PSE function and necessity for resale

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 11:52 PM
P992
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PSE function and necessity for resale

Two questions regarding PSE:
  1. My understanding is that PSE only changes the sound of the car. Specifically, the engine is louder and maybe raspier. It does nothing performance-wise. Is this true? (If it is true, I definitely am not interested in the option. The car is already loud enough.)
  2. I've had several dealers claim that PSE is a must have option for resale even if I don't want it myself.
    1. Is the demand out there that strong for PSE?
    2. If it is, can't it be added after the sale?
I realize an obvious answer to #2 is just buy what you want and forget about the next owner. But I'd like to make sure I know what I'm forsaking and whether I'm painting myself into a corner by skipping the option. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:03 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,282 Likes on 2,749 Posts

I wouldn’t buy a used 911 without it. I do think it helps resale.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:07 AM
seanhaus
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 150 Posts

Performance is negligible. Sound depends on the person - I personally think it sounds (and looks) much better. You are spending 100k+... what is another 3k, unless you dislike the aesthetics of it.

If you are going to try to resale it on your own, the lack of SC and PSE will likely have you waiting for the right buyer looking for a stripper build. If you plan on returning it to a dealer for the next thing, I wouldn't really worry about it.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:32 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,016 Likes on 4,868 Posts

Just noise.

Helps resale.

You decide.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:54 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,616 Likes on 775 Posts

If you don't like it and don't want it, then leave it off your order. It's the same situation as sunroofs, leather, standard sound systems vs. upgrades...some SAs would have you believe a car in unsaleable unless it has the options THEY want. I could certainly live without PSE and would buy a car without it (and like some here actually prefer the 4-pipe tip), however in the case of a C4 the Sport Package gets you PTv+ and Sport Chrono (both of which I wanted) bundled with SE (which I could take or leave) for only $700 Can. more than PTV+ and SC as standalone options. The beauty of SE is that it can be turned on and off.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:20 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,171 Likes on 568 Posts

If you are buying the car with the inclination you might sell it, then I would spec it. It is good to have options and while some won't care, others will when considering your car for sale. I personally prefer my GTS without the PSE engaged as I prefer the more understated (natural) sound of the engine, minus the cracks and pops. In my GT3, the difference in the sound with PSE on and off is negligible and I usually leave it off there as well. Of course, in both the GTS and GT3, PSE is standard. The nice thing about adding it to your build is the future buyer can use it or not use it. It is not like spec'ing the car in racing yellow which you can't turn on or off and is an all-or-nothing proposition.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:36 AM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 405 Likes on 230 Posts

Yes, PSE can be added later for about $1,000 more then the option price, so no effect on resale (if you're worried about that).
The standard exhaust quad tips look much better IMHO (which you still get to keep if you decide to add PSE later).
No performance enhancement with PSE.
The car sounds amazing with the standard exhaust and, as you said, is loud enough.
The following users liked this post:
Schwarz992C4S (06-29-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 06:51 AM
SeanWRT
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Although there're plenty not buying without PSE, the people that don't care are many enough to not hurt the resale value.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:13 AM
TheStanman
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexCarreraS
Yes, PSE can be added later for about $1,000 more then the option price, so no effect on resale (if you're worried about that)
Is that true for the 992? While that was the case for the 991, I thought it was more difficult/expensive for the 992 due to the integration into the rear body parts.

Personally, I don't believe that it impacts resale that much. I think it's a just upsell tactic by the dealer.
​​
Old 06-17-2020, 08:39 AM
carsrmyvice
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I call BS on it hurting resale. Honestly I typically end up trading my cars in rather than private sale in which case the best result is going to be with a white/silver etc low spec base C2 every time. GT cars excluded.
The following users liked this post:
dashanin (08-18-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 08:44 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,282 Likes on 2,749 Posts

Originally Posted by carsrmyvice
I call BS on it hurting resale. Honestly I typically end up trading my cars in rather than private sale in which case the best result is going to be with a white/silver etc low spec base C2 every time. GT cars excluded.
Trading in is a completely different story than actually selling your car.

I would agree that trade in values are not generally affected significantly by individual options -- typically the highest return, in my experience, has been with a low option car.

That said, if you are selling the car yourself, desirable options may make a difference in how quickly the car sells.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
dashanin (08-18-2020), russbert (06-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 08:51 AM
gatorfast
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 257 Posts

Are you buying this car for yourself or the next owner? Get the options YOU want. Leave off the ones you dont.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:28 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

I agree with all you guys. PSE may (just may) help with a private sale, but how many of us really do that? If you want it, buy it. If not, leave it off.

I've had PSE on all my 911s and even retro-fitted it to my first one. When ordering a 992, I'll be leaving it off. The car does sound great, but I've learned over the years it sounds better outside the car than inside of it and I don't need to spend money to make others think my car sounds good. Also, I don't know if it's the same in a 992, but in my 991.1, I actually turn PSE off when steady speed cruising on the highway due a very annoying drone (to my ear). Finally, I just prefer the quad pipe look. So I've run out of reasons to spend another $2 or $3k.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:28 AM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Received 732 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Trading in is a completely different story than actually selling your car.

I would agree that trade in values are not generally affected significantly by individual options -- typically the highest return, in my experience, has been with a low option car.

That said, if you are selling the car yourself, desirable options may make a difference in how quickly the car sells.
While I wouldn't buy one without PSE, there are plenty of folks who will. Just an FYI, I had one of the 1st switchable PSE back in 2003 (at least where I lived at the time) and my wife thought it was STRICTLY a "guy" thing. But when I purchased a 2004 TT, she was all over the 2003 and LOVED the exhaust! I still kid her about it to this day, but you can disable it. My 992 will NOT have a sunroof, and not only did my SA say something about that, but the configuration website did as well (basically are you SURE)?

But the entire trade-in versus selling it yourself is also a key component. Sounds like yours will NOT have it and that works just fine.
Old 06-17-2020, 10:53 AM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 405 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by TheStanman
Is that true for the 992? While that was the case for the 991, I thought it was more difficult/expensive for the 992 due to the integration into the rear body parts.

Personally, I don't believe that it impacts resale that much. I think it's a just upsell tactic by the dealer.
​​
The PSE works with any of the exhaust tips (rectangular, quad, or oval). None of the tips actually attach to the exhaust, but rather are held in place by the rear valence, so when adding the PSE later you don't have to change out the rear valence or tips (unless you just want the oval and then it would require a new valence and tips which are pretty expensive). You can by a new PSE for less than $3,000 and sometimes you can find one for sale that has been removed to install an aftermarket exhaust (there's one currently for sale on this forum for $1,795 + $100 shipping). A dealer will typically charge about $1,000 to install a PSE and program the valves.

Quick Reply: PSE function and necessity for resale