Jack Pads?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 09:41 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

The issue is safety.

It is unsafe and unwise to work on a vehicle supported by a jack (using a jack pad).

Proper service operation requires a vehicle to be jacked at a designated jacking point, then lowered onto a jack stand, also at a designated stand point.
Old 05-17-2023, 09:49 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,480 Likes on 628 Posts

What's wrong with just a hockey puck? I've used them for years. You can buy 10 for $15.
The following users liked this post:
Fullyield (07-16-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 10:00 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wingless
The issue is safety.

It is unsafe and unwise to work on a vehicle supported by a jack (using a jack pad).

Proper service operation requires a vehicle to be jacked at a designated jacking point, then lowered onto a jack stand, also at a designated stand point.
Originally Posted by Denny Swift
What's wrong with just a hockey puck? I've used them for years. You can buy 10 for $15.
There may be nothing wrong w/ a hockey puck.

A vehicle should never be serviced while supported only by a jack. A jack can fail suddenly and w/o warning, potentially causing injury and property damage.

Service should only be performed by a vehicle supported by a jack stand, or another proper structure, but never while supported only by a jack.
The following users liked this post:
ddelallata (05-17-2023)
Old 06-10-2023, 01:05 AM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 227 Posts

I loved my Tesla ones for my 992. I now have a 718 and wondering if they will work.
Old 06-10-2023, 08:37 AM
tourenwagen
Three Wheelin'

Received 4,093 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I just had my 992 up on jack stands to swap out the suspension. Zero problems.

The following 2 users liked this post by tourenwagen:
pal (10-07-2023), wingless (06-10-2023)
Old 07-15-2023, 07:57 PM
znem
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried the 992 specific Jack Pads from Flat 6 Motorsports? https://flat6motorsports.com/product...ad-adapter-992

I am planning on using these with a QuickJack fwiw.
Old 07-16-2023, 07:14 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,227 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by znem
Has anyone tried the 992 specific Jack Pads from Flat 6 Motorsports? https://flat6motorsports.com/product...ad-adapter-992

I am planning on using these with a QuickJack fwiw.
$64 + sales tax + shipping for four jack pads???? Wow! How about 4 hockey pucks for $12 on Amazon ……..or use an angle grinder to cut down the oval pad on your 991 jack pads so they fit for zero cost….​​​​​​…BOPE solution above with scrap lumber looks good too. Just jack pads????
Old 07-16-2023, 10:15 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fullyield
$64 + sales tax + shipping for four jack pads???? Wow! How about 4 hockey pucks for $12 on Amazon ……..or use an angle grinder to cut down the oval pad on your 991 jack pads so they fit for zero cost….​​​​​​…BOPE solution above with scrap lumber looks good too. Just jack pads????
+1, if it is possible to save a buck, then go for it…

But, don’t compromise safety, such as by working on a vehicle supported by a jack, instead of a jack stand.

Also, don’t damage the vehicle. As an example, I recently serviced my other daughter’s Nissan and discovered some past “expert” raised the vehicle using a saddle jack on the unibody vertical lifting point lip, bending it sooo severely that the lip tool couldn’t work. That service started with bending the lip back into shape.
Old 07-16-2023, 11:33 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Agree with your jack safety comments which you have stated repeatedly. I did not advocate ever using a jack without a jack stand so unsure of why you are making that response. The thread is about jack pads, not jack safety …..which is not an issue for those using Quick Jacks which is also the preferred solution short of a two or four post lift. Anyone who damages a car during lifting should not be doing their own work anyway. See post # 25 & 29.

Last edited by Fullyield; 07-16-2023 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-16-2023, 12:22 PM
znem
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wingless
+1, if it is possible to save a buck, then go for it…

But, don’t compromise safety, such as by working on a vehicle supported by a jack, instead of a jack stand.

Also, don’t damage the vehicle. As an example, I recently serviced my other daughter’s Nissan and discovered some past “expert” raised the vehicle using a saddle jack on the unibody vertical lifting point lip, bending it sooo severely that the lip tool couldn’t work. That service started with bending the lip back into shape.
This is one problem I'm trying to avoid with the 992 specific jack pads. I have a Quick Jack which is awesome in some ways but it moves fore (or aft) as it raises so positioning the hockey pucks on the Quick Jack perfectly on all four corners while my view is blocked by the Quick Jack itself means that I highly prefer to have the jack pads affixed to the car so I can see when it makes contact to the rubber blocks and it is well centered.

My desire to perfectly center the pads, rubber blocks and the Quick Jacks are arguably a little overkill, but then so is my (first) 911.
Old 07-16-2023, 12:38 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by znem
This is one problem I'm trying to avoid with the 992 specific jack pads. I have a Quick Jack which is awesome in some ways but it moves fore (or aft) as it raises so positioning the hockey pucks on the Quick Jack perfectly on all four corners while my view is blocked by the Quick Jack itself means that I highly prefer to have the jack pads affixed to the car so I can see when it makes contact to the rubber blocks and it is well centered.

My desire to perfectly center the pads, rubber blocks and the Quick Jacks are arguably a little overkill, but then so is my (first) 911.
No argument at all with your logic. Only issue is the $$. I have used the shorter rubber blocks that came with my QJ on 981, 997, 991 and 992 without issue.

Quick Reply: Jack Pads?