Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchase Advice 992 vs 991

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 03:11 AM
992carreraS
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 66 Posts

The 992S didn't do it for me. Traded it in on a 2018 991.2S. Although I miss the speed and nuanced braking of the 992, there were other reasons (PCM, materials, rattles, body size, ...) that made me switch back a generation. Could not be happier. Try both in the environment you intend to use it.
Old 08-15-2020, 05:26 AM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by 992carreraS
The 992S didn't do it for me. Traded it in on a 2018 991.2S. Although I miss the speed and nuanced braking of the 992, there were other reasons (PCM, materials, rattles, body size, ...) that made me switch back a generation. Could not be happier. Try both in the environment you intend to use it.
Bummer hearing about rattles. I hope Porsche gets this sorted at some point.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:36 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,282 Likes on 2,749 Posts

Originally Posted by Marantz2270
I have zero rattles at 2000 miles. As in 0.0. YMMV
Old 08-15-2020, 08:19 AM
craig66
Pro

Received 497 Likes on 221 Posts

Thanks all for your input. I absolutely agree that the car I buy is the one that speaks to me the most. The problem I am having right now is that Covid makes the process a lot harder. Arranging test drives is definitely harder and more complicated. As my SA told me, in the old days they would jump into the car with even a tire kicker as even on the remote chance they would buy the car it was worth it. Now days not so much. I also respect new cars and so when I take a test drive on a car with 15 miles I am not going to rev above 4K and furthermore most cars only come alive after 10K miles. And so I come online seeking others opinions and although no one can tell me what to do, hearing ones journey does help to organize my thoughts.

In general the older the car, the closer one gets to the ideals of a Porsche Sports car but along with that comes old technology, older insides and increased repair costs, not to mention rattles and just a car showing its age. The newer the car, the newer the insides, the better the warranty and often the better the technology but yes you are dealing with a more bloated tourer than a pure sports car.

A CPO can help make an older car a safer bet, not that I think Porsche dealers will provide me with a perfect car but rather it gives me two years to find the issues and have them repaired under warranty.

Thanks
Old 08-15-2020, 08:58 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon35
Looking at a 991. Somewhat price sensitive
Options for me are

1. 2017 - 2018 CPO C2 with Sports Chrono and PSE. Expect to pay around 84K. Like that it is the cheapest options of my choices
2. 2017 -2018 CPO C2S with sportt Chrono and PSE. Expect to pay mid 90's.
3. 2020/2021 New C2 with sport Chrono and PSE with a 4-5% discount expect to pay Around 105

Like that the 2020 is new and will have a full 4 year warranty and will have the same power as the 991.2 C2S but between 1 and 3 is 20K difference. Is it worth it?
Yes.

Get the 992.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:49 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,282 Likes on 2,749 Posts

Originally Posted by craig66
Thanks all for your input. I absolutely agree that the car I buy is the one that speaks to me the most. The problem I am having right now is that Covid makes the process a lot harder. Arranging test drives is definitely harder and more complicated. As my SA told me, in the old days they would jump into the car with even a tire kicker as even on the remote chance they would buy the car it was worth it. Now days not so much. I also respect new cars and so when I take a test drive on a car with 15 miles I am not going to rev above 4K and furthermore most cars only come alive after 10K miles. And so I come online seeking others opinions and although no one can tell me what to do, hearing ones journey does help to organize my thoughts.

In general the older the car, the closer one gets to the ideals of a Porsche Sports car but along with that comes old technology, older insides and increased repair costs, not to mention rattles and just a car showing its age. The newer the car, the newer the insides, the better the warranty and often the better the technology but yes you are dealing with a more bloated tourer than a pure sports car.

A CPO can help make an older car a safer bet, not that I think Porsche dealers will provide me with a perfect car but rather it gives me two years to find the issues and have them repaired under warranty.

Thanks
This is my opinion -- ironically, I find the newer cars a little closer in spirit to the older cars than the 991. Don't get me wrong -- EXTREMELY different cars to the air-cooled, but the 992 is maybe a small step in the right direction.

The 992 is certainly not a "bloated tourer" compared to the 991. You'll need to go back to the 997 if you want a car that feels meaningfully smaller.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:04 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
This is my opinion -- ironically, I find the newer cars a little closer in spirit to the older cars than the 991. Don't get me wrong -- EXTREMELY different cars to the air-cooled, but the 992 is maybe a small step in the right direction.

The 992 is certainly not a "bloated tourer" compared to the 991. You'll need to go back to the 997 if you want a car that feels meaningfully smaller.
It’s funny to read how bloated the 992 has become. My narrow body 991.2 indoor and outdoor car covers fit the 992 just fine.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:30 AM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,297 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Originally Posted by Marantz2270
Regardless of brand. There will ALWAYS be a few bad eggs with first year runs. They are the exception, not the rule. As I had zero rattles in my 992. So the numbers effected are small in the grand scheme.

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
It’s funny to read how bloated the 992 has become. My narrow body 991.2 indoor and outdoor car covers fit the 992 just fine.
This topic has been beaten to death and debunked several times. Car is still light & nimble as ever. Dims are nearly identical to the wide bodies of the 991 gen.

Though I love to see previous gen owners talk their way out of getting the next; when I’d bet my bottom dollar they’ll end up in a 992 before the gen ends.
The following users liked this post:
aggie57 (08-18-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 10:47 AM
rumnyc
Instructor

Received 154 Likes on 73 Posts

I would be happy with 991.1 and i would be happier with 991.2 but i would never choose either if i could do a 992. It seems with 992 porsche set out to clearly differentiate 911 from 718 cars and they have taken it up a few notches in all areas compared to 991.x
Metalblond (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 12:47 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,616 Likes on 775 Posts

My 992 doesn't feel larger to me than my 997.2 GTS. On all fronts, my base 992 beats the 6-speed Aerokit Cup, LWB-equipped 997.2 GTS I had. Better handling, MUCH better chassis compliance, dramatically improved interior...and significantly faster. You'd have to drag me kicking and screaming back to a NA Porsche flat six or a car with hydraulic steering. The 991 was a transition generation for Porsche (turbos in mainstream 911s, electric rack, electronic chassis systems, etc.): they've knocked it out of the park with the 992, notwithstanding ongoing problems I've experienced with Porsche Connect, Comfort Access and CarPlay, which don't impact the actual driving experience.

Last edited by gcurnew; 08-15-2020 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:20 PM
carsrmyvice
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I think it’s worth it. Zero FN chance you’ll be on your death bed lamenting that extra 20k you spent to get the new 911 back in 2020!
SpinDoctorMario (11-28-2021)
Old 08-15-2020, 03:15 PM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 181 Posts

Thanks all for your input. I absolutely agree that the car I buy is the one that speaks to me the most. The problem I am having right now is that Covid makes the process a lot harder. Arranging test drives is definitely harder and more complicated. As my SA told me, in the old days they would jump into the car with even a tire kicker as even on the remote chance they would buy the car it was worth it. Now days not so much
This is BS if your local dealer is balking at a test drive. If anything, they should be more desperate to unload inventory sitting on their lot. My Northern California dealer let me test drive a C2S and also a cabriolet. Like you, I was careful to not abuse the privilege but I drove it on and off the highway enough to understand the dynamics. Later, I asked to drive the car I was interested in again and they gave us the keys to test drive ourselves one last time.

This is a major purchase... Dealerships must expect a certain amount of required test driving and adapt to the situation. No, you can't tell the nuance between a car with 0 miles and 10K miles but you can certainly tell the difference in a short test drive between a 992 and a 991.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikey94025:
Metalblond (08-15-2020), OliverK68 (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 03:20 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,016 Likes on 4,868 Posts

Thanks
I think you're over thinking it.

Go test drive the damn cars. It should not be difficult, even with Covid.

With my dealer, they will literally drive the car to my front door, and let me have the car for a couple of hours to test drive. (Heck, I even got to "test drive" a Taycan Turbo for a week during Covid doing it this way; it's not difficult at all).

So test drive logistics out of the way, rev out the darn car. You're not going to hurt it. It's a mechanical object, meant to be driven hard. If you want to see the kind of use and abuse these cars go through, try a class at the PEC either in Atlanta or LA.

Stop over thinking whether an older Porsche is a more true sport car (nonsense) or whether a newer one is more bloated (balderdash).

Just go drive both (or all three that you're looking at). Then decide which car you want, then make the best deal you can.

Like I tried to say up above, buy the car, not the deal.

Good luck, and enjoy the hunt.
The following 4 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
AlexCeres (08-15-2020), Metalblond (08-15-2020), mikey94025 (08-16-2020), SpinDoctorMario (11-28-2021)
Old 08-15-2020, 04:33 PM
Metalblond
Pro

Received 417 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by rumnyc
I would be happy with 991.1 and i would be happier with 991.2 but i would never choose either if i could do a 992. It seems with 992 porsche set out to clearly differentiate 911 from 718 cars and they have taken it up a few notches in all areas compared to 991.x
I also have a Cayman and there was a definite similarity between the 991.2 and that. Definitely not with the 992-- you are absolutely right.
rumnyc (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 04:54 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,550 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I think you're over thinking it.
Go test drive the damn cars. It should not be difficult, even with Covid.

With my dealer, they will literally drive the car to my front door, and let me have the car for a couple of hours to test drive. (Heck, I even got to "test drive" a Taycan Turbo for a week during Covid doing it this way; it's not difficult at all).

So test drive logistics out of the way, rev out the darn car. You're not going to hurt it. It's a mechanical object, meant to be driven hard. If you want to see the kind of use and abuse these cars go through, try a class at the PEC either in Atlanta or LA.
+1. PEC at LA or Atlanta is a terrific amount of fun. Can’t say enough positive things about flogging somebody else’s car around the track, getting to choose any flavor, and the instructors.

Quick Reply: Purchase Advice 992 vs 991