Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

GT3T to TTS

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2023, 09:19 AM
EsqHTX
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GT3T to TTS

Got an opportunity to trade in my GT for a 23 TTS PTS riviera blue and a guaranteed RS allocation…will be losing money on trade due to ADM and paying a small 10k ADM on TTS. Anyone here switch from gt3 to TTS? I will not be DD this car and really just waiting on RS. Other option is keep the gt and just wait and see what the market looks like in a year or so
Old 04-03-2023, 09:45 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,559 Likes on 862 Posts

Originally Posted by EsqHTX
Got an opportunity to trade in my GT for a 23 TTS PTS riviera blue and a guaranteed RS allocation…will be losing money on trade due to ADM and paying a small 10k ADM on TTS. Anyone here switch from gt3 to TTS? I will not be DD this car and really just waiting on RS. Other option is keep the gt and just wait and see what the market looks like in a year or so
You should keep the GT3 and not trade to TTS. Its a very underwhelming car in the sound and drive department unless you are pushing it. I have a GT3RS and a 2023 TTS and I am selling my TTS. Of all the cars I have ever bought in my entire life, the one I have decided to sell quickest is TTS. Its an extremely fast car and has that party trick (launch control). Everyone should experience that but its not a car thats eventful. If you are cash rich and looking for a truly daily driver car, then get the TTS. It will do that so well. But if your sports cars are weekend/fun/toy cars (it is the case for me), this is a really different car.

On a side note, the 992 engine sounds like ****. GT3 is an exception (but even 992 GT3 engine doesnt sound as metallic/raw as the 991). The turbo chargers really kill the sound and you can absolutely tell from sound symphoser that fake engine noise is coming. I drove a 991.1 GTS recently and what a different car that is.

The N/A engines sound totally different. I think its just the way flat six engine is when you turbo charge it the sound is crap. Its not the case (as bad) in V8s.
The following users liked this post:
Tupper (04-04-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 09:48 AM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 112 Posts
Default TTS

Originally Posted by EsqHTX
- Don't @Me but I own both a 992 GT3 and the 992 TTS
- Both are amazing - but different in their own way
- the 992 GT3 is way more agile / lighter / obvious turn in is better
- the 992 TTS is more powerful and an easy DD car
- the new 992 TTS has more "GT-car / Flacht attributes" than prior TTS. A good thing in my book. For some guys, they still think the TTS is too soft. I disagree (esp vs. the prior Turbo S) but we can agree to disagree.
- the TTS is firmer (I have S-PASM) and can definitely hold it's own on the track. The CarWow guy below set better times at Spa in the TTS b/c (1) it is a bigger track with more straights (2) He is not a good enough driver to get the most of the turns in a GT3.
If you are getting a new GT3RS - and add a 992 TTS - that's a pairing that's hard to beat for both track and street.

I'm not a huge fan of this YouTube (CarWow) guy but this video is pretty accurate:

Good luck.

Last edited by SB27; 04-03-2023 at 09:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
stetty (04-03-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 10:25 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

The other thing to mention about TTS is the high speed acceleration is nowhere near as the acceleration from a stand still. So the impact of AWD really shows here. If you are in 3rd gear, 3,000 rpm and go WOT, you are not pushed back into your seat anywhere near to your expectations after doing the same in 1st or 2nd gear. That's why most people tune these cars because at the end of the day, it's only 640 hp and the car is almost 3,700 lbs (the way most people spec it). Its 60-130 time is usually 6.8-7.2 seconds depending on the weather. It's fast but its not Mclaren 720S fast (which you could buy if you factory in the 2024 TTS prices, they arent that far off). Mclaren will be 1 to 1.2 seconds faster in 60-130 and thats a drastic difference.

AWD is a lot of fun but in some respect its no fun. Its fun that you giggle how the car just shoots off like maverick on the catapult launch, but its no fun that it's so easy and anyone including my 80 year old father can do it. It requires no skill, nothing ever can go wrong and frankly the car not sounding good at all makes it a tough pill to swallow. Because you tell yourself why not get a Tesla? Or Taycan Turbo S? Because the characteristics of a 911 (raw, mechanical, atmospheric engine) dont really apply to TTS. And then there is the money in that it costs over quarter of a million and in 3 years you will take a nice $75,000 bath on it when you want to sell it.
Old 04-03-2023, 11:47 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,170 Likes on 575 Posts

Its ironic that Porsche has done such a good job making 650 hp safe that its now "boring" and a fault. Ask Paul Walker if "boring" is a bad thing in a 650 hp car lol
The following 2 users liked this post by eclou:
Calbenzo (04-03-2023), SB27 (04-03-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 11:49 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eclou
Its ironic that Porsche has done such a good job making 650 hp safe that its now "boring" and a fault. Ask Paul Walker if "boring" is a bad thing in a 650 hp car lol
But thats the problem with TTS. For it to be not be boring, you have to go very fast. I find my GT3RS not boring down shifting even from 3000 to 2000 rpm going 35 mph.
Old 04-03-2023, 11:55 AM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 155 Posts

$2K/month over 3 years to own a top dog DD seems like a pretty good deal to me….

I’d argue GT3 vs Turbo debate really comes down to use case. One is a track car that can be driven on street. The other is a GT that can be driven on track.

Neither is really all that “raw” if you’ve spent any time behind the seat of an actual race car or even a well sorted classic. It’s like debating if ribbed or studded condoms are better. Both are pretty numb in comparison.
The following 3 users liked this post by wintershade:
Carcam (04-05-2023), eclou (04-03-2023), fstockcarrera (04-03-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 11:57 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,170 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
But thats the problem with TTS. For it to be not be boring, you have to go very fast. I find my GT3RS not boring down shifting even from 3000 to 2000 rpm going 35 mph.
Not disagreeing with you. But the bones are there. Some suspension bits, track alignment, exhaust and tune will give you 99% of what will be the GT2/RS for less than half the price. This boring girl can put on lingerie if you coax her lol
The following 2 users liked this post by eclou:
Angryinch (04-04-2023), SB27 (04-03-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 11:59 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eclou
Not disagreeing with you. But the bones are there. Some suspension bits, track alignment, exhaust and tune will give you 99% of what will be the GT2/RS for less than half the price. This boring girl can put on lingerie if you coax her lol
This is a very heavy car (relatively speaking). You can absolutely tell the weight going in corners and I have a very light TTS with lightweight package, bucket seats, no sunroof. My car weighs 3550 lbs or so and on the same roads the difference between my 3200 lbs GT3RS and this car is night and day. I had a C7 ZR1 and while that car was fast also, I could absolutely tell the weight (similar weight to TTS). You cant really cheat physics.
Old 04-03-2023, 12:32 PM
stetty
Advanced

Received 146 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
You should keep the GT3 and not trade to TTS. Its a very underwhelming car in the sound and drive department unless you are pushing it. I have a GT3RS and a 2023 TTS and I am selling my TTS. Of all the cars I have ever bought in my entire life, the one I have decided to sell quickest is TTS. Its an extremely fast car and has that party trick (launch control). Everyone should experience that but its not a car thats eventful. If you are cash rich and looking for a truly daily driver car, then get the TTS. It will do that so well. But if your sports cars are weekend/fun/toy cars (it is the case for me), this is a really different car.

On a side note, the 992 engine sounds like ****. GT3 is an exception (but even 992 GT3 engine doesnt sound as metallic/raw as the 991). The turbo chargers really kill the sound and you can absolutely tell from sound symphoser that fake engine noise is coming. I drove a 991.1 GTS recently and what a different car that is.

The N/A engines sound totally different. I think its just the way flat six engine is when you turbo charge it the sound is crap. Its not the case (as bad) in V8s.
first for the original post: I have a 991.2 GT3 and a 992 TTS. They are both insanely good cars that when pushed in excel in different ways. Depends how you will use them.

Regarding post above: with very minor modifications the 992 TTS is a f-ing monster. And it gives you all the sounds of the raw angry powerful machine with just a simple exhaust change. From the factory it sounds like a timid wimp. But if you open the pipes…cover your ears and hide your kids. The sounds are intoxicating. I have Dundon full loud (headers and all) on my GT3. I have Fabspeed GT2RS system on my TTS. The turbos whistle and spool up/down and the engine barks, pops and screams. You feel the sounds deep in places you didn’t know you had. It’s a shame people don’t recognize how raw the 992 TTS can be. I agree with the post that says it’s the closest non GT car to a GT car. I did springs, wheels and full exhaust and the car is nasty. Fast and comfortable on the freeway and just stupid fun when you turn that dial to sport, firm up the suspension and drive it hard. Do NOT underestimate the potential for a GT like visceral experience. I’ve tracked my GT3 since 2018 and while the Turbo S will never feel as raw or connected, I’d bet that the clock won’t be very different if I took the tts to the track. It’s a monster dressed like a refined lady. And it will f you up if you underestimate it. Wake her up with some exhaust and springs and the TTS is one of the more “connected to your senses” drives you can park in your garage. If you’re fortunate enough to have a GT3/RS and a TTS, you really have the pinnacle street and track car (not race car) combinations available. They couldn’t be more different. Neither is easy to drive very fast on challenging roads/circuits but both are easy to go fast in. Skill and patience is rewarded in both cars. Both are AMAZING but again different. I should campaign for all of the TTS owners that like/enjoy GT cars to open the exhaust up. You have a beast. Take its muzzle off and let it scream.
The following 4 users liked this post by stetty:
eclou (04-03-2023), heshalosny (04-05-2023), Manifold (04-04-2023), SB27 (04-03-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 12:40 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stetty
first for the original post: I have a 991.2 GT3 and a 992 TTS. They are both insanely good cars that when pushed in excel in different ways. Depends how you will use them.

Regarding post above: with very minor modifications the 992 TTS is a f-ing monster. And it gives you all the sounds of the raw angry powerful machine with just a simple exhaust change. From the factory it sounds like a timid wimp. But if you open the pipes…cover your ears and hide your kids. The sounds are intoxicating. I have Dundon full loud (headers and all) on my GT3. I have Fabspeed GT2RS system on my TTS. The turbos whistle and spool up/down and the engine barks, pops and screams. You feel the sounds deep in places you didn’t know you had. It’s a shame people don’t recognize how raw the 992 TTS can be. I agree with the post that says it’s the closest non GT car to a GT car. I did springs, wheels and full exhaust and the car is nasty. Fast and comfortable on the freeway and just stupid fun when you turn that dial to sport, firm up the suspension and drive it hard. Do NOT underestimate the potential for a GT like visceral experience. I’ve tracked my GT3 since 2018 and while the Turbo S will never feel as raw or connected, I’d bet that the clock won’t be very different if I took the tts to the track. It’s a monster dressed like a refined lady. And it will f you up if you underestimate it. Wake her up with some exhaust and springs and the TTS is one of the more “connected to your senses” drives you can park in your garage. If you’re fortunate enough to have a GT3/RS and a TTS, you really have the pinnacle street and track car (not race car) combinations available. They couldn’t be more different. Neither is easy to drive very fast on challenging roads/circuits but both are easy to go fast in. Skill and patience is rewarded in both cars. Both are AMAZING but again different. I should campaign for all of the TTS owners that like/enjoy GT cars to open the exhaust up. You have a beast. Take its muzzle off and let it scream.
Which model year is your TTS? Because the one I have (2023), the exhaust is not an option without a tune. There is no proven CEL free exhaust upgrade. Changing just the center muffler makes a very little difference. CATs is a gamble of CEL vs no CEL in the newer cars.

The other problem with a louder exhaust is the backfires and burbles (or whatever they are called). Even in stock form they sound a bit obnoxious. So when you make the car loud, you get them loud too. There are JCR videos of TTS where the driver is 1/4 mile away and lets go off the throttle and you hear the fart sounds. Most non-car people will see that and think the car is broken.

A louder exhaust simply makes the factory sound louder. It cannot change the way the car sounds. And this is a subjective thing. When carwow free revs the TTS and jokes about it sounding like a vacuum cleaner, he is right. It sounds like a vacuum cleaner. So with a louder exhaust, you have a louder vacuum cleaner. It sounds nothing like a GT3 (any generation) and nothing like a naturally aspirated 991 GTS (non GT3). I think its just the way turbochargers impact this engine architecture because without turbo chargers the sound is very mechanical.

EDIT: Also the fake engine sound. This is very obvious and not good. My ears can absolutely tell there is fake engine sound. I understand its not a pre-recorded sound and comes directly from the engine bay but it comes synthetically and not organically.

Last edited by 3-Pedals; 04-03-2023 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-03-2023, 12:46 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 943 Likes on 569 Posts

Mannnnn you can't compare a GT3RS to a TTS lol. Track/street weapon vs daily driver. These are two different worlds.

3 Pedals, you bag on the TTS so much, I thought you'd have it sold by now?
The following 4 users liked this post by Angryinch:
Boucherom (04-03-2023), Carcam (04-05-2023), heshalosny (04-05-2023), MaxLTV (04-03-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 12:55 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Angryinch
Mannnnn you can't compare a GT3RS to a TTS lol. Track/street weapon vs daily driver. These are two different worlds.

3 Pedals, you bag on the TTS so much, I thought you'd have it sold by now?
I am certainly selling it but most likely trading it towards a manual GT3 rather than selling it to a private party. Not the right car for me. Not trying to bring people down here but I am most certainly not in the minority here and I am trying to help people not make the same mistake I made.

Bottom line is this.... If you are truly daily driving your sports car as in run errands, go to work, go to whole foods, school, etc and then you will park it in your garage and you have other "toys" then this is the right car. But if you are buying this as a sports car sports car as in toy/fun car, you want excitement and eventful driving in every drive, this is not the car unless you want to modify the car aggressively, full exhaust, tune, suspension and even then I'd argue it will never excite you like a GT3.

I dont daily drive "a" car. I take the train to work so that was my mistake. I wanted another sports car and this didnt fit my criteria. This is a car that was very similar to M5. Same kind of feel, very nice inside out, very comfortable, very fast but I never liked the M5 and always missed my E90 M3. I think I'd have more fun in the E90 M3 than I'd have in this car. You get my point. Everyone's use case is different.
Old 04-03-2023, 01:55 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 112 Posts
Default TTS Potential

I wasn't going to push back on some earlier comments but yet you can turn this thing into a monster for a lot less than a 765LT.

And, no, you don't need to risk CEL's or make your exhaust so loud you can hear it from the next county either.

M-Engineering has put together some pretty compelling TTS upgrades (including the new PDK upgrade that cuts 60-130 MPH time down dramatically). Combined, of you are a speed/performance Ho, you can get into 765 range pretty easily.

I like my Sport Exhaust just fine so I'm not going there. And that's before you get into all of the McLaren quality issues vs. Porsche (all my cars have been bullet proof....and I don't think it's just luck).
The following 5 users liked this post by SB27:
Billy Bluejay (04-08-2023), Boucherom (04-03-2023), eclou (04-03-2023), heshalosny (04-05-2023), MaxLTV (04-03-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 01:59 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 943 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by SB27
I wasn't going to push back on some earlier comments but yet you can turn this thing into a monster for a lot less than a 765LT.

And, no, you don't need to risk CEL's or make your exhaust so loud you can hear it from the next county either.

M-Engineering has put together some pretty compelling TTS upgrades (including the new PDK upgrade that cuts 60-130 MPH time down dramatically). Combined, of you are a speed/performance Ho, you can get into 765 range pretty easily.

I like my Sport Exhaust just fine so I'm not going there. And that's before you get into all of the McLaren quality issues vs. Porsche (all my cars have been bullet proof....and I don't think it's just luck).
Yes x 2. This is very true. I have the stage4 M package here, the TTS should be a mid 9 second reliable street car once this is all done and sorted. Some are not into the mod game though. But even a tune and good exhaust is very helpful.

Quick Reply: GT3T to TTS