Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

5 lug Turbo (s) wheel choices

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2024, 09:01 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 215 Posts

If you saw my shops, you would join the crowd that wants to stage an intervention . . . and $40K of tire equipment is not convincing anyone that I'm getting any better. But I enjoy the mechanical part of these cars as much as driving - just like the airplanes. Luckily "some" of the tools are the same . . and no risk I will die with a big savings account . . .
Old 01-22-2024, 10:34 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by f4bones
Go with the CLs - trust me, they are no big deal whatsoever, and belong on such a performance machine.
And like everywhere else in life, there's always someone with a contradictory opinion. I've had CL's on a 997.2 GTS (didn't know any better); 991.1 GT3, and a GT4RS (no choice with those cars). I made a point of making sure my 992 TTS has 5-bolt wheels. I find the CL's to be a massive inconvenience - local tire shops have no idea what to do with them - you need a breaker bar and special grease and monster torque wrench - they take longer to change (and a second person) than do 5-bolt wheels - and I can't see any advantage to them whatever.

YMMV.

Dwight Moore
'22 992 TTS
'21 Panamera Turbo S Sport Turismo
and 13 other assorted Porsches past!
Old 01-23-2024, 07:16 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,215 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by DMoore
And like everywhere else in life, there's always someone with a contradictory opinion. I've had CL's on a 997.2 GTS (didn't know any better); 991.1 GT3, and a GT4RS (no choice with those cars). I made a point of making sure my 992 TTS has 5-bolt wheels. I find the CL's to be a massive inconvenience - local tire shops have no idea what to do with them - you need a breaker bar and special grease and monster torque wrench - they take longer to change (and a second person) than do 5-bolt wheels - and I can't see any advantage to them whatever.

YMMV.

Dwight Moore
'22 992 TTS
'21 Panamera Turbo S Sport Turismo
and 13 other assorted Porsches past!
Most of that is not true if one is just slightly mechanically inclined. A simple ~$250 2ft long torque multiplier is all that is needed to be able to use a standard breaker bar and torque wrench. I use a simple piece of wood that I wedge between the driver’s seat and the brake pedal to lock the wheels for torquing so I can do the job by myself. I am now just as fast replacing centerlock wheels than 5-lugs, and that includes greasing and double torquing each nut.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 01-23-2024 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-23-2024, 08:13 AM
Engro
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts

Lug and CL is like the manual vs PDK thread. People’s minds are made up. OP asked about 5 lug wheel choices and not a dissertation on 5 lug vs CL.

OP there are many choices for 5 lug aftermarket than OE and you can get the exact offsets you want or even flush setup plus you can run wider tire choices if you want or stock tires. BC Forged, Vossen, Forgeline, HRE, BBS, etc are all well made custom choices just to name a few.

Last edited by Engro; 01-23-2024 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-23-2024, 09:13 AM
Jkb545
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

You are absolutely correct. When I started this discussion, it was a request regarding choices for five lug. However, as this discussion has progressed, and since I am mechanically inclined, I have decided to go with CL wheels. Time will tell if that’s a good decision, but undeniably, they look great!

I am planning on purchasing the RenntorQ multiplier. Currently sifting through the forums and posts to decide what additional tools I would need to complement this device. If anyone has a list, I would love to see it. Your contributions are all much appreciated!

Current build
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRAQASV1

Last edited by Jkb545; 01-23-2024 at 11:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CanAutM3 (01-23-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 09:38 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Jkb545
You are absolutely correct. When I started this discussion, it was a request regarding choices for five lug. However, as this discussion has progressed, and since I am mechanically inclined, I have decided to go with CL wheels. Time will tell if that’s a good decision, but undeniably, they look great!

I am planning on purchasing the RenntorQ multiplier. Currently sifting through the forums and posts to decide what additional tools I would need to complement this device. If anyone has a list, I would love to see it. Your contributions are all much appreciated!

Current build https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRFDZFY7
Looks like an awesome build! If it's not too late to add them, I really love the aluminum pedals and upgraded shifter I ordered. So nice. Congrats!

Old 01-23-2024, 10:26 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Right on! You will love the CL wheels . . . I'm partial to silver cars, so love your build. A few things I would add:
  • I'm not a fan of sunroofs - seem to always rattle. If you love sunroofs, stick with this. Otherwise, the carbon roof looks amazing. I have it on both my TTS and GT3,
  • I'd opt for more leather - doors and dash at a minimum. . .
  • for SURE get the PDLS+ black lights - they look amazing, and once you activate the matrix functionality, really amazing tech.
  • the larger fuel tank is a MUST
  • I also like carbon mirrors - nothing better than silver cars with lots of carbon.
  • the deviated stitching is awesome - my GT3 has it in Silver and it's GT Silver - looks amazing.
  • I like the seatbackrest in carbon fiber
  • i personally believe the burmester is worth it, but some don't think so.
  • the window trim in black w/ carbon fiber triangle trim is cool.
I've attached my build - it's a bit silly, and i didn't spec it so it has a bit more than I would have liked, but I'd only delete a few things if I had of been able to spec it myself . .
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
P_VMS_Print (53) (1).pdf (155.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 01-23-2024, 10:38 PM
Jkb545
Racer

That is pretty LOADed! Thanks for posting. I have a few weeks to go to lock date. I will consider at least some of your suggestions
Old 01-23-2024, 11:34 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,215 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by f4bones
Right on! You will love the CL wheels . . . I'm partial to silver cars, so love your build. A few things I would add:
  • I'm not a fan of sunroofs - seem to always rattle. If you love sunroofs, stick with this. Otherwise, the carbon roof looks amazing. I have it on both my TTS and GT3,
  • I'd opt for more leather - doors and dash at a minimum. . .
  • for SURE get the PDLS+ black lights - they look amazing, and once you activate the matrix functionality, really amazing tech.
  • the larger fuel tank is a MUST
  • I also like carbon mirrors - nothing better than silver cars with lots of carbon.
  • the deviated stitching is awesome - my GT3 has it in Silver and it's GT Silver - looks amazing.
  • I like the seatbackrest in carbon fiber
  • i personally believe the burmester is worth it, but some don't think so.
  • the window trim in black w/ carbon fiber triangle trim is cool.
I've attached my build - it's a bit silly, and i didn't spec it so it has a bit more than I would have liked, but I'd only delete a few things if I had of been able to spec it myself . .
Tidbit: extended fuel tank is not available on AWD 992, so not possible to get it on the turbo series.
Old 01-24-2024, 02:27 PM
Pathy
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Aluminum pedals are definitely worth it for the look alone. Same goes for Burmester audio!

Regarding the 5-lugs vs CL: if you get aftermarket wheels like HRE wheels (hrewheels.com), they do have options for both 5-lug AND CL for their popular designs, right? I see alot of these HRE wheels on 992 TTS with CL wheels, but I'm guessing they can modify them to fit either?

Old 01-24-2024, 02:32 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Yes - HRE will make you whatever you want in CL or 5 lug - my opinion is that you can get pretty much any wheel you want in both styles - here are a few photos of my HREs . . .

Old 01-24-2024, 05:03 PM
Jkb545
Racer

Looks great!👍🏻

Old 01-25-2024, 04:27 PM
Pathy
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Jkb545
Looks great!👍🏻
Nice car!

Question: it looks like you optioned the full Sport Package. In retrospect, do you feel that it was worth it going for the whole Sport Package or not? What parts of that package do you still like now? I know it adds the Carbon Fiber roof, smoke-colored wheels, black SportDesign package, and a few other things.
Old 01-25-2024, 04:50 PM
Jkb545
Racer

https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRXD4GD8

this is my current build I decided to leave rear diffuser and front in Matte black. On the side profile, the calipers, window trim and side air vents are gloss black the side skirt and mirrors are in body color.
Old 01-25-2024, 04:59 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

LOVE the sport package - definitely prefer the dark silver metallic wheels over the silver black ones - also all the black / carbon trim works well with arctic gray. The spoilers are also different and look cool. I didn't have the opportunity to spec this one - someone else did and then backed out of the deal - it had a bunch of stuff I wouldn't have purchased, but it was pretty close to my ideal specification. I got it $5K over MSRP, but really with all the "****" added in, I guess if effectively had a larger ADM. But who cares - LOVE the car!

Quick Reply: 5 lug Turbo (s) wheel choices