Sponsored by:

Are You a Slave to Your 911?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 12:07 AM
Juan.Valencia
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
Cost per mile is cut in half driving a 911 twelve months of the year instead of six, and it doesn’t hurt the car one bit to see a little snow and sleet, much less rain. I view tires, brakes and windshields as consumables, and a deft hand with Dr Colorchip takes care of any road rash. A production line 911 is a very nice car but not in the least collectible. Its real value to me is using it as a highly entertaining transportation tool, not washing/detailing and seeing it depreciate in the garage while waiting for the next owner who will eat Cheetos in it and dry it with polyester towels after its 4x a year wash.
Well-said.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:17 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,016 Likes on 4,868 Posts

I don't even bother to wash my car.

I take it to dealer.

Get to fill up on espresso and fresh baked cookies while I wait.

Win. Win.
The following 4 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
drgav2005 (10-27-2020), dribar (10-09-2020), Juan.Valencia (10-07-2020), OMTarga4S (12-31-2023)
Old 10-07-2020, 12:32 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,550 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I don't even bother to wash my car.

I take it to dealer.

Get to fill up on espresso and fresh baked cookies while I wait.

Win. Win.
They charged me $1000 for that car wash. It did come with a free set of PS4S.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlexCeres:
bboerit (10-07-2020), drgav2005 (10-27-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 12:52 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,016 Likes on 4,868 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
They charged me $1000 for that car wash. It did come with a free set of PS4S.
I get my car washed every 3-4 weeks.

It's a nice way to catchup with the SM and GM, and maybe even test drive a car or two. And, of course those espresso shots are great.
The following users liked this post:
rouxeny (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 09:57 AM
carsrmyvice
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Nope. I take care of it but don’t find myself rushing to grab two buckets and wash the dust off weekly. That’s why I buy white or silver lol
Old 10-07-2020, 10:04 AM
FSB
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan.Valencia
Allow me to explain. I jokingly ask my wife if she's ever seen a dirty 911. She, of course, rolls her eyes, and walks away. I try to avoid puddles; just today, as I was driving down the highway, I had to drive through a plume of dust from some construction being done in the median, and my heart skipped a beat; I am deathly afraid of a truck kicking up a stone; dirt on the road makes me shiver; I have become super-duper vigilant on where I park; and so on. The list is long. I'm not saying my car has to be 100% dealer-immaculate every time I drive it, but... well, close. I love doing two things that are diametrically opposed to each other: drive my car, and keep my car clean.

So, how clean do you keep your 911? Are you obsessed with its cleanliness? Do you even drive it in the rain (I do)? Have you cleaned it, and then cleaned it again (the whole thing) three days later after a bird **** on it? No? Just me? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Also, for some context: my first 911, but not my first Porsche. We've owned Bimmers, Jags, Maseratis, and Benzes; so, not my first luxury car, but the most expensive. I don't have a DD. I work from home (even before COVID), and drive very little. This is my only car, plus my wife's Maserati.
Thx for this thread!

Mine 911 is summer DD in my family, main driver is my wife. My role is to keep our 911 in mint condition, so it's always clean with full fuel tank etc
But I believe that we have a partnership with 911 - we ride it whenever and wherever we want: long trips, track days, trips with children, etc
Old 10-08-2020, 12:44 PM
mh992
5th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel like a slave to this car and it hasn’t even been delivered yet. I’m constantly wondering if I should have upgraded the color scheme, wheels, etc.

But I obsessed over this before I put down the deposit so I’m confident I’ll still get a great car!
Old 10-08-2020, 01:47 PM
WellDressedCar
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 61 Posts

I wash mine almost every Sunday afternoon. It's therapy for me. Seriously. I spend 1-2 hours by myself, completing the task with laser focus. It's very rewarding and is actually when I come up with my best ideas, de-stress, and breathe....
The following 2 users liked this post by WellDressedCar:
dribar (10-09-2020), Patriot (03-29-2021)
Old 10-08-2020, 02:35 PM
997at
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 29 Posts

I have to add on the your thoughts. I fully agree that these cars are meant to be driven anywhere and in any conditions. I just got back from a 7,000 mile road trip across the US. I left from SF and visited family and friends in Interlochen Michigan, Brooklyn, Nashville, LA and just yesterday made it back to SF. The car is still blemish free although very dirty with a nice solid coating of bugs splattered across the front bumper. I'll wash her later today or tomorrow. I'll post another thread with some of the pics and observations I took along the way. What actually made me respond to the post was your avatar. See my pic below I took while on the return leg of the journey.

Originally Posted by detansinn
My 911 exists to serve me. I've taken it on some extensive roadtrips, loaded it full of gear, driven it down gravel/dirt roads, and enjoyed it in all weather. The best part about getting it dirty is that you get to clean it up!

Even with the pandemic and a walking commute to work, I've managed to put 13k miles on this car in the first year. While I take very good care of my cars, I use them as "cars" -- they're best enjoyed driven. I'm not particularly uptight about it. I keep them clean, maintained, and drive them like they're meant to be driven. It's honestly one of the reasons that I bought a 911 -- they're not fragile.
Juan.Valencia (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 02:44 PM
politeperson
Racer

Received 474 Likes on 145 Posts

Taken 10 Minutes ago, just for you. Filthy.

Cleans up in a minute or two with the ceramic coating and a 3 phase jet wash.

11,000 miles down and very happy.

Last edited by politeperson; 10-08-2020 at 02:46 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by politeperson:
aggie57 (10-08-2020), detansinn (10-08-2020), drgav2005 (10-27-2020), gcurnew (10-08-2020), Juan.Valencia (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 03:18 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 7,775 Likes on 2,899 Posts

Originally Posted by politeperson
Taken 10 Minutes ago, just for you. Filthy.

Cleans up in a minute or two with the ceramic coating and a 3 phase jet wash.

11,000 miles down and very happy.
Dirty 911s make me happy. Love it.
Old 10-08-2020, 03:21 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 7,775 Likes on 2,899 Posts

Originally Posted by 997at
I have to add on the your thoughts. I fully agree that these cars are meant to be driven anywhere and in any conditions. I just got back from a 7,000 mile road trip across the US. I left from SF and visited family and friends in Interlochen Michigan, Brooklyn, Nashville, LA and just yesterday made it back to SF. The car is still blemish free although very dirty with a nice solid coating of bugs splattered across the front bumper. I'll wash her later today or tomorrow. I'll post another thread with some of the pics and observations I took along the way. What actually made me respond to the post was your avatar. See my pic below I took while on the return leg of the journey.
Dude. Awesome!
My trip was 3800 miles and 12 states in August. Following Route 66 is a blast.

aggie57 (10-08-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 08:04 AM
britpop
Track Day

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WellDressedCar
I wash mine almost every Sunday afternoon. It's therapy for me. Seriously. I spend 1-2 hours by myself, completing the task with laser focus. It's very rewarding and is actually when I come up with my best ideas, de-stress, and breathe....
Thank God it's not just me. Neighbors think I'm weird/obsessive/old school. But it is therapy!
The following 2 users liked this post by britpop:
detansinn (10-09-2020), dribar (10-27-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 09:43 AM
michael818
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan.Valencia
Allow me to explain. I jokingly ask my wife if she's ever seen a dirty 911. She, of course, rolls her eyes, and walks away. I try to avoid puddles; just today, as I was driving down the highway, I had to drive through a plume of dust from some construction being done in the median, and my heart skipped a beat; I am deathly afraid of a truck kicking up a stone; dirt on the road makes me shiver; I have become super-duper vigilant on where I park; and so on. The list is long. I'm not saying my car has to be 100% dealer-immaculate every time I drive it, but... well, close. I love doing two things that are diametrically opposed to each other: drive my car, and keep my car clean.

So, how clean do you keep your 911? Are you obsessed with its cleanliness? Do you even drive it in the rain (I do)? Have you cleaned it, and then cleaned it again (the whole thing) three days later after a bird **** on it? No? Just me? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Also, for some context: my first 911, but not my first Porsche. We've owned Bimmers, Jags, Maseratis, and Benzes; so, not my first luxury car, but the most expensive. I don't have a DD. I work from home (even before COVID), and drive very little. This is my only car, plus my wife's Maserati.
I use the car year round and clean it twice a year at my detailer. The cleanings coincide with summer/winter wheel changes so it is clean once in the spring and once in the fall. Otherwise, I may run it through a car wash if it is really dirty. One caveat is that the car is ceramic coated and doesn't seem to get as dirty and my previous versions. I understand that some people like cleaning their cars - I don't. Just remember, ultimately it's just a car. Enjoy it and do what it takes to make you happy.
detansinn (10-09-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 07:44 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 760 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by WellDressedCar
i do the same. We call them ‘car wash parties’ at our home.

Quick Reply: Are You a Slave to Your 911?