new TTS, and got a spoiler malfunction message in less than a mile after leaving dealership,
Old 10-28-2022, 05:01 PM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 90 Posts
Default 1-2 Upshift Fail: manual? PDK? Normal? Sport/S+?

Even after my one-year maintenance with an software flash, I am still seeing occasional 1-2 missed shifts in manual mode in both Normal and Sport. It occurs when the car is cold and the last thing I want to do is pull 4,000-5,000 RPM when the engine is cold. I cannot recall if I have seen this problem in auto mode as I usually drive in manual mode. I am going to ask my Service Advisor, who is responsive, to probe more deeply into this with Porsche NA.

I wonder if there are weaknesses in the 8-speed design because it was rushed into production to improve mileage (which is remarkable at steady highway speeds). I cannot believe that Porsche is unaware of this, which could suggest that any fix is more than a software flash and that an effective fix could involve a transmission tear-down. I never had this problem in three previous 7-speed PDKs. That said, there was one report on the GT3 forum about a missed 1-2 shift, which would have been the 7-speed PDK. I will see if that thread is still active.
Old 10-28-2022, 07:39 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by AtTheGlen
Even after my one-year maintenance with an software flash, I am still seeing occasional 1-2 missed shifts in manual mode in both Normal and Sport. It occurs when the car is cold and the last thing I want to do is pull 4,000-5,000 RPM when the engine is cold. I cannot recall if I have seen this problem in auto mode as I usually drive in manual mode. I am going to ask my Service Advisor, who is responsive, to probe more deeply into this with Porsche NA.

I wonder if there are weaknesses in the 8-speed design because it was rushed into production to improve mileage (which is remarkable at steady highway speeds). I cannot believe that Porsche is unaware of this, which could suggest that any fix is more than a software flash and that an effective fix could involve a transmission tear-down. I never had this problem in three previous 7-speed PDKs. That said, there was one report on the GT3 forum about a missed 1-2 shift, which would have been the 7-speed PDK. I will see if that thread is still active.
unfortunately sometimes there is no flash solution, even if manufacturer tries several….certain years will be effected until they change ECU entirely….

Quick Reply: 992 TTS 1st to 2nd manual upshift fail