Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Frustrating buying journey

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2023, 01:36 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,565 Likes on 960 Posts

Beautiful car. Congrats. Sorry the journey was so unpleasant. It’ll be behind you soon enough while you drive that machine.
Old 10-01-2023, 01:46 PM
Ronaldo
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Minneapolis Porsche I guess ? I had similar experience there and took my deposit back and will never buy/trade in cars with them anymore.
Old 10-01-2023, 05:45 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 833 Likes on 401 Posts

Give the SA the $10,000 watch!!?
Old 10-02-2023, 09:26 AM
Minisoda
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 20 Posts

I'll reveal the dealership when I have the keys/title in hand! These guys have been shady enough, I don't want to risk losing my slot after waiting 18 months to get to this point.
The following users liked this post:
WCGhost (10-10-2023)
Old 10-02-2023, 09:39 AM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronaldo
Minneapolis Porsche I guess ? I had similar experience there and took my deposit back and will never buy/trade in cars with them anymore.
Have I got a story there if anyone ever wants! Couldnt agree more...
Old 10-02-2023, 09:50 AM
Billy Bluejay
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by redmonkey928
Have I got a story there if anyone ever wants! Couldnt agree more...
let’s hear it!
Old 10-02-2023, 10:31 AM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Billy Bluejay
let’s hear it!
The store is part of Carousel Auto Group (both Minneapolis stores being the same), and back in 2017 I had a similar experience as the OP in placing a deposit on a new order being local (they only sold some of the harder to get cars locally I was told). Was told I was number 1 on that list (and given emails confirming receipt of funds, and I was number one on that list), and that they would be in touch once things started flowing. Fast forward nearly two years, they explain no car for me to be had - here is your money back even though local is what they want.

In that same sequence post-mishap, we work through this and got a car on order (at a markup now as the policies have since changed from years back, so you can see it was nothing to do being local - more about ADM as the OP is seeing). As soon as the car is produced in 2021, I paid for it in full before it arrived (when the dealer was invoiced after the car left the post I sent the full invoice amount via wire) so I could pickup when it arrived. On pickup day, things that changed:
- The finance manager added a service contract into the purchase, crossed part the ADM out and added numerous items in when I specifically asked not to (stated he gets paid on those so he was going to add those from the ADM)
- I had aftermarket items that were paid for and not installed, they would not refund those at pickup and stated that I could only bring it back to get them (they also make money in that of course but couldnt get installed)
- I arrived in casual clothes, not one, but multiple people asked what my wife and I did for work as they looked at how we arrived and what we were wearing and how we could afford a car like that (workout clothes)
- There were items missing due to COVID and the backup of supply chain items, those never arrived after being told they would send when they arrived, which included the second key despite being told it would be taken care of on their end

I sold the car to a different dealer out of spite at the time because of the sales experience and didnt appreciate any part of trying to work with the most local dealership. To date, they never sent the missing items and only refunded my service contract items after I escalated to the management of the dealership group and explained the situation.

Ronaldo (10-02-2023)
Old 10-02-2023, 10:44 AM
Billy Bluejay
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 101 Posts

The store is part of Carousel Auto Group (both Minneapolis stores being the same), and back in 2017 I had a similar experience as the OP in placing a deposit on a new order being local (they only sold some of the harder to get cars locally I was told). Was told I was number 1 on that list (and given emails confirming receipt of funds, and I was number one on that list), and that they would be in touch once things started flowing. Fast forward nearly two years, they explain no car for me to be had - here is your money back even though local is what they want.

In that same sequence post-mishap, we work through this and got a car on order (at a markup now as the policies have since changed from years back, so you can see it was nothing to do being local - more about ADM as the OP is seeing). As soon as the car is produced in 2021, I paid for it in full before it arrived (when the dealer was invoiced after the car left the post I sent the full invoice amount via wire) so I could pickup when it arrived. On pickup day, things that changed:
- The finance manager added a service contract into the purchase, crossed part the ADM out and added numerous items in when I specifically asked not to (stated he gets paid on those so he was going to add those from the ADM)
- I had aftermarket items that were paid for and not installed, they would not refund those at pickup and stated that I could only bring it back to get them (they also make money in that of course but couldnt get installed)
- I arrived in casual clothes, not one, but multiple people asked what my wife and I did for work as they looked at how we arrived and what we were wearing and how we could afford a car like that (workout clothes)
- There were items missing due to COVID and the backup of supply chain items, those never arrived after being told they would send when they arrived, which included the second key despite being told it would be taken care of on their end

I sold the car to a different dealer out of spite at the time because of the sales experience and didnt appreciate any part of trying to work with the most local dealership. To date, they never sent the missing items and only refunded my service contract items after I escalated to the management of the dealership group and explained the situation.
I can’t believe they wouldn’t send you the 2nd key!
Old 10-02-2023, 10:56 AM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Billy Bluejay
I can’t believe they wouldn’t send you the 2nd key!
Still waiting
Old 10-03-2023, 09:14 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 436 Posts

I would have such a resentment against this dealer once I got the car... Can you imagine buying any consumer item and being treated like this? Shame on them. Once I'd get the car I'd email the general manager and let them know that when they treat a customer this poorly, the customer tells 100 people. They shot themselves in the foot and can't see the forest through the trees. Makes my blood boil.
The following 2 users liked this post by Steve 96C4S:
Tupper (10-24-2023), WCGhost (10-10-2023)
Old 10-03-2023, 10:31 AM
d9m13n
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Still waiting
The worst part is that the cars without a 2nd key from factory were assigned a recall campaign for the key. The keys are auto allocated to the parts dept of the selling dealer, so by now the key has to be sitting in their parts department! Sorry to see the frustrations and bad business.
Old 10-03-2023, 01:24 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,490 Likes on 958 Posts

These are complete horror stories. This is like Chevy Cavalier treatment…in fact in 1997 I bought a Cavalier Z24 and received better treatment. Good God.
Old 10-03-2023, 05:48 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 83 Posts

Sorry to hear that. I’ve bought three cars in four years on the other side of the river (St. Paul) and my sales guy has been great. Hope your ship comes in!
Old 10-03-2023, 07:29 PM
Engro
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
I would have such a resentment against this dealer once I got the car... Can you imagine buying any consumer item and being treated like this? Shame on them. Once I'd get the car I'd email the general manager and let them know that when they treat a customer this poorly, the customer tells 100 people. They shot themselves in the foot and can't see the forest through the trees. Makes my blood boil.
Who do you think approves all the deals. It's the same GM you are going to complain to
As long as there are dozens of people on wait list, the shenanigans will continue. To get their attention it would have to be something so egregious even the general manager cannot ignore it and even then, Porsche would need to be involved. I have had a GM lie to my face about an allocation and this is a dealer I have done business with for years

The problem is everyone's experience is not always the same with said dealer and dealer still has you over a barrel if you still need an allocation. As you can clearly see, OP is still holding back the name of the dealer even when it's pretty clear they have been anything but admirable.
Old 10-03-2023, 10:53 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,988 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by Breen
Sounds like the worst dealer of all time.
They check all the boxes:

dishonest
greedy
incompetent
cowardly
immature
don't forget high turnover/ too many new faces
AlexCeres (10-03-2023)

Quick Reply: Frustrating buying journey