Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Gloss Black Parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2023, 11:29 PM
jaftts
Track Day

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Gloss Black Parts

I finally got an allocation for a TTS with Oct 17th lock and Dec build and ETA Jan 2024.

As the SA was submitting the order, option P86 (Exterior Package in High Gloss Black) came back as 'stop sale'. As reported on other threads, Sports Design Package with many common black gloss parts is still available but I am not a fan. As a back-up I added rear Intakes in GB (mirror base in GB was already in the build) but still need to figure out how to get the side skirts and rear diffuser in GB. I think I can live with the from intake as is. In the order of preference I am exploring these options

1. Order the two parts in GB and swamp them at delivery time. Does anyone know where I can order these from ?
a. Side Skirts: Found 'paintable' skirts from Suncoast but not already painted in GB which I prefer.
b. Rear Diffuser: Can not find anywhere except for the aftermarket options like Techart
2. Order only Side skirts in GB (need help to point me where to buy as stated above). This will make the mirror base, rear inlet and skirt match. I can have the rear diffuser painted in GB after delivery. I am in SF Bay Area so any recommendations would be appreciated

3. Get both parts painted after delivery. I am in SF Bay Area so any recommendations would be appreciated.

The reason I prefer 2 over 3 is it takes care of the side of the car and gives me time to see if I can live with the rear diffuser in matt since the front intakes will be the same.

Any help of source for GB parts as well as recommendation for a reputable bodyshop will be highly appreciated.
Old 10-08-2023, 09:54 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,173 Likes on 577 Posts

easily painted by most body shops and cheaper too
Old 10-08-2023, 11:30 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 946 Likes on 571 Posts

You could also wrap these items.

the side skirts get blasted with rocks.
Old 10-08-2023, 09:15 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,481 Likes on 952 Posts

When I had my Aventurine 992 TTS they told me the rear diffuser was not easy to wrap and have it hold due to the heat. You might be better off just sticking with the black plastic, or be careful where you go - find a really good body shop to do the gloss black items, not all shops are created equal.
Old 10-08-2023, 09:53 PM
Yojeffo
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Angryinch

Added GT3 skirts to my 2022 Targa 4 GTS with the Exterior Package in High Gloss Black and then PPFed. It's been a year and no chips, dings or scrapes present. Done by a Porsche shop who did some serious sanding and prep work. Gloss skirts look perfect with the high gloss package.
Old 10-08-2023, 10:56 PM
jaftts
Track Day

Originally Posted by eclou
easily painted by most body shops and cheaper too
Yes, looking for recommendations
Old 10-08-2023, 10:57 PM
jaftts
Track Day

I am being told plastic parts can not be wrapped. If they wrap it, film would come off in few mods max
Old 10-08-2023, 11:01 PM
jaftts
Track Day

Originally Posted by chance6
When I had my Aventurine 992 TTS they told me the rear diffuser was not easy to wrap and have it hold due to the heat. You might be better off just sticking with the black plastic, or be careful where you go - find a really good body shop to do the gloss black items, not all shops are created equal.
Doing nothing is an option I can look into once the car arrives. Knowing that mirror, intake and skirts don't match I will certainly be staring at them every time I get near the car though
Old 10-09-2023, 04:36 PM
sprangle
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I live in Austin, TX so no advice on where to get them painted.
I had the intakes painted (bought the car used and it was not spec'd as GB). It was $250, which was cheaper (confirming what eclou said).
My wrap guy put some GB film on the intakes as an alternative to painting them, but it looked wrong.
The skirts, rear diffuser and front area was spec'd as GB, I couldn't stop staring at the unpaintedside scoops, so I know where you are coming from.
All the GB as been clear wrapped and that has worked fine.
I would recommend clear wrapping everything that is GB (for me that adds the wing and the area around the sunroof as well as the bottom of the CF side view mirrors).

Last edited by sprangle; 10-09-2023 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-09-2023, 04:47 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 946 Likes on 571 Posts

IF you go GB, make sure you wrap it clear after, the intakes and side skirts take a beating.
Old 10-09-2023, 04:56 PM
jaftts
Track Day

Originally Posted by sprangle
I live in Austin, TX so no advice on where to get them painted.
I had the intakes painted (bought the car used and it was not spec'd as GB). It was $250, which was cheaper (confirming what eclou said).
My wrap guy put some GB film on the intakes as an alternative to painting them, but it looked wrong.
The skirts, rear diffuser and front area was spec'd as GB, I couldn't stop staring at the unpaintedside scoops, so I know where you are coming from.
All the GB as been clear wrapped and that has worked fine.
I would recommend clear wrapping everything that is GB (for me that adds the wing and the area around the sunroof as well as the bottom of the CF side view mirrors).
Yes, will get it wrapped at the dealer. At this point they are saying all painted surfaces will be wrapped so not sure about the Sunroof since I went with the glass roof. I am debating with them that all GB area can be wrapped because the 'plastic' texture is sanded down for paint. This includes the mirror base and the side intakes.
Old 10-09-2023, 04:56 PM
jaftts
Track Day

IF you go GB, make sure you wrap it clear after, the intakes and side skirts take a beating.
That's what I am pushing the dealer for
Old 10-09-2023, 05:06 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,537 Likes on 867 Posts

Originally Posted by jaftts
I am being told plastic parts can not be wrapped. If they wrap it, film would come off in few mods max
I tried wrapping GT3 sideskirts with a carbon wrap. It will keep bubbling no matter what. Front lip is fine.
Old 10-09-2023, 06:10 PM
jaftts
Track Day

Originally Posted by Shogunade
I tried wrapping GT3 sideskirts with a carbon wrap. It will keep bubbling no matter what. Front lip is fine.
did you wrap the front intake slats as well or just the side walls ? I have not looked into the front but if it can be wrapped that will be best. I am sure painting those will be costly due to the removing and remounting the parts

Last edited by jaftts; 10-09-2023 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-11-2023, 05:52 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 270 Posts

Porsche makes paint ready versions so your not trying to paint textured pieces. I have gloss black intake vents and bought this to match.

992-807-993-M-G2X

The following users liked this post:
Pad Bender (10-15-2023)

Quick Reply: Gloss Black Parts