Coupe or Cabriolet????

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 01:07 AM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by oldboarder
All,
I’m going to buy a 2020 911 Carrera 4S. This will be my first Porsche. Should I get coupe or a cabriolet?
I am new to Porsche as well. I probably test drove 14 variations of the car (mostly CPO 991.1 and new 991.2) in the Nov-Jan timeframe including 4 cabs. I have driven quite a few convertible vehicles before and the Porsche folding top is incredible due to the magnesium panel inside the fabric - really feels solid and well sound-proofed with the top up. You have to test-drive one and see for yourself. I ended up ordering a 992 coupe a few months ago (before cab was announced) but my next 911 may well be a cab.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:46 AM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

Not that the rear seats are that useable, but is there more leg room in coupe rear seats v. cab rear seats?
Old 03-27-2019, 01:56 AM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TennisGuy
Not that the rear seats are that useable, but is there more leg room in coupe rear seats v. cab rear seats?
Leg room is the same, but the seat backs are more upright. My 9 year old is 4'6" or so and still fits, but the front passengers need to move their seats up a bit. I wouldn't think anyone over 5' would be comfortable for anything more than a short trip.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:01 PM
Zane S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had two Coupes, still have a Cab 4S, and couple years back I bought the Targa 4S, 991.2. Yes, it's a matter of personal preference; based on my experience I will always go with the Targa as my #1 choice. I just love it!
Old 03-31-2019, 01:02 PM
bmcginn
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I’ve owned both and would never buy a cabriolet again for the following reasons: 1. Driving it on an interstate with the top down sucks; 2. Even with ventilated seats and the A/C cranking it can get ridiculously hot; 3. You’ll enjoy the bright sunshine for the first 10 minutes and then you’ll start to bake; and 4. It doesn’t look as good as the Coupe when the top is up.
The following users liked this post:
SamD (03-07-2020)
Old 03-31-2019, 06:47 PM
Marshal_Mercer
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have been or are a bicycle or motorcycle rider, the answer is easy: cabriolet. If not, go with the roof.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:55 PM
bmcginn
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I ride both bicycles and motorcycles and still wouldn’t buy a cabriolet.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:16 PM
sraj
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bmcginn
I’ve owned both and would never buy a cabriolet again for the following reasons: 1. Driving it on an interstate with the top down sucks; 2. Even with ventilated seats and the A/C cranking it can get ridiculously hot; 3. You’ll enjoy the bright sunshine for the first 10 minutes and then you’ll start to bake; and 4. It doesn’t look as good as the Coupe when the top is up.
You're either a cab person or you aren't. If you are, none of the above matters.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:08 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,259 Likes on 790 Posts

I've owned both and I'll never buy a coupe again.

I agree that driving on the interstate in a cabriolet with the top down isn't all that pleasant, but it's not pleasant in a coupe either. I didn't buy my Porsche for interstate cruising. If you drive on the interstate with the windows up and the wind deflector in place, it's not bad. I like many things about the cabriolet better than the coupe. The cabriolet doesn't have the rattling sunroof that the coupe has. They don't rattle at first, but they do with some age and mileage. I've never experienced the issue above related to heat - I suppose it depends heavily on where you live. I do agree that the coupe looks slightly better than a cab with the top closed, but the cab looks excellent with the top down. And you simply cannot improve on the feeling of driving a sports car with the top open. It's fantastic.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:20 PM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 374 Likes on 211 Posts

it's a personal preference. I love cabs, I love the feel of the wind in my hair on winding roads. But as I get older my skin doesn't react as well to the sun as it used to so I would prob open the top only in the evenings or early morning, plus we only have like 4 real months of summer up here, so today it would prob end up being a waste.

in my 30's - cab
now in my 40's - coupe

😊

Originally Posted by oldboarder
All,
I’m going to buy a 2020 911 Carrera 4S. This will be my first Porsche. Should I get coupe or a cabriolet?
Old 04-03-2019, 11:50 AM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by rockrdude
it's a personal preference. I love cabs, I love the feel of the wind in my hair on winding roads. But as I get older my skin doesn't react as well to the sun as it used to so I would prob open the top only in the evenings or early morning, plus we only have like 4 real months of summer up here, so today it would prob end up being a waste.

in my 30's - cab
now in my 40's - coupe

😊
For what it’s worth, I’m in my 50’s and would still choose the open air experience (I burn under fluorescent light so sunscreen and hat mandatory in summer). Having similar weather to Mtl., I drove with my top open yesterday ! (Perhaps the Targa extends the top down season a little).
Old 04-03-2019, 12:19 PM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 374 Likes on 211 Posts

You started early , targa looks like fun

Originally Posted by Stevelev
For what it’s worth, I’m in my 50’s and would still choose the open air experience (I burn under fluorescent light so sunscreen and hat mandatory in summer). Having similar weather to Mtl., I drove with my top open yesterday ! (Perhaps the Targa extends the top down season a little).
Old 04-03-2019, 04:26 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,164 Likes on 565 Posts

I am fortunate enough to have one of each but my cab is my daily driver. So Cal is the perfect place for driving a cab daily. It can be quiet like a coupe when I want it to be but for me, driving with the top down heightens the overall driving experience. The magnificent sound of that 430 hp NA engine, the smell of the wheels and the engine oil, the sunshine, the ocean breeze. I have seat coolers for those hot summer days and seat warmers for those crisp fall mornings when I feel like driving with the top down. The wind deflector works extremely well for keeping the sound of the wind to a minimum so I can carry on a conversation without screaming and listen to music without turning it to 11. If I get tired of the ambient noise or the blazing sunshine and I just want to be in my cocoon, up goes the roof and voila, serene "coupe" driving.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:21 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
I am fortunate enough to have one of each but my cab is my daily driver. So Cal is the perfect place for driving a cab daily. It can be quiet like a coupe when I want it to be but for me, driving with the top down heightens the overall driving experience. The magnificent sound of that 430 hp NA engine, the smell of the wheels and the engine oil, the sunshine, the ocean breeze. I have seat coolers for those hot summer days and seat warmers for those crisp fall mornings when I feel like driving with the top down. The wind deflector works extremely well for keeping the sound of the wind to a minimum so I can carry on a conversation without screaming and listen to music without turning it to 11. If I get tired of the ambient noise or the blazing sunshine and I just want to be in my cocoon, up goes the roof and voila, serene "coupe" driving.
+1, and I live in Pennsylvania
Old 04-04-2019, 04:11 PM
Twodan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

+2 and I live in Massachusetts

Quick Reply: Coupe or Cabriolet????