Sponsored by:

PSE w/ Soul Cats or Akrapovic w/ stock cats

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2023, 11:02 AM
tourenwagen
Three Wheelin'

Received 4,093 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Malakas
As others have said, cats will get you power (even more power if you tune) and Akra will get you sound. I've heard cats + PSE + ME tune (where the valve are 100% open on Sport) sounds pretty amazing. Thats probably the way I would have gone but I jumped in the JCR group buy, so ended up with cats + JCR + tune. It's a slippery slope..... Lol
That's what I have too. Probably the best we're going to get these 3.0's to sound.
The following 2 users liked this post by tourenwagen:
Malakas (12-11-2023), vg247 (12-11-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 02:03 PM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by tourenwagen
That's what I have too. Probably the best we're going to get these 3.0's to sound.
No lie, it sounds incredible.
Old 12-11-2023, 02:42 PM
DYSL
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Malakas
As others have said, cats will get you power (even more power if you tune) and Akra will get you sound. I've heard cats + PSE + ME tune (where the valve are 100% open on Sport) sounds pretty amazing. Thats probably the way I would have gone but I jumped in the JCR group buy, so ended up with cats + JCR + tune. It's a slippery slope..... Lol
Thanks for the feedback. I have heard with Cats, PSE, and Tune, you get the most bang for the buck.

Last edited by DYSL; 12-11-2023 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-11-2023, 03:29 PM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by DYSL
Thanks for the feedback. I have heard with what Cats, PSE, and Tune, you get the most bang for the buck.
If I did it all over again, that's what I would do. The tune is something I went back and forth about for quite some time but now I can't imagine being without it. Same thing for the exhaust modification... I asked M-engineering to give me all different tunes with OEM valves, valves all the way open at sport etc.... all the way open on Sport (or sport+) is the very best IMO.
Old 12-11-2023, 03:43 PM
DYSL
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Im doing the great debate on the tune as well. The Cats and Akra Muffler give pretty good results for a bolt on system
Old 12-11-2023, 03:47 PM
Jeahbladejeah
Rennlist Member

Received 274 Likes on 121 Posts

Quite honestly, if you don't open the valves you're paying all that money for only 60% of the benefit. Put another way, you won't hear 40% of what you're paying for.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jeahbladejeah:
jlegelis (12-11-2023), Master Deep (12-11-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 05:46 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,537 Likes on 867 Posts

You could spend $600 and have the sound you're looking for without changing any hardware.
The following users liked this post:
Fullyield (12-21-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 06:03 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,454 Likes on 530 Posts

Hey guys just wanted to chime in here!

First and foremost, for power you will want to do the upgraded link pipes. Whether it be 200 cell or competition pipes. These do require tuning that puts you up to the Stage 2 mark. With upgraded link pipes, you can expect enhanced turbo noises (yay!), better throttle and turbo response, and increased power. Link pipes generally add 20 to 30whp over the stock link pipes. We have had many happy customers running the SOUL pipes.

For the catback section, this particular part does not effect the Stage of the car. You can run Stage 1 or a stock calibration with just the upgraded muffler only. However, by doing the PSE valve mod which we created custom code for, we can open up the valves 100% of the way rather than the partial opening that Porsche provides on the stock calibration in Sport/Sport +. The factory calibration opens the valves up all the way in a progressive fashion depending on your RPM/load that you are at. With the PSE valve mod, the valves are always forced open. This gives you a really nice louder exhaust sound and will also lower the EMAP (good!) in the exhaust. This means better response and more power as a result. Opening the valves up all the way is good for around 12whp as tested on our dyno (mod and octane dependent of course). We have found the lowest EMAP readings on SOUL systems.

-Charles@M
The following 3 users liked this post by M Engineering:
doccoch (03-21-2024), Fullyield (12-21-2023), oshuwah (12-13-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 06:39 PM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Received 652 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by M Engineering
Hey guys just wanted to chime in here!

First and foremost, for power you will want to do the upgraded link pipes. Whether it be 200 cell or competition pipes. These do require tuning that puts you up to the Stage 2 mark. With upgraded link pipes, you can expect enhanced turbo noises (yay!), better throttle and turbo response, and increased power. Link pipes generally add 20 to 30whp over the stock link pipes. We have had many happy customers running the SOUL pipes.

For the catback section, this particular part does not effect the Stage of the car. You can run Stage 1 or a stock calibration with just the upgraded muffler only. However, by doing the PSE valve mod which we created custom code for, we can open up the valves 100% of the way rather than the partial opening that Porsche provides on the stock calibration in Sport/Sport +. The factory calibration opens the valves up all the way in a progressive fashion depending on your RPM/load that you are at. With the PSE valve mod, the valves are always forced open. This gives you a really nice louder exhaust sound and will also lower the EMAP (good!) in the exhaust. This means better response and more power as a result. Opening the valves up all the way is good for around 12whp as tested on our dyno (mod and octane dependent of course). We have found the lowest EMAP readings on SOUL systems.

-Charles@M
Thanks for this Charles. I'd be interested in your input related to a point in your post. If an owner is not interested in a Cat upgrade/change and only wants to run catback an aftermarket exhaust, what advantage does an M-tune offer over a seemingly simpler solution like Cargraphic?
Old 12-11-2023, 07:24 PM
BlitzIS
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 78 Posts

I’m coming from a 991.2 Carrera S that had catless pipes, stock pse, and Softronic tune. I absolutely loved this sound and setup. If my plan is to have the same setup with catless pipes, stock pse muffler and M-Engineering tune, will it be the same as my previous .2? I remember Soul did a pretty in depth explanation about how the stock pse muffler works so I didn’t know if that same muffler design carried over to the 992 generation.
Old 12-11-2023, 07:32 PM
Jeahbladejeah
Rennlist Member

It's close, but in my experience the 992 is a touch quieter than a comparably equipped 991.2.
Old 12-12-2023, 03:23 PM
alim24
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Anyone know what a shop might charge to install sport cats?

Wondering if I should go to a shop or just buy the tools to do it myself
Old 12-12-2023, 03:47 PM
Jeahbladejeah
Rennlist Member

Its very easy to do on the 992. The cost of the tools will be less than the cost of labor at a mechanic.
Old 12-12-2023, 03:49 PM
null
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by alim24
Anyone know what a shop might charge to install sport cats?

Wondering if I should go to a shop or just buy the tools to do it myself
It's pretty straightforward; good opportunity to get on your back and earn your own beer without too much cursing or sweat.
Old 12-20-2023, 08:56 PM
alim24
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

So I tried installing them myself… These bolts are seized up right? Tried using penetrating oil but still could not get them off

Quick Reply: PSE w/ Soul Cats or Akrapovic w/ stock cats