Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Blasphemy At Its Finest?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2023, 10:07 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,163 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Shogunade
This is just completely incorrect. The chemicals are insanely acidic and abrasive. What do you think is doing the cleaning in q touchless wash?

Anyway. Go through it if you must. But try to find a place that does hand wash.
What cleaning happens? It's 99% from the high pressure water. They use heavily diluted concentrate.

Much easier chance to mess something up using your own detailing products at home on your wheels, interior and paint.

I had a ceramic coat by feynlab. I bought their shampoo concentrate, on the jug it states which ratio to dilute to for maintenance washing. Nearly every person goes beyond the ratio of "safe" measures to complete a soft wash. Especially on YouTube because the more foam they show you the more clicks they get. People are obsessed with thick foam.

I use a foam cannon too and have an entire separate room in my garage packed with all the detailing products from A to Z. You will cause more damage detailing or own car compared to a touch less wash simply due to contact. At least you get deionized water at the end of a touchless wash.

These cars have paint on the same level as a Jetta. It's not made of unobtanium.

Maybe people don't want to be seen among the plebs at those washes. Taboo to take such a high end car that's worth nearly as much as the car wash itself.

The following users liked this post:
feron315 (09-15-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 10:10 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 306 Likes on 185 Posts

Easy to say "Just take it to a hand wash place," but around here, detail shops have almost vanished since COVID. Nobody is left but some sketchy mobile operators. The few exceptions are booked out for months.

One shop that I used for years was wonderful, but the owner woke up one day and decided he only wanted to do PPF work.
Old 09-15-2023, 04:32 AM
911dude41
Drifting

Originally Posted by Larson E. Rapp
Easy to say "Just take it to a hand wash place," but around here, detail shops have almost vanished since COVID. Nobody is left but some sketchy mobile operators. The few exceptions are booked out for months.

One shop that I used for years was wonderful, but the owner woke up one day and decided he only wanted to do PPF work.
Same issues here. The only thing I wont do myself anymore is using a machine polisher. Those days are done. Been to a handful of "detailing" shops, nothing more than a business like a McDonald's. Mediocre at best. You think they're grabbing a new towel when the one theyre using falls on the ground or gets contaminated? Nah, gotta save the good ones you know? The customer wont notice. The mobile guys AKA craigslist detailers out here are smug a$$holes, taking the personifilities of their clientele. Too rich and busy for U. They're just trying to put food on the table without having a boss.

Guess what Porsche does when your car is in for service? Run it through the slaparooni 3000 plus machine with sometimes only water which means even less lubrication than the slaparooni 3000 plus at the monthly subscription car wash. Driven by a sweaty car-porter who probably passed some gas after the chipotle lunch. Here are your keys, thank sir. Ask them not to wash your car and it comes back dirtier than you anticipated.
RD16RR (09-15-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 07:49 AM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Received 336 Likes on 197 Posts

Service Advisor always tags my car Do Not Wash
911dude41 (09-15-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 01:43 PM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 753 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by RD16RR
Service Advisor always tags my car Do Not Wash
My dealership got a sign made by a sign shop saying
DO NOT WASH
THIS MEANS YOU
RD16RR (09-15-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 02:38 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

You can do whatever you want. The obsessive car cleaning types on this thread will tell you otherwise, but if you don't have the time to wait for a detailer and this is your only option, touchless car wash, just do it. Who cares if it's a bit abrasive to your car? If it's your only option, the so what. Compared to dying in a flood in Libya or in an earthquake in Morocco, cleaning your car at a touchless place is no big deal. The quality of our problems.... jeez. Enjoy your car! I just wash mine off with a hose at my house once a week, then dry it with a microfiber cloth. No soap, I don't care, I don't have the time for it. Been doing it this way for 10+ years and all my cars look amazing. Fine scratches? I have a silver car, can't see any at all. Even my Mercedes which is dark grey metallic, I can't see any fine scratches. We'll all be dead soon in relative terms, let's enjoy the time we have left in any way we want. Judging how someone cleans their car here is just plain stupid. We're not all alike.
The following 3 users liked this post by Steve 96C4S:
911dude41 (09-15-2023), Larson E. Rapp (09-15-2023), Tim Porter (09-18-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 04:37 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Here's what "proper" soap dilution looks like coming out of a foam cannon as per the instructions from Feynlab's car shampoo along with Koch Chemie GSF. Anything more would create more foam, but according to the instructions it would cause a "clean slate" dilution which would strip away waxes and coatings. Notice how runny the soap/foam appears compared to what you see on youtube and other parts of the internet. I can acheive more foam if I wanted, but it's not the "right way" according to instructions.

I'm also using the proper orifices in the foam cannon and have multiple sizes. Running smaller orifices draws more power and can trip a breaker along with shortening the life of your machine. Even with smaller orifices the foam doesn't really come out thicker.

I'm with all of you guys on washing your own cars, at home, by hand. Just don't believe touchless washes are as bad as people think. Sorry if I came off like a jerk in this thread.

Old 09-15-2023, 10:14 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,537 Likes on 867 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dude41
Here's what "proper" soap dilution looks like coming out of a foam cannon as per the instructions from Feynlab's car shampoo along with Koch Chemie GSF...
I can acheive more foam if I wanted, but it's not the "right way" according to instructions.

Are you saying this picture is the correct texture of foam when first sprayed with a foam cannon? If so, texture should be more runny than, say fully cooked popcorn?
Old 09-15-2023, 11:45 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Originally Posted by Shogunade
Are you saying this picture is the correct texture of foam when first sprayed with a foam cannon? If so, texture should be more runny than, say fully cooked popcorn?
Technically yes, because no matter what I've experimented with you need to put ample amounts of soap to get YouTube foam. Unless you get some specific forumla thats made to foam like no tomorrow but IMO that is low tier and mainly for cool pictures/vids. A little more doesn't hurt in all honesty. I'm guilty of almost always adding a touch more. You'll notice everyone promoting these products does the same. I can maybe count on one hand where I've seen people stay true to the instructions. It also helps if you're using filtered water. We have very hard water here.

Even with 2+ years and 30k miles worth of driving and washing the ceramic coat was still intact. Full beading. The front clip PPF section was not as good as the non PPF areas in terms of beading but the coat was most certainly still there. On all cars I've owned with ceramic coatings they all degrade somewhat. Only my old GTS it seemed to wear off in certain areas but that was due to a slop job by the detailer who missed sections and that compromised the coat.

With that said, even when "runny" its still sudding up and coating the body. You still get good lubrication and I could see dirt getting loosened & pulled down (if any). It's just runny compared to what's shown online. While it's extremely satisfying to get that fully cooked popcorn foam like you said, it's overkill and waste of product.
Old 09-18-2023, 03:07 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
You can do whatever you want. The obsessive car cleaning types on this thread will tell you otherwise, but if you don't have the time to wait for a detailer and this is your only option, touchless car wash, just do it. Who cares if it's a bit abrasive to your car? If it's your only option, the so what. Compared to dying in a flood in Libya or in an earthquake in Morocco, cleaning your car at a touchless place is no big deal. The quality of our problems.... jeez. Enjoy your car! I just wash mine off with a hose at my house once a week, then dry it with a microfiber cloth. No soap, I don't care, I don't have the time for it. Been doing it this way for 10+ years and all my cars look amazing. Fine scratches? I have a silver car, can't see any at all. Even my Mercedes which is dark grey metallic, I can't see any fine scratches. We'll all be dead soon in relative terms, let's enjoy the time we have left in any way we want. Judging how someone cleans their car here is just plain stupid. We're not all alike.
I like your thinking. I have a difficulty walking because of bone-on-bone in both knees and gout in my ankles. I really don't want to wait for a detailer either. The touchless I use does not have any rails on he floor. Just drive in and in a couple of minutes, the car is clean. Then dried via air.
Old 09-19-2023, 09:32 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,070 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Dariof
I like your thinking. I have a difficulty walking because of bone-on-bone in both knees and gout in my ankles. I really don't want to wait for a detailer either. The touchless I use does not have any rails on he floor. Just drive in and in a couple of minutes, the car is clean. Then dried via air.
Agree do what you want, especially if you cant physically enjoy washing your cars as I do - it very zen like and relaxing to me. But I dont understand the waiting for a detailer to show up at your house? All the detailers I have ever used (I do this when no time and/or to learn some specific techniques like orbital polishing or deep water spot removal, etc...) set an appointment and show up its super simple. Maybe its the cost of a detailer and you would rather play the tables in vegas with that extra $100!
Old 09-19-2023, 10:26 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 4,481 Likes on 1,837 Posts

You live in Vegas and So Cal, there’s 100s of mobile detailers that’ll come your house. Some bring their own water, too.
Old 09-20-2023, 12:18 AM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 216 Posts

I enjoy washing my car. I need do it myself:

The following 2 users liked this post by VintageRacer:
dnimi123 (09-20-2023), Just J (09-20-2023)

Quick Reply: Blasphemy At Its Finest?