Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cancel Order? Because of Corona Virus Fallout?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 09:05 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Well, hey, that's beyond awesome!

Originally Posted by AKSteve
Yep!

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infecti.../covid19/86893

“In one case, a 44-year-old white woman with a medical history of epilepsy took famotidine 80 mg three times daily for 11 days starting 4 days after first experiencing symptoms of COVID-19. She reported that after feeling very unwell at the outset, within 1 day of the first dose of famotidine, she noticed marked improvement in her shortness of breath. This improvement was matched by an increase in her home-monitored pulse oximetry-measured oxygen saturation levels, which rose from 91-95% to 97-98%. Before starting the drug, she was febrile with a temperature of 37.8°C, but was afebrile by day 7 of treatment.”
Old 06-06-2020, 01:21 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

That sounds about like what happens normally in most cases, doesn't it?
Old 06-06-2020, 04:17 AM
AKSteve
Banned

Received 815 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
That sounds about like what happens normally in most cases, doesn't it?
Kind of. As times goes on, it seems more and more like this virus isn't the deadly killer we first thought that it was. Having said that, it does still kill people. And the Pepcid idea was started from some info that was based on a New York doctor who travelled to China and noticed that the lower income Covid-19 patients were doing better than the well-off patients. After doing some digging, they found out that the lower income patients who were doing well were also taking the cheapest antacid available, which was Pepcid. Sounds goofy, but there may or may not be something to it.

The Department of Defense currently has a $20million research program that is looking into this. And after doing some digging around, I was able to come up with this info about why it may work: "a pharmacological profiling group working for the Pentagon identified the drug as a compound capable of binding to a distinctive coronavirus enzyme, potentially allowing it to disrupt the virus’ action."

All I know is I bought some and I've been taking it...because, why not? It really can't do any harm and it may very well help. I have also been taking chelated zinc and vitamin D.

Last edited by AKSteve; 06-06-2020 at 04:33 AM.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:14 PM
S4to911
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 27 Posts

It’s been a while. We know what is going on with the coronavirus, if anyone wants to know. This is a Porsche forum so I’m not quite sure its appropriate. But if there is interest I can explain some more.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:17 PM
S4to911
Instructor

Driving my 2020 992 4S Cab (got it right before they closed up PA on 3/16/20) for long rides is the only thing that kept me partially sane during the past 10 weeks of 15 hour days 7 days per week.

One bottom line. I was OK with the first 45 days of closure. Not so much the last 45, nor all the continued stuff about “second wave,” etc. Likely not happening, and if it does, will be very mild. Clue: coronavirus strains account for 45% or so of common colds.

Some ground rules: this isn’t amateur hour. I’m willing to share this stuff since I think you guys appear to be a bunch of intelligent Porsche owners. So no ad hominem, “who the f are you” nonsense. If you don’t like what I am saying, criticize the idea, come armed with data, but don’t attack me.

Why am I doing this? Why not? I need a break. So if there is interest, let me know. Don’t worry who I am.
The following 3 users liked this post by S4to911:
daddyscar (06-07-2020), kwikit356 (06-07-2020), markchristenson (06-06-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 10:46 PM
S4to911
Instructor

The virus attacks a series of cells in the body. They are the pneumocytes of the lung, endothelial cells that line blood vessels of organs, and a master cells of the immune system called the dendritic cell. They enter these cells through not only the ACE2 receptor everyone knows about, but another co-receptor for sugars on the viral coat called DC-SIGN. When this happens the immune system becomes confused, and causes all the problems we see in this disease. Most people with strong immune systems clear the virus in a few days and don’t make antibodies. If you are older, have COPD, diabetes, and certain immunodeficiencies it is harder to clear the virus and your immune system overcompensates and makes lots of antibodies around day 7. This can cause the cytokine storm and get you in trouble.

Certain things can alter the way the virus lives in these cells for certain reasons. They interrupt a cellular process called autophagy. Pepcid, zinc, vitamin D, ivermectin, and even HCQ could work among other things. Also as time goes on the virus gains mutations which make it weaker, meaning that the pandemic should end sooner than we think. Will it come back? Not known, but SARS really did only once many years later, and this virus is most related to SARS.

That’s it in a nutshell.

The following 4 users liked this post by S4to911:
AKSteve (06-07-2020), kwikit356 (06-07-2020), LnC993 (06-07-2020), markchristenson (06-06-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 10:57 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,240 Likes on 2,730 Posts

Originally Posted by S4to911
The virus attacks a series of cells in the body. They are the pneumocytes of the lung, endothelial cells that line blood vessels of organs, and a master cells of the immune system called the dendritic cell. They enter these cells through not only the ACE2 receptor everyone knows about, but another co-receptor for sugars on the viral coat called DC-SIGN. When this happens the immune system becomes confused, and causes all the problems we see in this disease. Most people with strong immune systems clear the virus in a few days and don’t make antibodies. If you are older, have COPD, diabetes, and certain immunodeficiencies it is harder to clear the virus and your immune system overcompensates and makes lots of antibodies around day 7. This can cause the cytokine storm and get you in trouble.

Certain things can alter the way the virus lives in these cells for certain reasons. They interrupt a cellular process called autophagy. Pepcid, zinc, vitamin D, ivermectin, and even HCQ could work among other things. Also as time goes on the virus gains mutations which make it weaker, meaning that the pandemic should end sooner than we think. Will it come back? Not known, but SARS really did only once many years later, and this virus is most related to SARS.

That’s it in a nutshell.
I am hearing and seeing the same. A possible decline in potency. No one wants to say it out loud.

Ironically, immunosuppression (at least with biologics) doesn't seem to result in worse outcomes. Given the pathophysiology, it probably makes sense. If you pull the fuse, the bomb doesn't go off.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:02 PM
sali1980
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by S4to911

That’s it in a nutshell.
Please stop pushing HQC as all large studies have shown it doesn’t work. I know we debated 2 months ago about hqc and data is crap!

Old 06-06-2020, 11:17 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sali1980
Please stop pushing HQC as all large studies have shown it doesn’t work. I know we debated 2 months ago about hqc and data is crap!
HCQ continues to be pushed pretty aggressively in India for healthcare worker prophylaxis. The big Lancet study was redacted due to the Surgisphere fiasco, but other trials including a recent 4600 person RCT have failed to show efficacy.

Nonetheless, there are a slew of repurposed drugs and interventions that show real promise. I am cautiously optimistic that we'll have meaningful options this fall.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:25 PM
AKSteve
Banned

Originally Posted by rk-d
I am hearing and seeing the same. A possible decline in potency. No one wants to say it out loud.
There's a French virologis Luc Montagnier who thinks this virus was manufactured in an attempt to come up with a vaccine for AIDS. Then it was accidentally let loose on the world due to a lab accident. His theory is that the virus is losing its potency because nature is quickly deleting the non-natural, manmade structures of the virus and the virus is reverting back to it's original not-so-deadly form.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:30 PM
AKSteve
Banned

At this point, I think people are only holding out hope for Hydroxychloriquine if it is shown to work when used early and when used in combination with zinc and ZPak. I haven't seen a study that shows that it doesn't work when used in the right way at the right time. I think one is due to be released soon.

I do think there are some people out there who don't want it to work because it has the potential to eliminate the common cold and all other coronaviruses. I don't know if you remember the old Chris Rock joke about how we haven't cured anything since Polio. Btw, the President of El Salvador let it slip a while back that he and all the other leaders of the world are taking it.
Old 06-07-2020, 03:25 PM
Metalblond
Pro

Received 401 Likes on 228 Posts

HCQ and ZPak was given to my friend's older brother who was on a vent for almost 3 weeks with the virus (they threw everything at him since they didn't think he would make it--this was at the end of March). He lived to tell about it. Whether it works or not, no one will know, but he is home now.
The following users liked this post:
markchristenson (06-07-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 03:33 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AKSteve
At this point, I think people are only holding out hope for Hydroxychloriquine if it is shown to work when used early and when used in combination with zinc and ZPak. I haven't seen a study that shows that it doesn't work when used in the right way at the right time. I think one is due to be released soon.

I do think there are some people out there who don't want it to work because it has the potential to eliminate the common cold and all other coronaviruses. I don't know if you remember the old Chris Rock joke about how we haven't cured anything since Polio. Btw, the President of El Salvador let it slip a while back that he and all the other leaders of the world are taking it.
Originally Posted by Metalblond
HCQ and ZPak was given to my friend's older brother who was on a vent for almost 3 weeks with the virus (they threw everything at him since they didn't think he would make it--this was at the end of March). He lived to tell about it. Whether it works or not, no one will know, but he is home now.
HCQ or not, it's great to hear about a recovery.

That said, the data just isn't there. I don't write it for my patients with COVID19 and I would not give it to my family. Meanwhile, the patients who actually need this drug have struggled to get it and are subjected to delayed refills from prior authorization demands and rationed supplies.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:57 PM
Metalblond
Pro

Received 401 Likes on 228 Posts

Like I said, I'm not sure if it helped but he is alive and well now. He was one of the earlier diagnoses and he was doing so poorly they agreed to try everything that they could.
I know a few people who have had to take HCQ due to travel and malaria--one very long term. It is scary to think that the people who really need it cannot get it because of people stockpiling-- but that seems to be true with everything now, unfortunately.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:57 PM
S4to911
Instructor

As I said this isn’t amateur hour. When you make a statement like that you need to back it up with data. Guys like me do trials like the HCQ ones for a living. If you have data to back up that assertion let’s see it. I can tell you having reviewed all the data that you don’t.

PS: whether HCQ works or not isn’t the issue. It’s the underlying theory, my man. It predicts for lots of stuff other than HCQ. We are waiting for a trial from Northwell in Long Island.

Quick Reply: Cancel Order? Because of Corona Virus Fallout?