Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 audio choices

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 03:20 PM
lovegolf
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone. I just joined the forum. Question, I'm debating upgrading to the Bose system in my 992 carrera S. Is it worth it?
Old 10-29-2020, 03:40 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,205 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegolf
Hello everyone. I just joined the forum. Question, I'm debating upgrading to the Bose system in my 992 carrera S. Is it worth it?
I'm not an audiophile and the road noise when moving in a 992 is IMHO rather intrusive. Having purchased new and later sold (private party) a number of Corvettes, NOT having the Bose System option on them would have been an obstacle. Between the road noise and the inherent squeaks and rattles that are numerous on a Corvette, with more than a few thousand miles on the clock, the value of the audio system upgrade might be questionable. But try convincing a prospective buyer of that . . . . good luck!
Old 10-29-2020, 03:57 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 7,799 Likes on 2,902 Posts

Bose is the Goldilocks choice.
The following users liked this post:
ryandarr1979 (10-30-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 06:16 PM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 182 Posts

Road noise in the 992 varies greatly during the driving experience, yes? So since it's not at full dB all the time, enjoying music quality does matter. I drive in the city almost all of the time and I would still want good stereo sound for all the time I'm at a stoplight, when I'm cruising on a road (that isn't littered with speed bumps or pot holes), etc. Highway driving is another time where "road noise" is a non-issue - You're not accelerating hard most of the time.
mathus7 (10-30-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 12:57 AM
carsrmyvice
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

My Bose sounds horrible rattles like a tin can. This is the worst sound system I’ve had in a car. Some days it ok the next it sounds like half the speakers are blown.
NigelPlays (10-30-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 11:53 AM
mathus7
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

The Bose system in 992 can be set to auto adjust the sound level depending upon ambient noise. This is a nice feature. The Bose system, if properly adjusted, seems quite adequate but not near audiophile experience. With regard to Bose speaker rattles, there is an active Porsche Service Bulletin calling for test and replacement if found bad. It appears that this affects quite a number of 992s produced in 2019. They replaced both of my door speakers. Compared to the base and Burmeister alternatives, I think the Bose is the way to go. I also own a 991.1 with Bose system and the one in the 992 is improved.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:35 PM
MVRK
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by carsrmyvice
My Bose sounds horrible rattles like a tin can. This is the worst sound system I’ve had in a car. Some days it ok the next it sounds like half the speakers are blown.
I'll go out on a limb and say this, having blown a Bose speaker in a Macan S and also having experienced the rattle that required the speaker to be replaced/secured in place, I'll confirm the sound is very different. The blow is more of a buzz, where certain ranges are just non-existent and base has more of a hollow pop, where as the rattle is induced by the highs and lows and doesn't necessarily distort the sound, as much as it ruins the experience.

All this to say, I don't think the rattle is necessarily a testament to the sound quality as much as poor installation or QC, because when operating correctly, the Bose really isn't that far off from the Burm system. That being said, we also have a Taycan Turbo S in the driveway with the Burm system and having also driven a Taycan with the Bose system, I'll confirm if you're an audiophile, the difference is noticeable in an EV...but its hard to imagine it would be noticeable in a car with any engine noise whatsoever, if the speakers aren't constantly running at "concert levels" of volume.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:41 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,714 Likes on 1,438 Posts

I'm no audiophile but spec'd Bose because even I could tell the difference between that and the 'standard' system in earlier generations. Plus most cars have it and as much as we say not to do this, for eventual resale it seems pretty mandatory.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:57 PM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 836 Likes on 417 Posts

I spec'ed Bose but keep in mind, the cabin and dynamics of a 992 are far from ideal for an audiophile experience. If you want to improve the listening experience, you are going to need to sacrifice the driving experience, by adding sound deadening material. I would work with Bose as a starting point and then start upgrading components, starting with tweeters, then subs, then component mid-range speakers/woofers with amps for the doors and rear panels. Dynaudio makes excellent components. I'd also work with a reputable installer like Musicar Northwest with a super-clean install that can be reversed with minimal holes drilled to return the car to stock audio if necessary for trading in or selling the car. Burmester seems like an OK system but for the extra money, I'd go all the way and go aftermarket. The Burmester is still a budget system as "premium OEM upgrades" go.

Last edited by ryandarr1979; 10-30-2020 at 12:59 PM.
MVRK (10-30-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 10:09 PM
ChalkThe911
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 81 Posts

If you are an audiophile go with the Burmester. Personally I went with the Burmester and my friend who is an audiophile got in the car and was impressed. I told him I couldn't tell the difference from my Audi's B&O. So that should be your starting point 😂

Can you hear the difference or care?
Old 11-06-2020, 09:29 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 822 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by ChalkThe911
If you are an audiophile go with the Burmester. Personally I went with the Burmester and my friend who is an audiophile got in the car and was impressed. I told him I couldn't tell the difference from my Audi's B&O. So that should be your starting point 😂

I just posted this up to YouTube... does this qualify me as an audiophile? 😂

ChalkThe911 (11-08-2020)
Old 11-06-2020, 10:50 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Really interesting point about whether or not you can tell the difference. I would take it one step farther—even if you can tell the difference is it worthwhile in the context of driving your car? The answer to this will be wildly personal. I think of wine as an analogy. —I can tell the difference, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to open a Sine Qua Non and pour it in a red party cup while standing around a campfire. I will be able to tell if it’s better than a reasonably priced, high quality wine that cost $50 at the grocery store, but it’s the wrong context—for *me*—to bring out the good stuff.

A high-end stereo in a Porsche 911 is in the same category *for me*.

Hopefully I made it clear enough I’m not trying to diss anybody’s personal position on this topic :-)
NVRANUF (11-07-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 12:09 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,079 Likes on 4,892 Posts

Originally Posted by ChalkThe911
If you are an audiophile don't drive a Porsche 911. Personally I went with the Burmester and my friend who is an audiophile got in the car and was impressed. I told him I couldn't tell the difference from my Audi's B&O. So that should be your starting point 😂

FIFY
ChalkThe911 (11-08-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 01:24 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,205 Posts

Originally Posted by markchristenson
. . . . . and pour it in a red party cup while standing around a campfire.
Now then . . . . "standing around a campfire" . . . . . that's when I break out the Two-Buck-Chuck!
markchristenson (11-07-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 06:09 AM
PBM
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 992Sam
I just posted this up to YouTube... does this qualify me as an audiophile? 😂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH5YAbCfDJ8&t=247s

....not in the corner of a bedroom no, maybe properly placed in a living room ( or listening room ) . Saying that ...there is nothing such as an "audiophile" apart from boring ( usually old ) farts in pullovers who stand around talking about the pretend merits of mystical cables and power strips.
Apart from my unwarranted spewings .....that is some sweet kit you got there. Buying quality is never a mistake when one can afford .

Quick Reply: 992 audio choices