Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Gloss Black Parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2023, 10:39 AM
sprangle
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

> I am debating with them that all GB area can be wrapped because the 'plastic' texture is sanded down for paint. This includes the mirror base and the side intakes.

I'm not sure what you mean here. The side intakes I had painted did not have a texture before they were painted and after painted came out mirror perfect. Maybe you are painting some other section that has a texture or something?

I also have the glass roof. I had film put on the all the GB sections on the roof, the section ahead of the glass roof and the sections behind, including around the engine intake slats at the rear. They probably don't get chipped but they get the "spider web" micro scratches SUPER easy when wiped with a towel. When I got the car (with 6k miles) it had the micro scratches. The film was put on top and the microscratches are 100% hidden, the installer didn't bother to buff them out.. And the film doesn't get micro scratches.

It all came out perfect IMO, I'm happy. Probably nobody else (but a Porsche enthusiast maybe) would notice all the details but I don't care about that at all.

Last edited by sprangle; 10-12-2023 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-14-2023, 11:06 PM
jaftts
Track Day

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sprangle
> I am debating with them that all GB area can be wrapped because the 'plastic' texture is sanded down for paint. This includes the mirror base and the side intakes.

I'm not sure what you mean here. The side intakes I had painted did not have a texture before they were painted and after painted came out mirror perfect. Maybe you are painting some other section that has a texture or something?

I also have the glass roof. I had film put on the all the GB sections on the roof, the section ahead of the glass roof and the sections behind, including around the engine intake slats at the rear. They probably don't get chipped but they get the "spider web" micro scratches SUPER easy when wiped with a towel. When I got the car (with 6k miles) it had the micro scratches. The film was put on top and the microscratches are 100% hidden, the installer didn't bother to buff them out.. And the film doesn't get micro scratches.

It all came out perfect IMO, I'm happy. Probably nobody else (but a Porsche enthusiast maybe) would notice all the details but I don't care about that at all.
So the route I have decided to take is to get the Matt black plastic parts from the factory painted after delivery (except for side intakes & mirror base that will be GB from the factory). What I am unsure is if these painted GB parts can be wrapped. I have heard conflicting views on this including the shop where the car will be wrapped.
Old 10-14-2023, 11:46 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 947 Likes on 571 Posts

Painted pieces are smooth and can be wrapped.
Old 10-15-2023, 08:31 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by FLT6SPD
Porsche makes paint ready versions so your not trying to paint textured pieces. I have gloss black intake vents and bought this to match.

992-807-993-M-G2X

Thats the way to go...primed already
Old 10-18-2023, 09:01 AM
DemonBarber
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FLT6SPD
Porsche makes paint ready versions so your not trying to paint textured pieces. I have gloss black intake vents and bought this to match.

992-807-993-M-G2X

Man, thank you for sharing this. I've been looking everywhere for primed, non-textured, paintable plastic trim pieces for my 992 TTS so I can have them painted gloss black and swap them for the stock matte black plastic. Do you happen to know if there are other black trim pieces also available primed and ready for paint? Such as the rear air outlets, etc?
Old 10-18-2023, 04:03 PM
jaftts
Track Day

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DemonBarber
Man, thank you for sharing this. I've been looking everywhere for primed, non-textured, paintable plastic trim pieces for my 992 TTS so I can have them painted gloss black and swap them for the stock matte black plastic. Do you happen to know if there are other black trim pieces also available primed and ready for paint? Such as the rear air outlets, etc?
I think you can order them through Porsche with your VIN but they are not cheap (if money is a factor at all). I found that Porsche body shop can sand down the matt texture so they are back in paint ready state and get you the same GB appearance as what you get from the factory
Old 03-19-2024, 02:34 AM
NEH51
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

@jaftts what did you end up doing? I’m also based in the Bay Area and just got a Turbo allocation. I prefer the quad exhaust look, but would like to have the diffuser in GB (and other parts). I’d love to see how it turned out, where you had it done, what it cost (if you don’t mind sharing). Cheers
Old 03-19-2024, 06:58 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 208 Posts

Same situation for me…discouraging when I think about it. It was a’stop sale’ on a painted package where I wanted gloss black on rear fascia and front slats…then when I got my “track your dream” photo, I saw an error had the car produced/ delivered with no painted parts whatsoever…all matte plastic…so dealer ordered all primed parts and did mirror bases, fender intakes, side skirts, rear intakes in body colour - rear fascia a front slats in gloss black. It was my Porsche dealer’s in house body shop and it turned out perfect…but in speaking with the tech on a Saturday, the rear fascia and slats in GB where like painting the space shuttle in complexity….but it looks perfect and I know it will wear well.

Last edited by Overdraft; 03-19-2024 at 07:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Overdraft:
kurquhart (03-19-2024), NEH51 (03-20-2024)

Quick Reply: Gloss Black Parts