Which interior should i choose?? Worried about wear and tear

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 12:42 AM
Poonstar
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Which interior should i choose?? Worried about wear and tear

Hi Guys,

I am debating between the slate gray with chalk stitching vs the chalk seats with slate leather dash/accents (maybe add gray stitching too but pricey)
My concern with the chalk seats is the wear and tear will be more noticeable, as i plan on keeping it for some time.
Also, the chalk might get dated but the gray is a little boring.
I plan on getting the exterior in black.
Which one should i get??

Thanks!

Last edited by Poonstar; 10-10-2019 at 02:35 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:36 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 7,745 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Avoid those dyed skinny jeans that can leave marks behind and you'll be fine.
There's also a new crop of nanocoatings/ceramics and cleaning solutions that make it easier than ever to keep interiors like this clean.

You're going to have this car for a long time -- get it with the interior that you actually want. Keep 'em clean and embrace the patina and normal wear as it happens.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
Needsdecaf (10-10-2019), Patriot (10-12-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 08:51 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 759 Likes on 276 Posts

For what it's worth, I have the Chalk and Black interior in my Panamera, my daily driver, and I haven't noticed any more wear and tear than usual. I've got 30k miles on it, and bought it in February 2018.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 10:34 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,246 Likes on 2,732 Posts

Get what you like now. Don't worry about what you may or may not like later. It's too much money to spend to be bored. You say you are going to keep it and you may -- but you may not. Modern materials are quite resilient, so I wouldn't sweat it regardless.
detansinn (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 12:25 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
Avoid those dyed skinny jeans that can leave marks behind and you'll be fine.
There's also a new crop of nanocoatings/ceramics and cleaning solutions that make it easier than ever to keep interiors like this clean.

You're going to have this car for a long time -- get it with the interior that you actually want. Keep 'em clean and embrace the patina and normal wear as it happens.
All of this.

Buy this. Put it on. Live happy! https://www.colourlock.com/all-diy-p...er-shield.html

FWIW, I have the pebble gray seats (very similar) on my 2013 and it's got 40k miles. I've used Leather Masters, no particularly aggressive schedule, and it still looks great. Tiny bit of wear on the edge of the bolster wear but hey, black wears too and you see white through it when it wears so....

I do not regret the light interior. I'm a light interior convert. Used to be black / charcoal only but after getting Gobi leather on my V70R, my BMW had Oyster, my 911 has the Pebble and the Cayenne has Umber / Tartufo (light brown). The cayenne is 6 plus years old, has 80k miles and is my wife's daily. Almost no wear. Zero regrets.
detansinn (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 01:00 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 688 Likes on 480 Posts

I'd get the darker colour if you are a blue jean wearer. the colour transfer will make the interior look worn as time goes on. You can avoid some of it my constant cleaning, but its a lot of work.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:28 PM
derekm
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

You are right, the slate is smart but rather boring. On the other hand, the chalk looks fabulous and brightens up the interior. I've had light interiors, including in a Porsche Macan, and they last very well. If you're worried, a detailer can apply some protection for you.

My 911 will have the Black/ Bordeaux red interior: I would have LOVED to have gone for the chalk interior but the exterior is that colour and the two together would have been a bit too much, I think.

Go chalk.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:49 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,203 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by derekm
You are right, the slate is smart but rather boring. On the other hand, the chalk looks fabulous and brightens up the interior. I've had light interiors, including in a Porsche Macan, and they last very well. If you're worried, a detailer can apply some protection for you.

My 911 will have the Black/ Bordeaux red interior: I would have LOVED to have gone for the chalk interior but the exterior is that colour and the two together would have been a bit too much, I think.

Go chalk.
For what its worth I saw a chalk on chalk and was shocked with how well I thought the combo worked... actually looked pretty great.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:52 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,203 Likes on 606 Posts

Chalk/Chalk Pics (not best pics but give you an idea)

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

And another

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
Old 10-10-2019, 05:59 PM
derekm
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by slc4s
Thank you so much for posting! I'd been looking for Chalk on Chalk photos and had checked Autotrader UK but there was nothing there. Now I have a decision to make before lockdown...
JacJen911 (10-22-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 08:10 PM
Poonstar
Intermediate

Thanks for the input guys.
Porsche offers the seat centres in a contrasting colour so have also thought about doing the centres slate grey and that will give it a two-tone look as well as help with the maintenance of it.
The stupid configuration tool doesn't show the change when you add it as an option so i am hesitant to get this as i am not 100% sure if it will look good or not!!!
Old 10-10-2019, 09:52 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 822 Likes on 455 Posts

I went with red because I like contrast.... and the dark gray just feels too Honda CRV to me....

If I had to chose from the two you listed, the chalk for sure... more contrast.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:50 PM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Chalk all the way.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:54 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by Poonstar
Thanks for the input guys.
Porsche offers the seat centres in a contrasting colour so have also thought about doing the centres slate grey and that will give it a two-tone look as well as help with the maintenance of it.
The stupid configuration tool doesn't show the change when you add it as an option so i am hesitant to get this as i am not 100% sure if it will look good or not!!!
Actually you'll want the opposite. Dark bolster, light interior, if you are looking to reduce maintenance. Most of the issues are on the outside, where you rub getting in and out.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:24 PM
Poonstar
Intermediate

That makes sense too. I could go with the slate gray interior and then get the chalk seat centres. Maybe add chalk seatbelts.
There is already chalk stitching with the slate gray interior so that might work well then and not as boring.

Quick Reply: Which interior should i choose?? Worried about wear and tear