Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Which Hi Flow Cats don’t throw a CEL?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2023, 05:24 AM
mark_to_b
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

All 200 Cell throw a Code here in Germany on the 992‘s. So you have GPF in US or are thus without ?
Old 12-31-2023, 09:51 AM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by mark_to_b
All 200 Cell throw a Code here in Germany on the 992‘s. So you have GPF in US or are thus without ?
I believe that GPF’s are NOT installed on US-destination or European Delivered US cars …. Here’s a good thread on this topic with a side-by-side pic of a GPF exhaust vs a US-based catalytic exhaust in Post #7: https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1286...s-have-it.html
Old 12-31-2023, 04:40 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 4,494 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by mark_to_b
We don’t have GPF in USA.
Old 01-02-2024, 07:49 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 258 Posts

Interesting comments...

I have tested 2 different Soul 200 cell sport cat versions (one with HJS inserts and the other an unknown catalytic insert), both with and without spacers. Every version threw O2 sensor CELs.

I have gotten very handy clearing O2 sensor CEL codes with my code reader . No biggy!
Old 01-02-2024, 09:08 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,540 Likes on 869 Posts

Originally Posted by NVRANUF
Interesting comments...

I have tested 2 different Soul 200 cell sport cat versions (one with HJS inserts and the other an unknown catalytic insert), both with and without spacers. Every version threw O2 sensor CELs.

I have gotten very handy clearing O2 sensor CEL codes with my code reader . No biggy!
Thats a PITA. No way to live with a mod if you are constantly clearing codes.
Old 01-03-2024, 02:50 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,191 Posts

One of the qualities that you want to pay attention to when purchasing any aftermarket Catalytic Converter is how much of the precious metal coatings they actually use. A thin coat and a converter that didn't set any codes when new, over time, will begin to.
One may agree or not with California's Law that prohibits the sale or delivery of any aftermarket automotive converter to any California address. To sell one in California the manufacturer would need to get what is called an "Executive Order" from the ARB. No Executive Order and you're simply not doing Catalytic Converter business in California. I bring this up because the reason California become such a PIA about this was because if a car failed it's smog test, the owner would slap on a new, typically budget level, aftermarket converter. Miraculously the car would then pass the emissions test. But within about six months to a year or so these Catalytic Converters would be worn out. That's why the state banned their sale. If a Catalytic Converter, either an Aftermarket or an Original Porsche Converter even begins to wear out (Federal Emissions Law), the programing of the computer not only will, it's actually required, to generate a Fault Code and turn the Check Engine Light on.
Now, if you have to use Extensions on the O2 Sensor that is downstream from the Catalytic Converter, to prevent a Check Engine Light, you're gaming the system. What you're doing is to stick this O2 Sensor in a back closet, behind the dirty laundry . . . . . and then asking it what the exhaust mixture is doing.
If a Catalytic Converter is working, the O2 Sensor after the Catalytic Converter will report very little change in the exhaust over fairly short periods of time. If a Catalytic Converter fails, the O2 Sensor that is after the converter will appear to mimic the O2 Sensor that is in front of the Catalytic Converter. This is because nothing was done to the exhaust gas when it passed through the Catalytic Converter. In a way, the two O2 Sensors are the "Before" and the "After" pictures. So what the extensions are doing is thy physically prevent the After Converter O2 Sensor from seeing the exhaust gas oscillations that would indicate a failed Catalytic Converter. Thus setting a Code or Codes and to turn the Check Engine Light on.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 01-03-2024 at 02:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
eclou (01-03-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 05:17 PM
Engro
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts

Aren't HJS 200 CATs pretty much the same?. I guess i don't understand how a vendor X is claiming their CATs is different from vendor Y. Maybe i am wrong and HJS makes different CATs for same vehicle per vendor The randomness to the CEL is probably the most annoying thing about upgrading CATs in the car. Prior to tune to remove CEL it would come up one day i clear the CEL and returns about 30 mins later other times CEL is gone for a week or more. Initially thought it was not allowing CATs to warm up before driving hard but that was not the case because sometimes i would purposely drive slow and within 15 min boom another CEL
I think someone here mentioned the CEL is consistent on MY22+ Cars. Curious if any member have MY22+ , 200 CEL CATs or less and have no CEL plus have had the car for a long time.

Last edited by Engro; 01-03-2024 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-14-2024, 02:28 PM
gassian
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Fabspeed 200cell and it does throw cel often
annoying but yea
Old 01-14-2024, 10:40 PM
Blkrse
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

I had soul performance HJS 200 sell catalytic converter and I got a check engine light I contacted soul and they sent me a new set of catalytic converters now I do not have a check engine light knock on wood as yet but I only get to drive it 40 miles so far , but I’ll like to say customer service is extremely great !
Old 01-15-2024, 01:09 AM
DemonBarber
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NVRANUF
Interesting comments...

What reader are you using to clear CELs?
Old 01-15-2024, 01:16 AM
gassian
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DemonBarber
I have the obdlink LX and works well

Last edited by gassian; 01-15-2024 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-15-2024, 06:43 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by DemonBarber
There are many inexpensive brands available that will clear O2 CEL codes, check Amazon.
This is the brand I've used, it works very well.

Old 01-15-2024, 07:05 PM
Blkrse
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Buy an OBD killer , plug it in, no lights

Quick Reply: Which Hi Flow Cats don’t throw a CEL?