Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Bewildered Ferrari Convert

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2023, 10:42 PM
BHSAAA
Intermediate

Received 78 Likes on 21 Posts

Not that it matters, but just to add clarification for future shoppers; multiple hard-pulls for the same asset class within a multi-day window only count as ‘one’ inquiry against your credit score, there is not a penalty for each inquiry. This is to allow the consumer to shop without impacting their credit score. They show, but don’t impact the actual score.
Old 09-07-2023, 11:02 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

It's not Porsche, it's the people at your dealer. I had an opposite experience. A person can have a similarly bad experience at Hyundai, Honda, Pagani, Lamborghini, any dealer, anywhere, though I'm sorry this happened to you.
The following users liked this post:
cavemanmoore (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 05:07 PM
hjz
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cavemanmoore
When a dealer checks your credit to determine the most suitable lender, it's typically a soft pull. However, when the chosen lenders individually review your credit, each of these is a hard pull, which will impact your credit score. While some might debate this, direct communication with credit firms supports this.

I had the capability to initiate a wire transfer before having to rearrange my out-of-state appointments and booking last-minute flights to Nashville, all upon the dealer's insistence. They assured me a check would suffice, even taking the step to verify funds with my bank. Initiating a transfer at the dealership, especially during the final hours of a holiday weekend, would have meant an unplanned extended stay in Nashville, waiting for funds to clear, something my wife and I hadn't scheduled.

A logical solution would have been to wire the funds after the holiday on Tuesday. Both the salesman and the GSM had expressed their intention to contact me post-holiday to finalize the sale, even offering delivery to either of my residences. Yet, I received no communication on Tuesday. Despite my attempts to reach out via phone, text, and email today, I've received no feedback. Additionally, the car is no longer listed as available on their website. It leads me to believe they prioritized another buyer, which I surmise was their intention all along.

Frankly, I'm not overly bothered by the experience. My dissatisfaction stemmed from the service (or lack thereof) I received from Porsche of Nashville. Fortunately, there's no shortage of reputable dealers, including other Porsche dealerships, to choose from. This experience has been enlightening, and I've gleaned insights to ensure smoother transactions in the future.
It's aggravating to read your experience and I'm sorry you had to go through that. I am in your camp that communication is important and making demands last minute, expecting you to conform, all after details were already agreed upon is infuriating. I think even if the theory that they prioritized another customer over you, it's bad form and a di*k move to make you jump through all those hoops to get you to back out of a deal.
cavemanmoore (09-07-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 08:12 PM
Amir1
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 108 Posts

Sounds petty and childish to me. Even if I had a bad experience with a dealership, I love the car and would buy it anyway (unless they are trying to screw me, overcharge for something, etc) and not deprive myself of a fantastic car just because the buying experience wasn't perfect. - in particularly of concern to me is your expectation they would accept your personal out of state check and let you drive off with the car then and there before the funds have cleared. Would you sell your $250,000 car to someone based on a personal check and let them drive off before verifying you got the funds? Why didn't you simply wire the funds in advance? And according to your post, you already purchased a few Porches in the past. Meaning, you an experienced consumer. You should have known better.
flsupraguy (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 08:14 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 779 Posts

Originally Posted by Amir1
Sounds petty and childish to me. Even if I had a bad experience with a dealership, I love the car and would buy it anyway (unless they are trying to screw me, overcharge for something, etc) and not deprive myself of a fantastic car just because the buying experience wasn't perfect. - in particularly of concern to me is your expectation they would accept your personal out of state check and let you drive off with the car then and there before the funds have cleared. Would you sell your $250,000 car to someone based on a personal check and let them drive off before verifying you got the funds? Why didn't you simply wire the funds in advance? And according to your post, you already purchased a few Porches in the past. Meaning, you an experienced consumer. You should have known better.
100% Some people are so unreasonable
Old 09-08-2023, 09:14 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,546 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by Amir1
lolz why is reading so hard ? They asked an out of state customer to show up and take delivery in 1 day without warning. **** the check stuff. That alone is 100% bull****. Never have I ever had a dealer tell me I had a 24 hour window to pick up the car. They love holding the car until the funds transfer and settle. Even with a wire fraud can happen and they can get reversed. They also love rescheduling so they can play golf, or leave early on a Friday or whatever it is that makes half the week inconvenient to the SA.

And yes, if you’re a client long enough they will take a personal check. And no, they don’t let you drive off that way. Duh. You get the car when they confirm the money.
cavemanmoore (09-11-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 12:26 AM
992.Turbo.S
Instructor

Received 158 Likes on 83 Posts

Argghhh. This thread like so many is one side of a story that has three sides.
His side.
Their side.
And the actual facts.
Old 09-09-2023, 01:06 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,852 Likes on 4,804 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
lolz why is reading so hard ? They asked an out of state customer to show up and take delivery in 1 day without warning. **** the check stuff. That alone is 100% bull****. Never have I ever had a dealer tell me I had a 24 hour window to pick up the car. They love holding the car until the funds transfer and settle. Even with a wire fraud can happen and they can get reversed. They also love rescheduling so they can play golf, or leave early on a Friday or whatever it is that makes half the week inconvenient to the SA.

And yes, if you’re a client long enough they will take a personal check. And no, they don’t let you drive off that way. Duh. You get the car when they confirm the money.
Actually that's not really true.

If you are a known customer and have a good credit history (over 750), a dealer will take a personal check and let you drive off before it clears because in the event the check bounces, they just convert your "sale" into a lease.

The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
AlexCeres (09-09-2023), cavemanmoore (09-11-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 09:34 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

I think the OP should re-read his letter over and over again. He seems pretty proud of it.
Old 09-09-2023, 02:36 PM
mr. rpm
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Have been doing banking and specialty car business at the highest levels for 40 years and the statement that his bank has a cap on the amount of a cashier’s check is puzzling
Old 09-09-2023, 05:51 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,546 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Actually that's not really true.

If you are a known customer and have a good credit history (over 750), a dealer will take a personal check and let you drive off before it clears because in the event the check bounces, they just convert your "sale" into a lease.
I think that requires a conditional financing contract at time of sale too. But yeah longer history and bigger VIPs get more service.
Old 09-09-2023, 06:33 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,852 Likes on 4,804 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
I think that requires a conditional financing contract at time of sale too. But yeah longer history and bigger VIPs get more service.
No, not in my case.

I literally gave my porsche dealer a personal check on a Saturday, drove the car off the lot that same day.

Asked them if they were worried if the check did not clear, they said, "no, based on your credit history, they would simply convert the transaction into a lease."

I did not sign anything else besides the purchase agreement, and the required disclosres, e.g. ODO, etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
AlexCeres (09-10-2023), cavemanmoore (09-11-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 07:06 PM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 304 Posts

Mixed feelings reading this thread:
* The dealership needs to improve its communication skills & get there priorities in line. The out-of-state check policy is understandable but a next day delivery that inconveniences the customer is not.
* This customer sounds like a spoiled brat with deep pockets used to everyone catering to him.
Despite that, I understand his frustration & the dealer’s position.

not sure we have the complete “real” story.
Old 09-10-2023, 04:09 PM
mander
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Indeed, I don't think we have the full story. The Porsche dealer where I am a regular takes my personal check with no provisos. OTOH, I once was putting together a deal with Porsche of Nashville (as was the OP). They really wanted it done by the end of the calendar year (two days away) and did have all sorts of provisos as I wasn't known as well to them. They were professional about it though.
Old 09-11-2023, 07:21 PM
cavemanmoore
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 992.Turbo.S
Argghhh. This thread like so many is one side of a story that has three sides.
His side.
Their side.
And the actual facts.
As all stories do. An analogy I use often is that of two people standing on opposite corners witnessing the same car accident. Each can be sure of what they saw, but what they saw can look different from one another. Regardless, I tried to be objective and factual with my post.

Originally Posted by Domer911
I think the OP should re-read his letter over and over again. He seems pretty proud of it.
I am. I thought I expressed my frustration well, despite being upset when I wrote it.

Originally Posted by mr. rpm
Have been doing banking and specialty car business at the highest levels for 40 years and the statement that his bank has a cap on the amount of a cashier’s check is puzzling
My bank (a small regional institution) does not have a cap. The network they are a part of does. This was new to me too.

Originally Posted by rwbern
Mixed feelings reading this thread:
* The dealership needs to improve its communication skills & get there priorities in line. The out-of-state check policy is understandable but a next day delivery that inconveniences the customer is not.
* This customer sounds like a spoiled brat with deep pockets used to everyone catering to him.
Despite that, I understand his frustration & the dealer’s position.

not sure we have the complete “real” story.
I cannot remember ever being called a spoiled brat before. Guess there's a first time for everything. Regardless, my post is factual and accurate.

Originally Posted by mander
Indeed, I don't think we have the full story. The Porsche dealer where I am a regular takes my personal check with no provisos. OTOH, I once was putting together a deal with Porsche of Nashville (as was the OP). They really wanted it done by the end of the calendar year (two days away) and did have all sorts of provisos as I wasn't known as well to them. They were professional about it though.
The dealer where I purchased my last two Porsches (in a state where I didn't reside at the time) accepted a personal check. The dealer where I purchase my work vehicles accepts checks too. I didn't know whether or not Porsche of Nashville would accept a personal check, hence my asking them before booking last minute flights. Glad to hear your experience with Porsche of Nashville was better than mine.

Last edited by cavemanmoore; 09-11-2023 at 07:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Bewildered Ferrari Convert