Sponsored by:

Delivery C4S - love it!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 01:02 AM
Nick Sun
AutoX

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Delivery C4S - love it!

C4S delivered over the weekend. I spent the evening putting 3 coats of CQuartz UK 3.0 and Gliss. I installed the car seat and took the wife and kid out to dinner. Coming from a Tesla, both my wife and daughter did not like the amount to noise the engine generated but my daughter (3 years old) refuses to ride in anything but the sports car. A few interesting things I’ve learned:

1. Comfort Access is useless - should have saved my money
2. Standard Exhaust is not quiet and overpowers the BOSE stereo above 70mph. (Should I have gotten standard audio?)
3. Power is faster than I ever expected and always on tap. Coming from Tesla Model X and Model S P90Ds this is a big surprise to me.
4. Homelink cannot be programmed easily and it gets very confusing very fast. I’m not sure I’m going to ever be able to use it.

Notable Options on my car:
Dolomite Silver
Club Leather
Paldao Wood trim
Performance Options: PDCC, RAS, Sport Chrono, SPASM

Love the car and it is way more capable than my skills and I look forward to the next few years with it. Pictures in the next post.
The following 4 users liked this post by Nick Sun:
992Sam (10-08-2019), Big Swole (10-08-2019), BradleyCB (10-09-2019), slwong23 (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 01:04 AM
Nick Sun
AutoX

Default Pictures

At the dealer

Using the test drive to pick up cashiers check.

Fresh arrival!

2nd Coat of CQuartz Uk 3.0

All Coated up and put to bed.
The following 3 users liked this post by Nick Sun:
Big Swole (10-08-2019), Guaji (10-08-2019), jesm (10-08-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 01:07 AM
Nick Sun
AutoX

Poor evicted Tesla in the background

Interior looks best at night.
The following 6 users liked this post by Nick Sun:
Big Swole (10-08-2019), cr-997 (10-10-2019), Garydose (10-08-2019), Guaji (10-08-2019), Hula (10-07-2019), slwong23 (10-07-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-07-2019, 01:15 AM
Freier
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Congrats, beautiful ride!
Old 10-07-2019, 02:47 AM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

How is the applying process for the cquartz 3.0 and gloss top coat? Was thinking of DIY-ing
Old 10-07-2019, 04:04 AM
TMA
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Gorgeous color combination! Brown is such an underrated choice but looks beautiful and ages nicely.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:32 AM
geddon_jt
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a beautiful car. I see you came from a Tesla, so I have to pick your brain if you'll indulge me. I have a 3 year old Model X, goes out of warranty in around a year and due to a multitude of problems this is a car I am afraid to own out of warranty... so looking to replace it with a 911 and thinking Euro delivery around this time next year to coincide with my 15th anniversary. The Model X is a 3rd car, the other 2 being a Tundra and a Wrangler so we have other more family friendly options for the 2 kids.... notwithstanding issues my wife absolutely loves her Tesla though and would probably just want to get another one... haha. I guess Ill start with a few questions

1. how is the family adjusting to the idea?
2. is the auto start stop on each time you start the car by default
3. are you happy with the glass roof? I know my wife will want the car to feel as open and airy as possible... but personally I don't like the idea of additional complexity/weight/rigidity compromises...

Enjoy the new car
Old 10-07-2019, 09:14 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 688 Likes on 480 Posts

Interesting comment about exhaust noise. I test drove a C4S last week in city driving only (up to 50 mph) and found the car with sport exhaust to be quieter than my 991.2 with sport exhaust. I didn’t drive on the highway though. Do you know what you rpm was at speed? Was the noise “overpowering the Bose” exhaust noise, tire roar or a combination of both? Do you think you perception of noise levels is tainted by the relative silence you are used to from driving an EV?
Old 10-07-2019, 11:45 AM
Nick Sun
AutoX

Originally Posted by jkautz
How is the applying process for the cquartz 3.0 and gloss top coat? Was thinking of DIY-ing
I was quoted 2k after taxes for a paint correction and two coats of Modesta. I’ve been using CQuartz on all my cars and wanted to do something special for this one. That said, I couldn’t justify the 2k spend and I didn’t see paint correction as adding value in my eyes. The reasoning is I am not meticulous enough to need the car beyond factory delivered spec and it looked beautiful to me.

I allocated 4 hours to clay bar and put on 3 coats. Took the whole time and then some working on each panel in shifts to allow drying time. Ended up coating the glass sunroof as well. Hr 1 clay bar, Hr 2 first coat, Hr 3 second coat, Hr 4 glass roof and Gliss.

I love the result as Gliss added a bit of warmth to the ceramic coating you see only in wax. That said, wax still looks better and I see orange peel textures on the clear coat that would not be there with paint protection. I avoided clear bra because I hate the lines and feel of it. Chips are inevitable for me.

You can see subtle differences in the finished product from the pictures.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:48 AM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 414 Posts

Congratulations. Beautiful car. Enjoy it!!
Old 10-07-2019, 11:57 AM
Nick Sun
AutoX

Originally Posted by geddon_jt
That's a beautiful car. I see you came from a Tesla, so I have to pick your brain if you'll indulge me. I have a 3 year old Model X, goes out of warranty in around a year and due to a multitude of problems this is a car I am afraid to own out of warranty... so looking to replace it with a 911 and thinking Euro delivery around this time next year to coincide with my 15th anniversary. The Model X is a 3rd car, the other 2 being a Tundra and a Wrangler so we have other more family friendly options for the 2 kids.... notwithstanding issues my wife absolutely loves her Tesla though and would probably just want to get another one... haha. I guess Ill start with a few questions

1. how is the family adjusting to the idea?
2. is the auto start stop on each time you start the car by default
3. are you happy with the glass roof? I know my wife will want the car to feel as open and airy as possible... but personally I don't like the idea of additional complexity/weight/rigidity compromises...

Enjoy the new car
1. my wife abhorred the idea of not having an electric car so we didn’t trade it in. We are lucky in that we don’t need to and are happy with our 3 car combo. The intent is to avoid gas consumption and given how much I am able to drive the 911 the consumption will be very low. She supports my sports car desire and understands that in 5 years there might still not be anything that scratches that itch. I intend to trade in the Model X for another Tesla when the time is right. It’s basically a family hauler and with the 911 I’m ok with something that has broken concurrence features. It gets dirty and beat up but ... kids and dogs. I’m saving money on gas and maintenance so keeping the older (3 yrs) is a reasonable plan. If it breaks down, I expect to give Tesla another chance ... growing pains I want to support.

2. Yes but it’s predictive! I think it uses radar to detect if the car in front of you starts moving and kicks up the engine. This happens by magic and frequently does so a second or two before a light change. If the oil is colder than ideal auto stop gets disabled too. Seems like the best implementation I’ve seen but I will try to avoid keeping it enabled for as long as I can.

3. not really. This was a wife demanded option. I’d prefer to have a metal roof but I don’t feel rigidity has been compromised significantly. I can’t tell the difference because I did not to an A/B test. Overall the car handles beyond my skill level so it was a reasonable compromise for the wife. That said the interior is much brighter with the sunroof. We had to close the shade because it was too bright. That’s not a bad deal.
The following users liked this post:
geddon_jt (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 11:57 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,389 Likes on 2,510 Posts

So nice to start seeing these wonderful cars being delivered into new owners hands. And especially nice to see the trolls/haters have stop posting in the 992 Forum. Enjoy!
The following 2 users liked this post by LexVan:
992carreraS (10-07-2019), NigelPlays (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 12:04 PM
Nick Sun
AutoX

Originally Posted by kayjh
Interesting comment about exhaust noise. I test drove a C4S last week in city driving only (up to 50 mph) and found the car with sport exhaust to be quieter than my 991.2 with sport exhaust. I didn’t drive on the highway though. Do you know what you rpm was at speed? Was the noise “overpowering the Bose” exhaust noise, tire roar or a combination of both? Do you think you perception of noise levels is tainted by the relative silence you are used to from driving an EV?
I believe it’s my newness to sports cars. The closest thing I’ve had to a car this small is an A5 and G35. In both cases I found the engine noise and road noise more isolated. I would guess we were at 70db but I will do a sound measure later. Summer tires on concrete roads in average condition.

I expect more quiet coming from an EV but I am not complaining at all. I can’t hear the radio when at 40% volume and driving at speed. We are used to chatting in our EV since it’s so quiet (air suspension and conti all season insulated tires). I noted that at 1.5-2k rpm I was still hearing lots of engine noise if going uphill but much less when coasting. I’m assuming there’s some breaking in behavior or engine warn up going on that will shake out after a few more miles on the car and get familiar with it.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:51 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 688 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Sun
I believe it’s my newness to sports cars. The closest thing I’ve had to a car this small is an A5 and G35. In both cases I found the engine noise and road noise more isolated. I would guess we were at 70db but I will do a sound measure later. Summer tires on concrete roads in average condition.

I expect more quiet coming from an EV but I am not complaining at all. I can’t hear the radio when at 40% volume and driving at speed. We are used to chatting in our EV since it’s so quiet (air suspension and conti all season insulated tires). I noted that at 1.5-2k rpm I was still hearing lots of engine noise if going uphill but much less when coasting. I’m assuming there’s some breaking in behavior or engine warn up going on that will shake out after a few more miles on the car and get familiar with it.
Thanks, Nick. I think the noise you might be hearing is a bit of "drone" from the exhaust when the engine is under load. I had PSE in my last car and the PDK liked to keep the revs at around 2,200 in sport mode (regardless of speed) and under any load, the drone would enter the cabin. My test drive last week showed a much-improved sport exhaust in that regard and I found road noise at 50 mp/h to be better on worn concrete surfaces. I got rid of my last car (2017 991.2) over those issues. After reading your review about exhaust noise, I'm starting to wonder whether its any quieter, or rather it's me hoping it is so I can buy another one. The dealer says the car is measurably quieter inside than the last version though. Of course, he is in the business of selling cars and knows why I sold the last one. I've yet to see a car without PSE and its not likely I ever will in my market, so any stories I read here are helpful.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:55 PM
Jkb545
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

The drone is a nuisance for sure. In my Macan GTS, I turn on PSE only with spirited driving (sport or sport plus). At steady speeds when the drone is audible, sport or sport plus is pointless and I switch to normal mode. It would be nice if the drone was not there, but that’s my approach around it.

Quick Reply: Delivery C4S - love it!