Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Leaking oil pan - Day 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2023, 04:20 AM
Lofvis
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Leaking oil pan - Day 1

Recently took delivery of my car and it haven't started out all to great.

Picked it up Friday 2nd June in the afternoon, had a good long drive home and got everything up to a nice temperature etc, parked the car and came out the next morning to this:

Condensation water it has been hot... took the car for a second drive came back, still haven't dried up.. weird
Next day even big pool of "water" what a heck is going on.. touched it and wtf! it's oil ! drove straight to PC and asked them to have a look, "we have a time available next week but just drivit as normal until then"
Didn't drive it all to much that week but I did get the "low level alarm" just the day before I was booked for check up now they had a look and apparently the oil pan is leaking, seems to be like that from factory and now I need to wait another 14 days since that is the earliest time available to fix it.

The following users liked this post:
turbanator911 (10-04-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 08:38 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 753 Likes on 474 Posts

Weird, one of the bolts looks like it has corrorsion on it, and why didn't it leak on the way over or at the dealership, of course our pans are a plastic material as well as the drain plug. They told you to drive it? Any other dealerships around?
Old 06-18-2023, 09:13 AM
Mr_Marty
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 58 Posts

NEVER drive a car that is leaking that much oil.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mr_Marty:
abiazis (10-14-2023), boredm (10-12-2023), Tupper (06-21-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 09:21 AM
Lofvis
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by hcvone
Weird, one of the bolts looks like it has corrorsion on it, and why didn't it leak on the way over or at the dealership, of course our pans are a plastic material as well as the drain plug. They told you to drive it? Any other dealerships around?
That "brown" spot is oil, seems to be leaking from that location, will know more once they dissemble everything.
Can speculate that is the gasket or bolt to sealing properly.
Only leaking when warm so excess (warm) oil was overflowing, never got up to temp when the dealership had it.

Yes they told me to drive it normally since I had no warning light the first time I was in, when I came back the week after for them to have a look the light had come on the night before.
After insp they were like, We don't recommend you to drive it, leave it here for 14 days while we wait for parts and a open slot in our schedule.
Old 06-18-2023, 09:30 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,171 Likes on 576 Posts

sorry to hear but should be an easy fix
Old 06-18-2023, 10:52 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

keep us posted
Old 06-18-2023, 12:52 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 943 Likes on 569 Posts

Oil pan gasket got pinched or ruptured. Easy fix. Not cool to see on a brand new car, but not the end of the world either. Have them come pick it up and flat deck to dealer.

Edit, just read the rest. I would light a fire under their ***, terrible advice to keep driving and 2 weeks to get it fixed when new, not it.

Last edited by Angryinch; 06-18-2023 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-18-2023, 01:50 PM
Turbinator
6th Gear

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lofvis
Recently took delivery of my car and it haven't started out all to great.

Picked it up Friday 2nd June in the afternoon, had a good long drive home and got everything up to a nice temperature etc, parked the car and came out the next morning to this:

Condensation water it has been hot... took the car for a second drive came back, still haven't dried up.. weird
Next day even big pool of "water" what a heck is going on.. touched it and wtf! it's oil ! drove straight to PC and asked them to have a look, "we have a time available next week but just drivit as normal until then"
Didn't drive it all to much that week but I did get the "low level alarm" just the day before I was booked for check up now they had a look and apparently the oil pan is leaking, seems to be like that from factory and now I need to wait another 14 days since that is the earliest time available to fix it.
This is a problem with many new Turbo S coming off the line. Supposedly a gasket issue (green gasket) on the oil pan. Car will leak on both sides of the engine, often two puddles. Porsche is mum about the issue but the volume dealers know what is going on. My dealer has seen at least 4 of these same problems with 2022-2023 Turbo S engines.

The problem is more than just an inconvenient oil leak, which most certainly is unbecoming of the quality standards that Porsche praises itself for (and for which they are not ashamed to charge premium dollars). If you drive it, like they suggest, you are likely to soil the injectors, which means the engine has to be dropped out of the car to replace them. And then there is the terrible problem of the connectors to the injectors, there is a known problem with these going haywire once disconnected. Soiled injectors + wiring harness not connecting to these injectors = misfiring and engine damage. YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY NOT DRIVE THIS CAR UNTIL THEY CAN PROPERLY SEAL THE OIL PAN AND EXAMINE/REPLACE THE INJECTORS.

Misfiring will light up your dash like a Christmas tree. Best case scenario, the yellow car emblem with the exclamation mark in the info dial to the right of the tachometer will light up, and tell you that “driving is permitted”(!), power is reduced, and you need to take your car to the dealer for service. Worst case the knocking gets so violent that the check engine light in the tach lights up.

Shame on Porsche for not acknowledging these serious issues with new $300k cars. They should have already issued multiple bulletins for these problems.

I hope this is helpful for those of you who have a Turbo S that leaks oil or otherwise identifies as a Jaguar. I read Porsche was moving into Ferrari’s successful business model. Maybe the oil leaks are a way to kick off that effort.

This is my third Turbo S. The prior ones were bulletproof, this one not so much, apparently. Since buying this 2023 car in early May, I have had it in my possession four days of which it was parked for three days due to the oil leak, and it has been in the shop three successive times for a cumulative total of almost 30 days. They are doing their best at the dealership to figure it out, but so far no dice. Utterly disappointing and, of course, completely unacceptable.

T
Old 06-18-2023, 01:53 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 943 Likes on 569 Posts

How does a leaking oil pan gasket soil the injectors??

What does soil the injectors mean?
Old 06-18-2023, 07:07 PM
Mr_Marty
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbinator
This is a problem with many new Turbo S coming off the line. Supposedly a gasket issue (green gasket) on the oil pan. Car will leak on both sides of the engine, often two puddles. Porsche is mum about the issue but the volume dealers know what is going on. My dealer has seen at least 4 of these same problems with 2022-2023 Turbo S engines.

The problem is more than just an inconvenient oil leak, which most certainly is unbecoming of the quality standards that Porsche praises itself for (and for which they are not ashamed to charge premium dollars). If you drive it, like they suggest, you are likely to soil the injectors, which means the engine has to be dropped out of the car to replace them. And then there is the terrible problem of the connectors to the injectors, there is a known problem with these going haywire once disconnected. Soiled injectors + wiring harness not connecting to these injectors = misfiring and engine damage. YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY NOT DRIVE THIS CAR UNTIL THEY CAN PROPERLY SEAL THE OIL PAN AND EXAMINE/REPLACE THE INJECTORS.

Misfiring will light up your dash like a Christmas tree. Best case scenario, the yellow car emblem with the exclamation mark in the info dial to the right of the tachometer will light up, and tell you that “driving is permitted”(!), power is reduced, and you need to take your car to the dealer for service. Worst case the knocking gets so violent that the check engine light in the tach lights up.

Shame on Porsche for not acknowledging these serious issues with new $300k cars. They should have already issued multiple bulletins for these problems.

I hope this is helpful for those of you who have a Turbo S that leaks oil or otherwise identifies as a Jaguar. I read Porsche was moving into Ferrari’s successful business model. Maybe the oil leaks are a way to kick off that effort.

This is my third Turbo S. The prior ones were bulletproof, this one not so much, apparently. Since buying this 2023 car in early May, I have had it in my possession four days of which it was parked for three days due to the oil leak, and it has been in the shop three successive times for a cumulative total of almost 30 days. They are doing their best at the dealership to figure it out, but so far no dice. Utterly disappointing and, of course, completely unacceptable.

T
You read some ridiculous things on forums but wow...
Old 06-18-2023, 08:24 PM
Turbinator
6th Gear

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr_Marty
You read some ridiculous things on forums but wow...
Sorry to disappoint. Like everyone here, I’d much prefer to be on the cheer team. I made it a point not to mention any of this until I learned there may be someone else with the same problem.

My dealership had trouble figuring out why the DME wasn’t connecting to the injectors, so they had to contact the factory, which sent a regional technical expert to evaluate the situation. That person visited with the lead techs last week and recommended they replace the connectors and part of the wiring harness to the injectors. As of right now, my new car is on the lift with the engine on a hoist sitting next to it. And this is after Porsche had anlready authorized replacement of the DME.

As incredible as all of this sounds - this kind of narrative does not fit the brand - it is actually happening. Porsche North America is involved and they have explained that occasionally they are willing to buy back a car, but that is not much relief given how long it took for the order to fill, not to mention ADMs which are presumably not covered.
Old 06-18-2023, 11:48 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Oil leak

Originally Posted by Turbinator
As of right now, my new car is on the lift with the engine on a hoist sitting next to it. And this is after Porsche had anlready authorized replacement of the DME.

As incredible as all of this sounds - this kind of narrative does not fit the brand - it is actually happening. Porsche North America is involved and they have explained that occasionally they are willing to buy back a car, but that is not much relief given how long it took for the order to fill, not to mention ADMs which are presumably not covered.
Would think PNA would be groveling for your understanding and jumping thru hoops to get this sorted AND provide you some sort of compensation for this mess. New business model...lower quality and higher prices?
Old 06-19-2023, 05:41 PM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Received 336 Likes on 197 Posts

its a car - has a mechanical issue - give them some time, they will fix it - anyone who thinks these cars are Holy, needs a reality check......no need to get your panties all knotted up
Old 06-19-2023, 07:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 762 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr_Marty
NEVER drive a car that is leaking that much oil.
lol…keep driving it. What a joke. Best case scenario you splatter oil everywhere the wind will take it…
Old 06-19-2023, 10:47 PM
Muhney
Rennlist Member

Received 412 Likes on 181 Posts

Ask Porsche to warranty for as long as you own it. That is what a friend of mine was given on his 991.2 TTS when the PDK leaked and went out in his first month.

Quick Reply: Leaking oil pan - Day 1