64.71%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Beating a Dead Horse. Good Deal or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2023, 01:46 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 866 Posts
Default Beating a Dead Horse. Good Deal or Not?

Some of you have read my previous posts about trading up to a TTS. My previous deal fell through. Obviously my objective here is to get in as low as possible, and to lose as least as possible intersecting with being able to enjoy the car as quickly as possible. That being said, thanks to everyone who's chimed in with their thoughts and opinions. They help a lot. Especially to a noob like me.

So I found one with pretty much every option and color I was looking for. It's a one owner CPO 2021 cab with 5.5k miles. Asking price is FIRM at full MSRP including taxes. The rub is the cars in Canada. Getting it here and registering is not a problem. At the end of the day it'll be $10k over MSRP all in, including 2.85% duty at the border and transport.

This car built in the US would've had a sticker of $250 when it was ordered. And I could have it for $235 all in. I know there's a stigma with taking a bath on reselling Canadian cars in the states. (That's another moving part to this loaded question.)

Currently, from my research, a low mileage CPO 21 is still being offered at MSRP. If they're selling at that price is another question. But I do keep reading that prices are softening quickly. But I don't see it. Maybe I have blinders on.

So now you know my objective, should I pull the trigger or give it about a year. Where do you think prices will be then? Definitely down, but by how much? Will we see a drastic drop off with values closer to non pandemic historical depreciation? Like half it's MSRP is what a four year old TTS is historically worth.

Again, no one's a soothsayer, just asking thoughts. Thanks for humoring me.
Old 10-20-2023, 04:03 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not for me. Just bought a 2024 TTS @ MSRP. They are out there, keep looking. IMO
Old 10-21-2023, 01:14 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,852 Likes on 4,804 Posts

Yes, you're right.

Currently 2022 TTS with low mileage are selling at MSRP (not just ask, but actual transaction prices).

So, in your case, you are paying a premium at 10k ADM.

So, if we just look at the numbers it is not a good deal.

But, we don't know the specs, and if it has something unique that you want in particular. So for you it might be a good deal, even though objectively it is not.

As to future prices, I hate to prognosticate, but if I were a betting person, I'd bet that prices on TT/TTS does nothing but trend downward, and rather sharply.

Good luck in your search.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
heshalosny (10-26-2023), mashoutposse (10-28-2023)
Old 10-21-2023, 01:14 AM
Breen
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Shogunade
Some of you have read my previous posts about trading up to a TTS. My previous deal fell through. Obviously my objective here is to get in as low as possible, and to lose as least as possible intersecting with being able to enjoy the car as quickly as possible. That being said, thanks to everyone who's chimed in with their thoughts and opinions. They help a lot. Especially to a noob like me.

So I found one with pretty much every option and color I was looking for. It's a one owner CPO 2021 cab with 5.5k miles. Asking price is FIRM at full MSRP including taxes. The rub is the cars in Canada. Getting it here and registering is not a problem. At the end of the day it'll be $10k over MSRP all in, including 2.85% duty at the border and transport.

This car built in the US would've had a sticker of $250 when it was ordered. And I could have it for $235 all in. I know there's a stigma with taking a bath on reselling Canadian cars in the states. (That's another moving part to this loaded question.)

Currently, from my research, a low mileage CPO 21 is still being offered at MSRP. If they're selling at that price is another question. But I do keep reading that prices are softening quickly. But I don't see it. Maybe I have blinders on.

So now you know my objective, should I pull the trigger or give it about a year. Where do you think prices will be then? Definitely down, but by how much? Will we see a drastic drop off with values closer to non pandemic historical depreciation? Like half it's MSRP is what a four year old TTS is historically worth.

Again, no one's a soothsayer, just asking thoughts. Thanks for humoring me.
dude… I don’t mean to be rude but if you have to import a Canada car and pull all these levers to rationalize a car purchase, you are definitely being irresponsible.

i get it, YOLO - but purely objectively you should kick back and wait until you have the financial runway to not give AF about the price. Theres always something faster and cooler - chasing that unicorn is a road to nowhere, especially when you’re stressing this much about the costs.

again, no disparaging here, I totally get it. Either way, see ya on the roads 👋

Last edited by Breen; 10-21-2023 at 01:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
gatorfast (10-24-2023)
Old 10-21-2023, 09:20 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 207 Posts

Enjoy your existing cab- it’s an awesome car….the trade up under the conditions and deliberations you describe are imho not worth it. Don’t get me wrong, TTS is a subjectively better car….but a 992 cab is by some measures a better car…look at it that way. Lots of time for a TTS later when conditions align.
Old 10-21-2023, 10:27 AM
handdoc
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 78 Posts

i've recently looked at TTS, 2021...Manheim shows nothing has sold in a while, because reserves are too high

realistically from people i know in the "biz", i'm being told to wait till january

'currently estimates wholesale on a 2021 TTS are up to 20% BELOW MSRP...dealers that bought high and are holding out are gonna lose

just what i've learned, hope it helps
The following 3 users liked this post by handdoc:
Jkb545 (10-24-2023), mashoutposse (10-28-2023), shrimp money (10-21-2023)
Old 10-21-2023, 01:32 PM
Hoodini
Track Day

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
Not for me. Just bought a 2024 TTS @ MSRP. They are out there, keep looking. IMO
I got a 24 TTS @msrp too last week. Just call around.
Old 10-23-2023, 05:21 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 866 Posts

I think you guys are right. I've decided to hold off until after the winter and reassess then. I'm sure I'll post again about this then. Teehee.
The following 2 users liked this post by Shogunade:
Breen (10-23-2023), heshalosny (10-26-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 04:32 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 292 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by handdoc
i've recently looked at TTS, 2021...Manheim shows nothing has sold in a while, because reserves are too high

realistically from people i know in the "biz", i'm being told to wait till january

'currently estimates wholesale on a 2021 TTS are up to 20% BELOW MSRP...dealers that bought high and are holding out are gonna lose

just what i've learned, hope it helps
Hopefully its the same morons that collected all G-Wagons and got burned
Old 10-27-2023, 11:43 PM
handdoc
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 78 Posts

good watch, take home as always in things like this..."pigs get slaughtered"

Quick Reply: Beating a Dead Horse. Good Deal or Not?