Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you pay for car insurance

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 04:35 PM
carsrmyvice
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

About 1200 a year. Daily driver est. 10k miles. Coverage is whatever is needed to meet my umbrella. 300k I believe. Age 32.
Old 02-16-2021, 04:53 PM
gaoyuancl
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

2870 USD... but i registered under commercial policy.....
Old 02-16-2021, 05:47 PM
LASDSGT770
Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by russbert
It's also the benefit (for ONCE) of being older.
Not once you turn 75...Rates jump substantially as they feel reflexes, eyesight, mobility, etc. diminishes. Sadly they lump us all into one without taking into your individual health, which plays a huge roll in capabilities of driving. Neither myself nor wife have had a ticket or accident in over 60 years which plays a small role in our rates. (knock on wood) I totally admit, some my age should not even be driving, especially a sports car.

Last edited by LASDSGT770; 02-16-2021 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:20 PM
KG-Virus
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

for "full coverage and dealer repair" I was quoted 7,274.50USD a year.
I live in Kuwait and insurances have a monopoly
Old 02-16-2021, 06:22 PM
992brian
Advanced

Received 117 Likes on 45 Posts

I have coverage with Farmers bundled with home and car currently. Adding the 911 base Carrera with the following policy: 100/300/100, 100/300 UIM, 500/1000 deductible would cost me about $2060 for the year. 30, no tickets/accidents. Reading through some of this with the umbrella policy I am wondering if I should get a 2million dollar umbrella coverage or something. Is there a substantial benefit for umbrella coverage and what what are usually the added premiums?

Last edited by 992brian; 02-17-2021 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:02 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,897 Likes on 772 Posts

Reading this thread is interesting. Since everyone here has a 992 (except me... yet) you either have substantial assets or high cash flow, but so many are underinsured from a liability standpoint. Everyone in this thread and in these forums need to have high liability limits and a personal liability umbrella policy of at least $2 million and likely higher. If you seriously injure or kill someone or a few people, and you own significant assets, there is not a chance in hell the injured parties would ever settle for the measly $100K liability limits or even the $500K liability limits. Adding additional liability coverage above $100K is relatively cheap and adding a $2 million umbrella policy is usually around $350 or so per year. That's how much my umbrella policy was in both Irivne, CA and Gilbert, AZ. That's super cheap peace of mind for an additional $2 million in coverage. The umbrella policy also sits on top of your homeowner's insurance policy too so it doesn't just cover auto accidents, but also things like dog bites, slip and falls on your property, and a bunch of other stuff like if you're out on a bike ride along the beach and you run into a pedestrian or something.

Bottom line is, if you're a Porsche owner, you may be a target and you need to protect yourself and your assets.
The following users liked this post:
mikey94025 (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 02:21 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,897 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by 992brian
I have coverage with Farmers bundled 2 homes and 1 car currently. Adding the 911 base Carrera with the following policy: 100/300/100, 100/300 UIM, 500/1000 deductible would cost me about $2060 for the year. Age 29, no tickets/accidents. Reading through some of this with the umbrella policy I am wondering if I should get a 2million dollar umbrella coverage or something. Is there a substantial benefit for umbrella coverage and what what are usually the added premiums?
So you're a 29 yr old w/ a Porsche and you own 2 homes. Way to go! You are ahead of the game. Yes. Definitely get an umbrella policy and you should at minimum get $2 million. Depending on your asset situation, I may even step up to $3 million or $5 million. Get some quotes and see how much it costs. The initial milliion cost the most and each additional million is usually cheaper. BTW $100K is woefully inadequate for property liability coverage. THink about if you're at cars an coffe and your run into a lightly optioned 992 base carrera. That's like $120K alone in damage right there! LOL. Or what if you run into someone's Pagani Huayra? Or a Ferrari? Yup that $100K property damage coverage is woefully lacking to pay damages alone not even considering daily loss of use of an exotic. The umbrella policy would kick in to pay damages above $100K.

Some people may think they're careful and don't drive crazy so they don't need all this liability coverage, but you never know what could happen. For example, if you and your friends are out at dinner and drinking and you're all a bit drunk, but your friend is the least drunk and you let him drive you home in your car and your friend kills someone, depending on what state you're in, you could be personally liable even though your friend was driving.

There's also a ton of other odd scenarios that an umbrella policy may kick in, or at least pay for your defense (which oftentimes would actually cost more than the liability coverage itself because attorney fees are not cheap). For example, if you have kids and they get into an argument or fight at school and you and your kid gets sued, the umbrella policy *may* provide a defense and also protect you from liability (assuming your kid didn't actually assault and batter someone), or your kid plays basketball and runs over another kid whose parents sue you guys for giving their kid a brain injury or something, your homeowners and umbrella policy would kick in to provide coverage and defense.

Depending on which insurance company you buy your policy from, it may even cover stuff like defamation - like if you or your kid or your wife posts something on facebook about someone and that other person sues you for defamation or cyber-bullying, depending on the facts of what happened, there *may* be coverage provided by your umbrella policy (you'd have to read the policy to see what it covers and it really depends on a case by case basis). I've also seen umbrella policies cover people accused of rape. For example, you hook up w/ a girl, afterwards, she wants to leave and you tell her "please just stay over" and you stand in her way for a second. She then turns around after, knows you're a 29 yr old baller with a sweet mansion, and sues you accusing you of rape and "false imprisonment" because you wouldn't let her leave even though you, of course, let her pass after telling her to please just stay. Well, the policy obviously doesn't cover sexual assault, but it may cover false imprisonment so your umbrella policy would provide you with a defense of the entire civil action, including the rape allegations and your insurance company would try hard to settle the whole claim even though rape isn't covered. I've seen this exact scenario happen to a rich tech guy in silicon valley who got set up on a blind date through a "millionaire" dating service.

So, as you can see, the umbrella policy is very useful and it's not to say you would actually go and rape people or your kids would beat up other kids in school and what not, but you can see how something as innocent as a facebook post, or a tweet, or biking along the beach and accidentally bumping into a 70 yr old and knocking him down causing servere injuries, can be something that happens which your homeowners policy and umbrella policy would kick in to defend and cover you.

Bottom line again, if you have assets, you are a target and the umbrella policy is very cheap insurance to protect yourself and your assets.

Last edited by AlterZgo; 02-17-2021 at 02:23 AM.
marrast (01-15-2022)
Old 02-17-2021, 03:43 AM
mrmichaelsankey
Racer

Received 241 Likes on 147 Posts

Amazing how global costs are so different.
UK costs.
Wife 39yrs, Macan Turbo, no accidents, pretty much as much cover as you can get, £360.
Me 42yrs, 992 C4S, no accidents or endorsements, same on coverage, £640.

Now her old 2l discovery sport, high theft potential, £780!
My old f10 M5, £760.

The car’s risk level, where you live, history, level of cover, age, miles, it all adds up quickly!
aggie57 (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 05:56 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 405 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
So you're a 29 yr old w/ a Porsche and you own 2 homes. Way to go! You are ahead of the game. Yes. Definitely get an umbrella policy and you should at minimum get $2 million. Depending on your asset situation, I may even step up to $3 million or $5 million. Get some quotes and see how much it costs. The initial milliion cost the most and each additional million is usually cheaper. BTW $100K is woefully inadequate for property liability coverage. THink about if you're at cars an coffe and your run into a lightly optioned 992 base carrera. That's like $120K alone in damage right there! LOL. Or what if you run into someone's Pagani Huayra? Or a Ferrari? Yup that $100K property damage coverage is woefully lacking to pay damages alone not even considering daily loss of use of an exotic. The umbrella policy would kick in to pay damages above $100K.

Some people may think they're careful and don't drive crazy so they don't need all this liability coverage, but you never know what could happen. For example, if you and your friends are out at dinner and drinking and you're all a bit drunk, but your friend is the least drunk and you let him drive you home in your car and your friend kills someone, depending on what state you're in, you could be personally liable even though your friend was driving.

There's also a ton of other odd scenarios that an umbrella policy may kick in, or at least pay for your defense (which oftentimes would actually cost more than the liability coverage itself because attorney fees are not cheap). For example, if you have kids and they get into an argument or fight at school and you and your kid gets sued, the umbrella policy *may* provide a defense and also protect you from liability (assuming your kid didn't actually assault and batter someone), or your kid plays basketball and runs over another kid whose parents sue you guys for giving their kid a brain injury or something, your homeowners and umbrella policy would kick in to provide coverage and defense.

Depending on which insurance company you buy your policy from, it may even cover stuff like defamation - like if you or your kid or your wife posts something on facebook about someone and that other person sues you for defamation or cyber-bullying, depending on the facts of what happened, there *may* be coverage provided by your umbrella policy (you'd have to read the policy to see what it covers and it really depends on a case by case basis). I've also seen umbrella policies cover people accused of rape. For example, you hook up w/ a girl, afterwards, she wants to leave and you tell her "please just stay over" and you stand in her way for a second. She then turns around after, knows you're a 29 yr old baller with a sweet mansion, and sues you accusing you of rape and "false imprisonment" because you wouldn't let her leave even though you, of course, let her pass after telling her to please just stay. Well, the policy obviously doesn't cover sexual assault, but it may cover false imprisonment so your umbrella policy would provide you with a defense of the entire civil action, including the rape allegations and your insurance company would try hard to settle the whole claim even though rape isn't covered. I've seen this exact scenario happen to a rich tech guy in silicon valley who got set up on a blind date through a "millionaire" dating service.

So, as you can see, the umbrella policy is very useful and it's not to say you would actually go and rape people or your kids would beat up other kids in school and what not, but you can see how something as innocent as a facebook post, or a tweet, or biking along the beach and accidentally bumping into a 70 yr old and knocking him down causing servere injuries, can be something that happens which your homeowners policy and umbrella policy would kick in to defend and cover you.

Bottom line again, if you have assets, you are a target and the umbrella policy is very cheap insurance to protect yourself and your assets.
I agree that if you have substantial assets to protect, you need an umbrella policy, preferably at least $5M. Also keep in mind that most umbrella carriers will require that you have $500K underlying liability coverage, which is a substantial bump in cost over the $100K that you carry now.
Old 02-17-2021, 06:05 PM
992brian
Advanced

Received 117 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Way to go! You are ahead of the game. Yes. Definitely get an umbrella policy and you should at minimum get $2 million. Depending on your asset situation, I may even step up to $3 million or $5 million. Get some quotes and see how much it costs.

Thanks for the kind words. The examples you had made good sense, I've kicked off the discussion on the umbrella insurance with my insurance company. Was fortunate to have a good job, parents that were very supportive, and making other more or less wise decisions. I am far from where I want to be but will keep chugging at it. This car is a tough cost to swallow when the money isn't going to investments, but having close friends being diagnosed with illnesses and terminal illnesses, I don't know how long I'll be on this earth so might as well.

Last edited by 992brian; 02-17-2021 at 06:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 992brian:
1997hmc993 (02-25-2021), AlterZgo (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 08:02 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 224 Posts

I'm fortunate to live in GA where I've got a policy on my GT4 through https://www.porscheautoinsurance.com/

I pay by the mile on an agreed value and it seems to be saving me money over the past year.

I also have an umbrella policy (and our Q7+Tundra) via Geico. My 240z is insured via Haggerty.

Now Geico is telling me that I'll need to insure ALL my cars through Geico to keep the umbrella policy. I guess it's time to dump Geico altogether. Such BS. Anyone know of a good umbrella policy carrier that does not require all your autos are also insured with the same company?

Last edited by GeoJoe; 02-17-2021 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:15 PM
ngamountains
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
I'm fortunate to live in GA where I've got a policy on my GT4 through https://www.porscheautoinsurance.com/

I pay by the mile on an agreed value and it seems to be saving me money over the past year.

I also have an umbrella policy (and our Q7+Tundra) via Geico. My 240z is insured via Haggerty.

Now Geico is telling me that I'll need to insure ALL my cars through Geico to keep the umbrella policy. I guess it's time to dump Geico altogether. Such BS. Anyone know of a good umbrella policy carrier that does not require all your autos are also insured with the same company?
I don’t have a good answer for you, but thought I’d read your reply since I knew you were in Georgia, as am I. Just thought I’d mention I’m with State Farm, and they’re the same way, no umbrella without insuring all the underlying liabilities (cars). I, as you, will be interested to hear of others that do it differently.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:24 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 224 Posts

I’d prefer to keep both Haggerty and Porsche Auto Insurance and not have to be forced to consolidate.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:52 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 914 Posts

Currently have a 2015 Macan S, a 2018 Volvo XC90 R Design and an 08 997.1 C4S Cab. I went into my insurance to get a quote on the incoming 992 C2S Coupe, and given everything, knock on wood, I couldn't get a final quote since I don't have a VIN yet, but the delta in replacing my Cab was $50 a year. For 2 drivers on the 3 vehicles I think we are $3,600 a year. But I also estimate mileage per vehicle. I believe I have the 992 at 6k mileage per year.
Old 02-17-2021, 10:02 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
Currently have a 2015 Macan S, a 2018 Volvo XC90 R Design and an 08 997.1 C4S Cab. I went into my insurance to get a quote on the incoming 992 C2S Coupe, and given everything, knock on wood, I couldn't get a final quote since I don't have a VIN yet, but the delta in replacing my Cab was $50 a year. For 2 drivers on the 3 vehicles I think we are $3,600 a year. But I also estimate mileage per vehicle. I believe I have the 992 at 6k mileage per year.
You can use a vin number from a similarly equipped car listed by a dealer to get a better estimate on your incoming 992 insurance.

Quick Reply: What do you pay for car insurance