Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSE function and necessity for resale

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 01:07 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,714 Likes on 1,438 Posts

I'm one of those that doesn't go for the sports exhaust, I prefer the quad tips and really don't like the extra noise it makes. To me the standard car is plenty noisy enough, and it's a nice sound too. And as others say it can be added later for a reasonable cost.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:14 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,301 Likes on 1,447 Posts

I'm on the other side of the spectrum. I think the 992 cabin is quite refined & a little too quiet for my taste. PSE helps open the car up, and at the very least; makes it more lively. YMMV
The following users liked this post:
aggie57 (06-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 01:51 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 7,799 Likes on 2,902 Posts

The 992 sounds legit good with the PSE. I'm very happy with it.
aggie57 (06-17-2020)
Old 06-28-2020, 06:41 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 751 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexCarreraS
The PSE works with any of the exhaust tips (rectangular, quad, or oval). None of the tips actually attach to the exhaust, but rather are held in place by the rear valence, so when adding the PSE later you don't have to change out the rear valence or tips (unless you just want the oval and then it would require a new valence and tips which are pretty expensive). You can by a new PSE for less than $3,000 and sometimes you can find one for sale that has been removed to install an aftermarket exhaust (there's one currently for sale on this forum for $1,795 + $100 shipping). A dealer will typically charge about $1,000 to install a PSE and program the valves.
Good info to have but I would double check to be sure as Porsche has a way of making things much more difficult at the models advance. I have PSE re-wired on my 997.2 and it was easy to do mechanically but costly. Had the same thing done on my 991.1 and it cost me even more but then again that ability to turn on/off the valves (aka exhaust sounds) was well worth it especially with the Akraprovic aftermarket exhaust I put on the car. Would be great if for the 992 its just a matter of adding the exhaust and the valves and wiring and programing but be sure as doesn't the 992 not have the PSE button on the dash but PSE is activated either by the ECU at certain revs or via a menu in the PCM? If so would definitely double check the add on cost and functionality 1st before assuming it can be added afterwards as before.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU992PSE.html​​​​​​

On the positive note looks like Suncoast sells it as an upgrade option including new valance needed for tips so should be doable...but add at least $1500 to $2500 likely in labor for dealer to add it and program on top of the $3685 price they charge. At that cost..get it from the dealer as an option on the car at what $2900 or so would be my choice.
smiles11 (06-28-2020)
Old 06-28-2020, 11:51 AM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 405 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Good info to have but I would double check to be sure as Porsche has a way of making things much more difficult at the models advance. I have PSE re-wired on my 997.2 and it was easy to do mechanically but costly. Had the same thing done on my 991.1 and it cost me even more but then again that ability to turn on/off the valves (aka exhaust sounds) was well worth it especially with the Akraprovic aftermarket exhaust I put on the car. Would be great if for the 992 its just a matter of adding the exhaust and the valves and wiring and programing but be sure as doesn't the 992 not have the PSE button on the dash but PSE is activated either by the ECU at certain revs or via a menu in the PCM? If so would definitely double check the add on cost and functionality 1st before assuming it can be added afterwards as before.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU992PSE.html​​​​​​

On the positive note looks like Suncoast sells it as an upgrade option including new valance needed for tips so should be doable...but add at least $1500 to $2500 likely in labor for dealer to add it and program on top of the $3685 price they charge. At that cost..get it from the dealer as an option on the car at what $2900 or so would be my choice.
As you indicated in your last paragraph, it is definitely doable on the 992, no question. The $3,295 cost of the PSE from Suncoast includes the oval tips and the new valence which you would not need (just keep the original tips, rectangular or quad), so the cost would be much less for just the exhaust. I discussed this with my dealer and was told it could be done for about $1,000 in labor, YMMV. I really think the cost to do this would be $3,500-$4,000--yes, that's more than the $2,950 option price, but this gives someone the ability to go with the standard exhaust initially, if that's what they want, and then convert to PSE later for resale (if necessary, which is debatable) for a reasonable premium. That was the point of my post and the initial subject of the thread--the OP did not want the PSE.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:34 PM
Phillip Berk
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 62 Posts

To me PSE is an odd option, higly debated, I personally don't think I would spec it purely because I would almost 100% do an aftermarket exhaust, in my eyes even PSE is a little too tame for me especially on the turbo cars. if you are going to keep it stock then I would option unless you really didn't like the look. In my eyes its pretty simple, no one is not going to not buy a car because it HAS pse, but if someone is in between two cars and one has it and the other doesn't and thats the biggest differentiating factor, I know which car I'd rather be selling, and if you aren't into having a louder exhaust ( not that by any means PSE is loud in my eyes, compared to my Sport exhaust on my F-type S which is louder then PSE ever has been) you can always just turn it off. to recapp, unless it's the looks that really bother you, I would spec PSE, ( side note, my buddy is currently looking to purchase a 991.2 and for him he doesn't care, he'd prefer it sure, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker as he would go aftermarket if it didn't have it, another friend a couple months back, refused to get a car without it, and even when he got PSE ripped out within a week for a soul setup, just wanted it the button and the Option.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:02 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Phillip Berk
To me PSE is an odd option, higly debated, I personally don't think I would spec it purely because I would almost 100% do an aftermarket exhaust, in my eyes even PSE is a little too tame for me especially on the turbo cars. if you are going to keep it stock then I would option unless you really didn't like the look. In my eyes its pretty simple, no one is not going to not buy a car because it HAS pse, but if someone is in between two cars and one has it and the other doesn't and thats the biggest differentiating factor, I know which car I'd rather be selling, and if you aren't into having a louder exhaust ( not that by any means PSE is loud in my eyes, compared to my Sport exhaust on my F-type S which is louder then PSE ever has been) you can always just turn it off. to recapp, unless it's the looks that really bother you, I would spec PSE, ( side note, my buddy is currently looking to purchase a 991.2 and for him he doesn't care, he'd prefer it sure, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker as he would go aftermarket if it didn't have it, another friend a couple months back, refused to get a car without it, and even when he got PSE ripped out within a week for a soul setup, just wanted it the button and the Option.
For me that is the appeal...at some point we all sell the cars and if PSE gets more looks thats fine in part. However the biggest one for me is sound and the option it gives me to turn it on/off using the PSE button. Sometimes I do want to be loud and sometimes I don't...ECU and rpm's not withstanding.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:07 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

As you indicated in your last paragraph, it is definitely doable on the 992, no question. The $3,295 cost of the PSE from Suncoast includes the oval tips and the new valence which you would not need (just keep the original tips, rectangular or quad), so the cost would be much less for just the exhaust. I discussed this with my dealer and was told it could be done for about $1,000 in labor, YMMV. I really think the cost to do this would be $3,500-$4,000--yes, that's more than the $2,950 option price, but this gives someone the ability to go with the standard exhaust initially, if that's what they want, and then convert to PSE later for resale (if necessary, which is debatable) for a reasonable premium. That was the point of my post and the initial subject of the thread--the OP did not want the PSE.
Yes having added it before on my own as I've stated to cars I agree. It is nice to add as an aftermarket option. Also at some point, I assume parts will be offered to do the rewire/re-installation as with a non PSE car you'd want to add the motors for the valves if you decided to go with another exhaust that had that option. That may be a lesser cost since you'd buy everything BUT the sport exhaust itself which would save some cost for some. At that point it would be more like probably $2500 or so for parts and labor and programming plus whichever exhaust you added other than PSE (i.e. Akrapovic, Soul, Cargraphic, Amytrix, etc).
Old 06-29-2020, 05:24 AM
French Blue
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

No option can help you pocket more money at the end of the day. That is not to say there are not desirable options, of course there are. But the added dollars an option will impart your car in terms of resale value will not cancel out what you paid for said option in the first place. There are no options that will magically reduce the depreciation of a vehicle.

One caveat with the 992 would be the manual transmission, which is not technically an option, but hear me out. Manuals can certainly help how quickly a modern used 911 sells, insomuch as sticks are rare, and there are always people who really like them. That doesn’t mean the car sells for more than an otherwise identically equipped automatic, just that it might move faster. However, the fact that the 992 manual comes bundled with the Sport Chrono package (usually a $2790 option), means that it could technically sell for slightly more than an identically priced PDK car with otherwise identical options except for Sport Chrono. Time will tell.

In any event, the general rule of thumb with options is that they can only hurt resale. Your bright green stitching on yellow seats, crazy optional exterior paint, etc. etc.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:23 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,714 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Originally Posted by French Blue
No option can help you pocket more money at the end of the day. That is not to say there are not desirable options, of course there are. But the added dollars an option will impart your car in terms of resale value will not cancel out what you paid for said option in the first place. There are no options that will magically reduce the depreciation of a vehicle.

One caveat with the 992 would be the manual transmission, which is not technically an option, but hear me out. Manuals can certainly help how quickly a modern used 911 sells, insomuch as sticks are rare, and there are always people who really like them. That doesn’t mean the car sells for more than an otherwise identically equipped automatic, just that it might move faster. However, the fact that the 992 manual comes bundled with the Sport Chrono package (usually a $2790 option), means that it could technically sell for slightly more than an identically priced PDK car with otherwise identical options except for Sport Chrono. Time will tell.

In any event, the general rule of thumb with options is that they can only hurt resale. Your bright green stitching on yellow seats, crazy optional exterior paint, etc. etc.
Much sense spoken here. Options always, always, always depreciate faster than a base car. Pay $5k for a fancy paint job? The next buyer treats it as a bonus. Buy what you want and can afford, not what the sales person tries to sell you.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:34 AM
carsrmyvice
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Now that I’ve taken delivery and my 992 happens to have pse I would def spec it lol but I don’t have any illusions about getting that money back on the other end. Options remain largely dead money.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:34 AM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Yes having added it before on my own as I've stated to cars I agree. It is nice to add as an aftermarket option. Also at some point, I assume parts will be offered to do the rewire/re-installation as with a non PSE car you'd want to add the motors for the valves if you decided to go with another exhaust that had that option. That may be a lesser cost since you'd buy everything BUT the sport exhaust itself which would save some cost for some. At that point it would be more like probably $2500 or so for parts and labor and programming plus whichever exhaust you added other than PSE (i.e. Akrapovic, Soul, Cargraphic, Amytrix, etc).
My understanding is that the standard exhaust has the same motors and valves as the PSE, it's just not programmed for manual operation with a button. The valves open automatically at certain RPM's based on the mode you're in.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:08 PM
sweylo
Advanced

Received 90 Likes on 32 Posts

My understanding is that the standard exhaust has the same motors and valves as the PSE, it's just not programmed for manual operation with a button. The valves open automatically at certain RPM's based on the mode you're in.
So when we order the PSE we're basically paying $2,950 for a button?
Old 06-29-2020, 01:00 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Originally Posted by sweylo
So when we order the PSE we're basically paying $2,950 for a button?
No, the exhaust itself is also different.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:32 PM
leaf345
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by French Blue

This really varies. I've seen manual 991.2s that were well spec'd and well priced sit for months. Quite a few people buy these cars as DDs or something approximating a DD, and the amount of people willing to tolerate a manual transmission for those duties is dwindling.

For the OP, when i was looking for a used 991.2, almost all of them had PSE equipped. With that being said, a lot of them also sat for months without being sold so I wouldn't factor this into your decision. I didn't like PSE and gladly skipped it when I spec'd my own car.
French Blue (06-29-2020)

Quick Reply: PSE function and necessity for resale